This is why MS is losing the console wars - 'f*** single player story games'

Who the fuck said anything about it toppling CS:GO?

In eSports the King of each genre exists. Overwatch falls under the FPS genre.

Personally i dont care for the game. I got my fill of such a game ttype when i played Team Fortress back in 1999 to 2002 in TWL. However i do enjoy watching certain streamers play the game.

For some context, CSGO was just released in China just last week. Four months ago in China they held a non-Valve sponsored lan for CSGO with a one million dollar prize pool.

In terms of being threatened, not at all. Im just immune to people being naive while calling for a game to be an eSport that is designed for casual play. Winning an eSports award for when an eSports scene doesnt even exist in that game because of game developer(Blizzard) is laughable.

I'll take critic reviews over fanboys/hater reviews any day of the week.

Didn't really care for the diablo3 PvP. You probably incorrectly assumed that I was a diablo series fan.

hahahahahahahahhaa.

i'm dealing with nothing but idiots, i see. no. i was certain you weren't. d2 players overwhelmingly hate d3 for a very obvious reason.

In eSports the King of each genre exists. Overwatch falls under the FPS genre.

Personally i dont care for the game. I got my fill of such a game ttype when i played Team Fortress back in 1999 to 2002 in TWL. However i do enjoy watching certain streamers play the game.

For some context, CSGO was just released in China just last week. Four months ago in China they held a non-Valve sponsored lan for CSGO with a one million dollar prize pool.

In terms of being threatened, not at all. Im just immune to people being naive while calling for a game to be an eSport that is designed for casual play. Winning an eSports award for when an eSports scene doesnt even exist in that game because of game developer(Blizzard) is laughable.
You seem confused about whether or not it is an eSport. Where you are not confused is your preoccupation with refuting the notion that it could even be considered one; attributing mere observation of its undeniable impact, popularity, and presence on Twitch and the largest eSports leagues (i.e. its "scene") to some sort of agenda or crusade to perpetrate this deception on all those millions of players and viewers. I didn't do that, dude. All these gamers, event organizers, and journalists aren't my foot soldiers. They don't answer to me.

We get it. You're a CS:GO diehard just like Rob is a Path of Exile diehard. At least you guys aren't confused about your bubbles, but it's a big world out here where words have meanings and such.

TIL: i'm a diehard of a game i quit about a year ago.

i guess i play it on my xbox. ...along with candy crush, blizzard's finest!

but it's a big world out here where words have meanings and such.

like how you think "best" means "sales?" and how you think "good" means "market investment?"

Last edited:
Ryse?
Quantum Break?
Sunset Overdrive?
Sea of Thieves?
Crackdown?
Dead Rising?
Tomb Raider?

MS really need to sort their library out. Sony's exclusives far outclasses them so if MS want people like me to buy the Scorpio they're going to have to do a lot more than rush out another boring Halo/Gears/Forza cycle..

Yet another clueless 'Halo/Gears/Forza' statement.

Have you even played Gears of Wars?

Ryse?
Quantum Break?
Sunset Overdrive?
Sea of Thieves?
Crackdown?
Dead Rising?
Tomb Raider?

Ryse - Launch title that reviewed terribly. Buddy bought it for launch and I got to check it out and was unimpressed.
Quantum Break - released for PC as well. not exclusive.
Sunset Overdrive - great exclusive
Sea of Thieves - not released yet
Crackdown 3 - not released yet - not exclusive (also a PC release)
Dead Rising - released for PC as well. not exclusive.
Tomb Raider - timed exclusive only. this was the game that could have convinced me to buy an xbone but it was only a timed exclusive so I waited and then bought it for PC.

Only 4 are true exclusives: Forza 6, Ryse, Halo 5 and Sunset Overdrive. I think Gears of War 3 was also released on PC for launch but if I am wrong that you got 5 true exclusives. That's not a lot. 6 if you count the unreleased Sea of Thieves.

Besides Ryse, Dead Rising, and Forza, all the other games you listed (along with Halo and Gears are gun related FPS or 3rd person shooter type games). That's one of the problems I had with this system. There's not enough exclusives and different types of exclusives that would have drawn players like myself to buy an xbone. MS messed up at the beginning and a huge majority of the players immediately sided and bought PS4. And a good chunk of those players (like myself) found very little reason to also buy an Xbone because that list of exclusives simply isn't enough to warrant a purchase.

That is also why Scorpio also needs to have a solid list of exclusives outside of shooter type games if they want to draw gamers like me to buy the system. And if they aren't true exclusives games then I'll buy the PC version...

