THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

Didn't look locked out to me either, if that's an anatomical limitation that you have pre-cleared before with judges at meets, that's OK, but you should mention that up front @Cmart . No biggie now but you were oerly sensitive at Jim's criticism because of previous interactions on Sherdog.

I used to think Jim was an asshole too until I got stronger, then I realised he had been giving people simple, brutal advice for a long time, mixed in with rustling the jimmies.

Jim's actually a 13 year old girl from Texas, btw...

Didn't look locked out to me either, if that's an anatomical limitation that you have pre-cleared before with judges at meets, that's OK, but you should mention that up front @Cmart . No biggie now but you were oerly sensitive at Jim's criticism because of previous interactions on Sherdog.

I used to think Jim was an asshole too until I got stronger, then I realised he had been giving people simple, brutal advice for a long time, mixed in with rustling the jimmies.

I'm not going to concern myself with him, it's not worth it. This is an opportunity for people to improve and support other lifters, even cheer them on. A little positivity once in a while is a good thing. Sure, I'm overly sensitive. If you want a challenge, try to find a single positive thing he's ever said to me.

I'm making PR's, in a few weeks I'll make white lights, and then I'm going to improve some more. I really don't have much to complain about in the grand scheme of things!

Just put him on Ignore.
Yeah, did that a few days ago. I have good things to do, and I'm looking forward to them. This DL work comes at a good time, because next year is when PL comps get interesting for me. This year is penultimate. Anyway, excited to see how much everyone improves.

Same. I'm actually happy to start Deadlifting again. I'll be breaking 500 for sure by the time this comp is over. My body is ready!

My 2 cents is that I don't have an issue with a sloppy pull that is obviously 1RM used as a starting #. If anything, it's overshooting the starting # which is better than a low start #.

My 2 cents is that I don't have an issue with a sloppy pull that is obviously 1RM used as a starting #. If anything, it's overshooting the starting # which is better than a low start #.

It's just a slippery slope.

The rules of the deadlift are the easiest to adhere to. I don't see why there needs to be any wiggle room or evaluation of the degree of sloppiness. Can't everyone just do the lift properly?

People could just use it as an excuse down the road. "Well, so-and-so's starting deadlift didn't strictly follow the rules, why does my final 1RM have to?"

Knees locked (unless there is impingement), no hitching. Pretty basic.

I can't wait until my next meet so I can just let the judges know I won't be squatting to depth because of knee pain from an old injury. Apparently, they should be cool with it.

I won't be locking out my benches either, as it hurts my elbows.

To be fair @JimRussel I see this happen at least one or twice at every meet I've worked. 100% in the masters divisions. Usually its not related to pain but a physical impairment, which is usually demonstrated at the time of registration at the meet. I'm not sure whether you have to physically show the judge or not, but most, if not all that I've seen demonstrate the impingement.

It's just a slippery slope.

The rules of the deadlift are the easiest to adhere to. I don't see why there needs to be any wiggle room or evaluation of the degree of sloppiness. Can't everyone just do the lift properly?

People could just use it as an excuse down the road. "Well, so-and-so's starting deadlift didn't strictly follow the rules, why does my final 1RM have to?"

I get what you are saying, but to me the spirit of the competition is to make sure you aren't sandbagging your starting 1RM. Well such as in my case, I submitted a deadlift video of 500 but am using a max of 510 lbs. I guess I don't have issues with a shaky 1RM or a high estimated 1RM at the start as long as everyone understands the standards/rules for the vid at the end of the comp.

To be fair @JimRussel I see this happen at least one or twice at every meet I've worked. 100% in the masters divisions. Usually its not related to pain but a physical impairment, which is usually demonstrated at the time of registration at the meet. I'm not sure whether you have to physically show the judge or not, but most, if not all that I've seen demonstrate the impingement.

I've heard of and seen similar.

If you want to have the rules changed to suit something like that, I think you should have to provide documentation/an evaluation from a physio or other medical professional stating why your joint is limited in its range of motion and can't achieve full extension.

If it's a matter of being old and stiff, I think it should be a case of tough luck.

For the purposes of this comp, I think we'll let this go though. If he seriously cannot lock the knee let's just accept it and move on. I just hope it doesn't become trendy

For the purposes of this comp, I think we'll let this go though. If he seriously cannot lock the knee let's just accept it and move on. I just hope it doesn't become trendy

I wasn't even talking about Glassegomart anymore lol.

Just in general. People can't even get TUEs for medication they legitimately need because of the WADA list. I don't think physical limitations should be treated any less stringently.

You physically show the judges, and then it's also smart to give them a heads-up reminder going into the first attempt. I see it more often with old guys' elbows not locking out for the bench, but that's not an issue for me thankfully.

To be clear, I can lock the knee, and do. It's just that mine doesn't lock at the same angle as yours.

I'll explain this as much as people need it explained, but I'm also happy if we can just move on and not keep talking about it.

Awe Sheeit! permission granted to go to the gym tonight! Gonna get my max tonight. Is it weird that I'm partially aroused at the moment?

Back