This is why MS is losing the console wars - 'f*** single player story games'

You seem confused about whether or not it is an eSport.

About thing you highlight in red, he is right and data confirms it.

http://esports-marketing-blog.com/esports-spectator-sport-42-esports-viewers-dont-play-game-watch/

Overwatch brings in the larger percentage of Overwatch players who consume their eSport. However it performs the worst in eSport viewers who dont play that game and watch general eSports content. It (Overwatch) cant even be brought into the bottom graphs that show bridging of genres for their viewership numbers are to low. An when you factor in Overwatch eSport viewership numbers to the amount of Overwatch units sold. We end up with 0.08% of Overwatch buyers who watch Overwatch eSports regularly.

Bullets from article:
  • LoL, CS:GO, and Dota 2 have the most developed and watched esports scenes
  • 42% of eSports viewers don’t play the game they watch
  • 70% of fans only watch one franchise (LoL, CS:GO, HearthStone, Overwatch or Dota2)

Ways to judge the success of a game title within the eSports scene is: viewership numbers, outside the normal eSports investment coming in, frequency of high prize pool events, talent development ladder system and the games design for competitive play. Overwatch has none of this.

http://esports-marketing-blog.com/esports-spectator-sport-42-esports-viewers-dont-play-game-watch/

Overwatch brings in the larger percentage of Overwatch players who consume their eSport. However it performs the worst in eSport viewers who dont play that game and watch general eSports content. It (Overwatch) cant even be brought into the bottom graphs that show bridging of genres for their viewership numbers are to low. An when you factor in Overwatch eSport viewership numbers to the amount of Overwatch units sold. We end up with 0.08% of Overwatch buyers who watch Overwatch eSports regularly.

Bullets from article:
  • LoL, CS:GO, and Dota 2 have the most developed and watched esports scenes
  • 42% of eSports viewers don’t play the game they watch
  • 70% of fans only watch one franchise (LoL, CS:GO, HearthStone, Overwatch or Dota2)

Ways to judge the success of a game title within the eSports scene is: viewership numbers, outside the normal eSports investment coming in, frequency of high prize pool events, talent development ladder system and the games design for competitive play. Overwatch has none of this.
Yep, and here it is. Blizzard games are too difficult to follow. FFS, I was an elite WoW PvPer, and I could barely tell what was happening when I tried watching Championship matches even with the commentators simplifying shit for me. CS:GO is easy for plebes (not professional gamers) to understand. You shoot, you die. So easy to follow. So easy to understand for casuals.

So, in fact, your data indicates the opposite of what you desire it to mean. It's not competitive gamers who eschew Overwatch. It's casuals who can't follow the game. That's why Blizzard is already working on simplifying the UI so that viewers can appreciate the eSport without having to be high-level Overwatch gamers themselves.

You're failing to properly analyze the data.

So, in fact, your data indicates the opposite of what you desire it to mean. It's not competitive gamers who eschew Overwatch. It's casuals who can't follow the game.

That somehow a new mythical spectator UI that Blizzard will invent can alter this? If they couldnt do this in WoW which is a 3v3 game how do you expect them to succeed in a 6v6 game of Overwatch?

I know the answer, curious if you do.

That somehow a new mythical spectator UI that Blizzard will invent can alter this? If they couldnt do this in WoW which is a 3v3 game how do you expect them to succeed in a 6v6 game of Overwatch?

I know the answer, curious if you do.
I don't care. I've gotten you to tacitly concede that the UI is the difficulty, not the mechanics of the game itself.

My work here is done.

I don't care. I've gotten you to tacitly concede that the UI is the difficulty, not the mechanics of the game itself.

My work here is done.

Bullshit!

Youve went from applauding it for the fastest growing eSport to blaming its lack of success as an eSport because of its spectator UI. All of your points are singular in nature without acknowledging or observing the need for multiple criteria to be met. Its a constant hedge on a topic you know little about while continually trying to relay misguided intelligence on the matter.**Six eSport Team Orgs dropped their Overwatch lineups in the last week from lack of tournaments and the unrealistic buy-in price issued by Blizzard for their official league.

Here i made a post one year ago showing the lack of game design for high tier play. Detailing the additional confusion it will create in the spectator UI towards viewers: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/o...cussion-thread.3196531/page-23#post-117160483

you can't expect logic from blizzard shills.

A trend occurred with Overwatch players during Beta, release and then at the beginning of this year. First instance was pushing the game to become an eSport. Second phase was that it would be the largest eSport. The last phase which is echoed by most players now is the acceptance that its fun casual game, not an eSport. I believe Madmick is in that first stage.

Bullshit!

Youve went from applauding it for the fastest growing eSport to blaming its lack of success as an eSport because of its spectator UI.
You still haven't even pretended to contradict this, and I have done no such thing. It is a highly successful eSport. You predicate your entire antagonism to this based on local viewership at events, but you haven't correlated attenders to professional gamers.