About thing you highlight in red, he is right and data confirms it.

Overwatch has much lower share of esport hours in total hours compared to other esport games.
Which proves it is not regarded&viewed as competive as top esports.

https://newzoo.com/insights/rankings/top-games-twitch/

Also 2 biggest CSGO online leagues(not that anyone cares about online games) moved to youtube in February, which would make views bigger, but they lead to 2 premier LAN events, which will bring huge numbers. Surprisingly to everyone move from twitch to youtube(in viewer numbers) was almost seamless.

Of course this is only relevant in countries that use twitch as their streaming choice.

But aren't you being a bit harsh? I do not believe Madmick is saying Overwatch is the #1 esport game. He is claiming it is the fastest growing game in terms of player population and has the potential to dominate as an esport. Comparing a new IP to CSGO (almost 5 years old game with roots from the 20 year old all-time great Counter Strike) is not exactly fair at this moment. The esport infrastructure for Overwatch isn't even there yet. Give it another year or two and then we can better assess how Overwatch does...

Last edited:
That sounds reasonable. However, in my opinion it has more chance of collapsing than it has to dominate as esport. Let alone to surpass CS:GO. Maybe in about 5 years, when I project CS:GO will be over as esport.
I am very skeptic of city based teams with no relegation working in NA, let alone EU. It was one of main reasons for killing NA CS and keeping it dead for years.

fair enough. I read about the city based teams setup and I have my doubts as well but I can see what they are trying to do. Esports have developed so far from what it used to be that I can see this being viable. The market is there it just has to be implemented properly...

Ryse?
Quantum Break?
Sunset Overdrive?
Sea of Thieves?
Crackdown?
Dead Rising?
Tomb Raider?

You're calling me clueless after listing a bunch of exclusives that aren't excusive? You need a mirror buddy.

A lot of games, none of them huge in sales, except for Uncharted. Sony won because MS shit the bed, simple. That's why they are making up giving free games left and right, ea access, and so on.
Ryse?
Quantum Break?
Sunset Overdrive?
Sea of Thieves?
Crackdown?
Dead Rising?
Tomb Raider?

Nobody's running out to buy an Xbox for Ryse and Quantom break. LMFAO

Is crackdown even out yet? Sea of thieves looks like dogshit

lol @ Ryse. FFS, that was an XB1 launch game. That's like saying Killzone Shadowfall is a great reason to buy a PS4 in 2017.

I loved Zelda and RPG's back in the day but PvP is where it's at these days and all I play now

Ryse? didn't do very well and was on pc
Quantum Break? flopped
Sunset Overdrive? flopped as well
Sea of Thieves? not sure
Crackdown? the 3rd game is still in development and apparently not going very well
Dead Rising? Actually doing really well
Tomb Raider? another good hit

there ya go

You know the funniest thing about this thread? It misses the point entirely. Why on earth would Microsoft devote a ton of resources to exclusives all over again when they've already made it clear as day they are getting out of that business? Halo has been the defining exclusive franchise on the Xbox since the day the original debuted, and Phil Spencer himself announced that the next Halo will release on both Xbox One and PC:
Halo 6 will release on Windows 10
PC Magazine said:
Halo 5's Forge level creation tool is coming to PC for free, but it's unlikely that Halo 5 itself will follow. The next Halo, however—which we'll call Halo 6—is all but officially confirmed for Windows 10. It's happening.

At this year's Xbox E3 Conference, every first-party Microsoft game—including Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, and Scalebound—was announced for Windows 10 as well as Xbox One. Microsoft's plan for Windows 10 and the Xbox brand also involves making digital purchases apply to both Windows 10 and Xbox, so there's no buying a game twice, and allowing for cross-play between platforms. It seems we're looking at future of nearly identical Microsoft libraries for both PC and Xbox.
It begins with "first-party" titles, but one can reasonably expect it is within their plans to extend this to second-party games they also publish themselves. That accounts for virtually every exclusive IP worth a shit on the Xbox One: Halo, Gears of War, Titanfall, Forza, Rare Replay (and the rest of Rare IP), Quantum Break, Dead Rising, Ori & the Blind Forest, etc.

