THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

That's great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that it should be a little more difficult than "I have really bad tendinitis, I can't lock out my benches" or "I had knee surgery 10 years ago, take my word for it" to skirt the rules.
I guess you should take that up with the IWF.

LOL, 600 is a major stretch! but leave it. A boy can dream!

@MatterOverMind My phone's died on me and I doubt I'll get a new one in time to film another starting max. That said, I agree my intial SM was too low. Figure I could pull 345, so put that down as my new SM, please.

Goal is to break 400 by end of the comp.

C'mon, man... Really? In the next 10 days, you won't have access to a phone or a camera? You don't have a friend or girlfriend that could record you?

Pulling a hard rep and adding 10 lbs to it in order to avoid sandbagging is one thing. But pulling an easy rep and just guessing at what your true 1rm isn't okay with me.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it, but a starting 1rm video is a requirement, and I (and others) don't feel like you've submitted one.

Pencil me in for 435 lbs please. Thought I had more in the tank but I guess it's good enough:

I wasn't even talking about Glassegomart anymore lol.

Just in general. People can't even get TUEs for medication they legitimately need because of the WADA list. I don't think physical limitations should be treated any less stringently.
Or have a bracket for it

What's up gentlemen, I'm in at 535. Most of you don't know me but I'm a friend of MOM, Nurse, SM, and Jim. My goal for the year is 585.

Does everyone pull 500+ now? It seems to be the new 400. Maybe it's just selection bias, but either way it's motivating. Anyway anything over 500 is my goal.

Guys...guys. Come on. Please.

I'm not understanding what is proving to be so difficult about getting this competition going. Just submit a video of you pulling a BARBELL DEADLIFT 1RM (or something very close to a 1RM).

This is starting to feel like we're trying to start a 100m sprint competition and people are submitting videos of them jogging, walking briskly, or using rollerblades.

In case anyone needs a example to help them out:

You guys remember when Eddie Hall collapsed and almost died after pulling the strongman DL world record and the heaviest deadlift done on a barbell in history? That glorious feeling when there's so much pressure that your eyes/face get puffy. The pressure that bursts capillaries and leaves little red pin pricks all over your skin.

hall1-1.jpg

That's how your face looks after you maximally exert yourself. Let's all try to channel a little bit of this.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-27-at-2.59.16-PM-611x445.png

Last edited:
Guys...guys. Come on. Please.

I'm not understanding what is proving to be so difficult about getting this competition going. Just submit a video of you pulling a BARBELL DEADLIFT 1RM (or something very close to a 1RM).

This is starting to feel like we're trying to start a 100m sprint competition and people are submitting videos of them jogging, walking briskly, or using rollerblades.

In case anyone needs a example to help them out:

I was just about to make a post asking @MatterOverMind if he could explain the simple rules a little more clearly.

Does everyone pull 500+ now? It seems to be the new 400. Maybe it's just selection bias, but either way it's motivating. Anyway anything over 500 is my goal.
Not me, not now or ever, but I WILL.

My girlfriend is making me a big chilli for dinner tonight. Tomorrow I will pull my starting max. My best deadlift is 222.5kg which was done in January. For those who don't follow my log, I had a hernia operation at the start of February and spent just over 5 weeks recovering from that with no weights. I pulled 190kg last Sunday, which is the most I have pulled post-op. Hopefully I can get a bit more than that tomorrow and I'd be thrilled to end up with an increase on my previous max of 222.5kg come the end of the year.

Honestly yes, seems that way. I train with about 10 guys who all deadlift 220kg+, ranging from bodyweights of 65kg to 110kg. They are all pretty serious competitors though so the sample is biased.

I was just trolling you guys, I couldn't help it.
A double on a hex bar <45>

Here is the real video, taken before the hex bar deadlifts. pulled 415 but failed 425
Before: 420 lbs
Goal: 465 lbs

I tested my sumo too, but I'll stick to conventional for the comp.

Back