THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

The fact that I was about 4" from a man's penis today is counteracting my full arousalment.

Honestly not fun...

I guess I don't have issues with a shaky 1RM or a high estimated 1RM at the start as long as everyone understands the standards/rules for the vid at the end of the comp.
It seems to me that having the same requirements for the starting 1rm and the final 1rm would be a great way to help ensure that the standards/rules are clear from the start. Then there'll be fewer people submitting final 1rm videos that don't make the cut.

That would really suck to have your final 1rm video rejected because you weren't clear on the rules. Especially if you didn't have enough time left to give it another go.

/2c

Here ya go bitches! 485 done!

I think I had a little left. I'd be ok with you guys giving me 5 wheels!

Nice!

But I'm disappointed that you look nothing like your avatar.

I wasn't even talking about Glassegomart anymore lol.

Just in general. People can't even get TUEs for medication they legitimately need because of the WADA list. I don't think physical limitations should be treated any less stringently.
You physically show the judges, and then it's also smart to give them a heads-up reminder going into the first attempt.
This is how it works with weightlifting, even at the Olympic game level.

If your elbows don't reach a 180 degree lockout you let the judges know and point to it when going on stage before you take your attempts. No documentation needed.

Here is an example:

Nice!

But I'm disappointed that you look nothing like your avatar.

Thanks!

I took the cardigan off for that lift. Its on right now though.

Unless you mean my other one, and In that case, no I do not look like Ben Stiller. I am not short and I do not look like I just got off a horse.

In terms of where I stand in this competition. I'm sure by June 5, I could get 495 up. I'm confident to start there, if you agree. Last night I went beltless to 455. I jumped from 455 to 485 and made an attempt without the belt. in all honesty it would have come up but my shoulders came forward much more than I typically do and so I felt it would be best to drop it and belt up. This means I wasn't all that fresh on my second attempt at 485. The one observation is that it looks a lot easier on video than it did making the attempt.

Last edited:
Here ya go bitches! 485 done!

I think I had a little left. I'd be ok with you guys giving me 5 wheels!

There might be more there but it wasn't a breeze. It looked about as hard as my 200kg PR so I think it's a solid number to have.

Yeah, it really wasn't an easy lift, but if I HAD to pull 495-500 I could have. I think I will start 495, if everyone agrees.

Don't forget I had just pulled that to my knees a minute earlier without a belt on, so there's that... I'm planning on closing in on 600 anyway, lads!
LOL

Would it be logical/beneficial to have a "stated goal" as part of the info for this comp? I like to put goals "out there" for accountability.

I'll be ecstatic if I can break 500.

Since the teams are randomly chosen, I don't think its a bad idea.

This is how it works with weightlifting, even at the Olympic game level.

If your elbows don't reach a 180 degree lockout you let the judges know and point to it when going on stage before you take your attempts. No documentation needed.

Here is an example:

That's great and all, but it doesn't change the fact that it should be a little more difficult than "I have really bad tendinitis, I can't lock out my benches" or "I had knee surgery 10 years ago, take my word for it" to skirt the rules.

Old guys can't even take their blood pressure meds, but they use the honour system for this stuff lol.

Last edited:
Would it be logical/beneficial to have a "stated goal" as part of the info for this comp? I like to put goals "out there" for accountability.

I'll be ecstatic if I can break 500.
I don't see any reason not to. I wouldn't say it should be required, but I have no issue with adding goals to the OP of this thread and/or the new thread that I'll start once the teams are picked.

OP updated with goals.

My goal is 600. My all-time best is 607. I haven't lifted in about five years. I expect my starting 1rm to be roughly 420 lbs.

There is a lot of potential for some big gains, but I'm not sure how my old body will respond to lifting now. Plus, I'm notorious for being inconsistent.

Last edited:
Back