Don't you guys see the writing on the wall? Microsoft doesn't see the Xbox as a discrete system, anymore. They see it simply as a hardware product that fills a niche, but runs on the same OS (or a fork of it) as their other devices; virtually no different than the Apple TV for Apple. We're talking about a simplified interface version for a simplified input (i.e. dual-analog controller) controlling a cookie-cutter plug-n-play Windows PC. Last summer they began rolling out their Windows 10 apps to the Xbox One. At the same time, they're making Xbox games compatible with Windows 10.
Complete list of Universal Windows apps and games
Microsoft remembered that-- first and foremost-- it's a software company.

They're thinking about three products, not just one. They're thinking about DirectX (gaming), the Xbox (entertainment), and Windows itself (the heart of their business). Unlike Sony, they aren't that threatened by the PC gaming market for the simple reason that they manufacture an integral part of that pipeline: Windows. Why worry about competing with gaming PCs anymore? They're not a competitor. They're disappearing, and they're too expensive. Nobody else can afford to build a set-top box with the Scorpio's power (including a controller) for $400 while also paying licensing for Windows 10. Not a fucking chance. These are different markets, and Microsoft has realized it makes more sense for their interests to establish a common denominator between them.

The whole point of the Xbox, originally, was to wall off Valve & OpenGL from muddying the office PC market while simultaneously giving themselves a foothold in the gaming console market as they developed DirectX for a more robust and flexible PC gaming future. They didn't just want to build the operating system platform for other guys to use to make & sell games without cutting them in for a slice. Fast forward, and DirectX won, but OpenGL is making a comeback; everything is moving towards compatible PC hardware; Microsoft got clobbered by Sony at the launch of the 8th generation of consoles; they then wasted $1bn developing exclusives in 2014 to try to win market share back, and they got almost nothing back for the investment. Meanwhile, as I pointed out on the first page of this thread, all of the blockbuster grossing franchises are PvP-based: on any platform. In the desktop/console world, those are the multiplat titles, but the real elephant in the room are smartphones, and Microsoft is still trying to figure out their road to relevance in that future world.

They have to collapse the space between desktops and phones. The Xbox One forms a bridge, so they're collapsing the space between the PC and the Xbox One first. Ultimately, they want to make it easier for developers to use DirectX, and then market it on every platform: PC, console, and phone/tablet. The great irony is that while Microsoft started this whole thing to shut Gabe Newell up and figure out how to make a profit off a closed-sourced ecosystem...in reality they appear determined to deliver the first truly viable Steambox ever made.

They should call it the SteamXbox.

It sucks for me because I love well made open world adventure games and there just aren't a lot of goods ones that are come out. Between buying the Witcher III (which came out in 2015), the only game I see that I want to play in the future is Elder Scrolls VI and nothing else (Elder Scrolls VI won't be coming out till probably at the mininum 2019), so basically I don't see a game I want in the next few years. It sucks but I just don't care for multiplayer anymore, but I understand why companies don't try and make great open world games, they're expensive and time consuming. Why make an elder scrolls type game or witcher type game when you can pump out a new shitty COD in 1 year and make bank? It sucks for people like me who only play open world games and rpgs, but it is what it is. PLEASE ELDER SCROLLS VI, SAVE ME.

Also as for halo:

-Halo 1 (amazing, revolutionary game)
-Halo 2 (revolutionized multiplayer and overall solid game)
-Halo 3 (one of the goat games. Amazing campaign, multiplayer, and made forge which was awesome. Game was 10/10)
-Halo 4 (very meh, played for a few months and got bored)
-Halo 5 (didn't play, had zero interest in it)
-Halo Reach (didn't care for it and quit after a few months)
-Halo ODST (trainwreck, needs zero explanation as to why)

You know the funniest thing about this thread? It misses the point entirely. Why on earth would Microsoft devote a ton of resources to exclusives all over again when they've already made it clear as day they are getting out of that business? Halo has been the defining exclusive franchise on the Xbox since the day the original debuted, and Phil Spencer himself announced that the next Halo will release on both Xbox One and PC:
Halo 6 will release on Windows 10

It begins with "first-party" titles, but one can reasonably expect it is within their plans to extend this to second-party games they also publish themselves. That accounts for virtually every exclusive IP worth a shit on the Xbox One: Halo, Gears of War, Titanfall, Forza, Rare Replay (and the rest of Rare IP), Quantum Break, Dead Rising, Ori & the Blind Forest, etc.