At some point you will relinquish bias.

At some point you will relinquish bias.

giphy.gif

It is a highly successful eSport.

Heres the problem Madmick. Others and myself can say it isnt a successful eSport an it wont register. I can provide data that it isnt a successful eSport an it will still fall on deaf ears with you. So if we cant agree on that basic fundamental fact. The time and energy to relay these facts isnt worth it.

DABRcNdXsAE4TVm.jpg

Overwatch eSport content isnt being produced and Twitch viewers prefer watching Twitch personalities stream their gameplay over Overwatch produced eSport content by an obscene amount.

MTG child company Dreamhack on hosting Overwatch eSports in the future from an interview last month; "But it doesn't make sense for us to invest the hundreds of thousands of dollars into running a professional Overwatch tournament." In the past two weeks six eSport Team Orgs dropped their Overwatch eSports team. Another two eSport Team Orgs are expected to release their Overwatch eSports team by end of month.

So we have event organizers and team organizations who specialize in eSports leaving the Overwatch eSports scene. That is no where near "It is a highly successful eSport" like you proclaim. In fact it shows the exact opposite, its dying.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-episodes-subscription-downloads-phil-spencer

Games as a service that you continue to pay for is their model.

Fuck you MS.

"“The audience for those big story-driven games... I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent,” says Spencer. “You’ll have things likeZelda or Horizon Zero Dawn that’ll come out, and they’ll do really well, but they don’t have the same impact that they used to have, because the big service-based games are capturing such a large amount of the audience. Sony’s first-party studios do a lot of these games, and they’re good at them, but outside of that, it’s difficult – they’re become more rare; it’s a difficult business decision for those teams, you’re fighting into more headwind."

Fuck you Spencer two times.

Dude, I like to sit down on my couch with a beer after 10pm when kid is in the bed and gf is reading a book and kick the shit out of a robot dinosaur, yakuza, weird alien or witch. I don't have the time or inclination to take on a 14yr old shouting racial expletives who spends more time on the game than I do on work.
Exactly

but blizzard has a necromancer pack for $15, there's no way poe can compete with that!

The PoE threads are scattered, so I'm dubbing this v1 of the official thread. At least pertaining to PC matters all PoE-related content can feed into here.
but blizzard has a necromancer pack for $15, there's no way poe can compete with that!
Blizzard will have to go cry into its huge stacks of cash because "Rob Mafia" on Sherdog laughs at their lack of business acumen.

Oh wait:
http://www.statisticbrain.com/blizzard-entertainment-statistics/
That tally was from January, 2016. Those figures don't even include RoE expansion revenue.

The PoE threads are scattered, so I'm dubbing this v1 of the official thread. At least pertaining to PC matters all PoE-related content can feed into here.

Blizzard will have to go cry into its huge stacks of cash because "Rob Mafia" on Sherdog laughs at their lack of business acumen.

Oh wait:
That tally was from January, 2016. Those figures don't even include RoE expansion revenue.

It will undoubtedly sell well. I'd imagine between PC and console there are at least a few hundred thousand active D3 players. Returning players possibly in the millions.

Oh wait:

there you go again, making every thread about company financials/business instead of whatever the topic was.

in before you post forbes. again. like always.

candy crush, best blizzard game - madmick

there you go again, making every thread about company financials/business instead of whatever the topic was.

<{anton}>

Business is the competition. Your gratification is a means to that end. The fact that you can't keep your eye on the ball explains why you lose this argument every time, and resort to lying by attributing quotes to me that I never made (i.e. the Candy Crush fabrication).

Business is the competition. Your gratification is a means to that end. The fact that you can't keep your eye on the ball explains why you lose this argument every time, and resort to lying by attributing quotes to me that I never made (i.e. the Candy Crush fabrication).

My opinion on Blizzard is " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me.. You cant get fooled again. "

I understand they are basically printing money, but they are also attacking the lowest common denominator. I preordered the collectors edition of Diablo 3. If Diablo 4 ever comes out, I will wait 6 months+ before purchasing.

My opinion on Blizzard is " Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me.. You cant get fooled again. "

I understand they are basically printing money, but they are also attacking the lowest common denominator. I preordered the collectors edition of Diablo 3. If Diablo 4 ever comes out, I will wait 6 months+ before purchasing.
I've read that their entire business model and strategy for gamer satisfaction around Diablo 3 focuses on gamer cafe usage in Asia. It's quite a specific niche, but apparently an enormous and wildly profitable one.

In any case, that's enough for my derail. I'm ending it here. This thread is intended to be about PoE, not Diablo 3. Of course, if you guys wish to continue discussing it comparatively, go ahead, but focus the discussion on PoE so that this thread doesn't descend into a glorified battlefield over Blizzard.

Back