Don't you guys see the writing on the wall? Microsoft doesn't see the Xbox as a discrete system, anymore. They see it simply as a hardware product that fills a niche, but runs on the same OS (or a fork of it) as their other devices; almost virtually no different than the Apple TV for Apple. We're talking about a simplified interface version for a simplified input (i.e. dual-analog controller) controlling a cookie-cutter plug-n-play Windows PC. Last summer they began rolling out their Windows 10 apps to the Xbox One. At the same time, they're making Xbox games compatible with Windows 10.
Complete list of Universal Windows apps and games
Microsoft remembered that-- first and foremost-- it's a software company.

They're thinking about three products, not just one. They're thinking about DirectX (gaming), the Xbox (entertainment), and Windows itself (the heart of their business). Unlike Sony, they aren't that threatened by the PC gaming market for the simple reason that they manufacture an integral part of that pipeline: Windows. Why worry about competing with gaming PCs anymore? They're not a competitor. They're disappearing, and they're too expensive. Nobody else can afford to build a set-top box with the Scorpio's power (including a controller) for $400 while also paying licensing for Windows 10. Not a fucking chance. These are different markets, and Microsoft has realized it makes more sense for their interests to establish a common denominator between them.

The whole point of the Xbox, originally, was to wall off Valve & OpenGL from muddying the office PC market while simultaneously giving themselves a foothold in the console market as they developed DirectX for a more robust and flexible PC gaming future. They didn't just want to build the operating system platform for other guys to use to make & sell games without cutting them in for a slice. Fast forward, and DirectX won, but OpenGL is making a comeback; everything is moving towards compatible PC hardware; Microsoft got clobbered by Sony at the launch of the 8th generation of consoles; they then wasted $1bn developing exclusives in 2014 to try to win market share back, and they got almost nothing back for the investment. Meanwhile, as I pointed out on the first page of this thread, all of the blockbuster grossing franchises are PvP-based: on any platform. In the desktop/console world, those are the multiplat titles, but the real elephant in the room are smartphones, and Microsoft is still trying to figure out their road to relevance in that future world.

They have to collapse the space between desktops and phones. The Xbox One forms a bridge, so they're collapsing the space between the PC and the Xbox One first. Ultimately, they want to make it easier for developers to use DirectX, and then market it on every platform: PC, console, and phone/tablet. The great irony is that while Microsoft started this whole thing to shut Gabe Newell up and figure out how to make a profit off a closed-sourced ecosystem...in reality they appear determined to deliver the first truly viable Steambox ever made.

They should call it the SteamXbox.

I don't like the X1 but I love how MS is recommitting itself PC gaming. They just need to cave to the Steam system already but this is fine as well.

Could you imagine if MS worked with Steam and the Xbox Store essentially became Steam?
That's precisely what we're talking about, here, except that MS is still trying to figure out how to cut Steam out.

In other words, they're just redrawing the line where they plan to build the wall for their garden. It's good and bad at the same time (like most things).

Remember, they wanted this to be the "Windows Store" originally similar to the iTunes store where apps had to be pre-approved for Windows users to download them. No more third party developers without Microsoft approval. No more semi-open OS. Closing it down. This is what prompted Gabe to flip the the fuck out in the press five years ago with Windows 8:
Gabe Newell: "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."
Gabe Newell quoted by PC Magazine said:
"Valve wouldn't exist today without the PC," he insisted, "or Epic, or Zynga, or Google. They all wouldn't have existed without the openness of the platform. There's a strong temptation to close the platform, because they look at what they can accomplish when they limit the competitors' access to the platform, and they say, 'That's really exciting.'

“We are looking at the platform and saying, 'We've been a free rider, and we've been able to benefit from everything that went into PCs and the Internet, and we have to continue to figure out how there will be open platforms."

Newell even went as far as to say that a change of operating systems may be necessary in the future to preserve the open platform, so get those boot CDs ready.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It's a hedging strategy," he said. "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people."
Kotaku said:
The head of Valve says his company is working to develop for Linux, calling Microsoft's Windows 8 a "catastrophe" that will lead product manufacturers to abandon the platform.

At a gaming event in Seattle last night, as reported by AllThingsD, Valve CEO Gabe Newell said the one thing holding back Linux is video game support.

"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games. People don't realize how critical games are in driving consumer purchasing behavior," Newell said, according to AllThingsD. "We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It's a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we'll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that's true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."
It looks like Microsoft has responded with a hedge of their own. They realized that Gabe was right about closing the operating system down, so they're trying to keep it more open for the office market, phone market, and general users. It makes sense for these markets. At the same time, they're trying to wall off the world of gaming in a pipeline where they manufacture and fully control both the Operating System and API.

Quite an uphill battle.

Back