THE Official 2017 S&C Deadlift Competition Thread

I think the rep is fine. You still completed a clean rep after the error.

That being said, it looked super easy. I think you had quite a bit more in the tank. If something is genuinely heavy (90-95%+), you generally can make an error like that and then smoke a rep right after.

I used to be a regular in these competitions. Unfortunately, 2.5 years ago I starting suffering from internal rotation of my shoulder from sitting at my damn desk. This caused a winged scapula and a hell of a lot of shoulder problems. I've been working to get back to real lifting and am currently finishing up building my garage, which will have a badass gym set up. This competition is exactly what I need to motivate myself to get strong again.

My pathetic 1RM is now 405.

Are people going to be allowed to submit these incredibly easy reps as 1RMs for the competition? Kind of fucks the entire thing from the get go, if so.

My pathetic 1RM is now 405.

Video?

You'll get the video, but first, I have to return some videotapes.

Are people going to be allowed to submit these incredibly easy reps as 1RMs for the competition? Kind of fucks the entire thing from the get go, if so.
Yes, as long as their final 1rm is equally easy.

Not srs.

In the spirit of this competition, I'd like to re-submit my 1RM as 565.

Video?
Yeah come on guys, let's keep some integrity here.

I wish I could watch those videos and just adjust their 1rm to what I feel would be appropriate. But, obviously, that'd be fucked up.

To hopefully help with the situation, I've added a suggestion to the OP. I know it won't solve the issue, but hopefully it will at least make people think twice. And, luckily, we still have a couple weeks that people can use to try and improve on any submitted video that may not have been quite 100% of what they had in the tank.

I wish I could watch those videos and just adjust their 1rm to what I feel would be appropriate. But, obviously, that'd be fucked up.

To hopefully help with the situation, I've added a suggestion to the OP. I know it won't solve the issue, but hopefully it will at least make people think twice. And, luckily, we still have a couple weeks that people can use to try and improve on any submitted video that may not have been quite 100% of what they had in the tank.

Fair point. That video was my first attempt at a 1 rep max in three years, and I must admit I was feeling a little gun-shy. It didn't feel like an easy lift, by any means, but I can probably pull more before the deadline. I'll try next week with another 10 - 20lbs or so on the bar.

Last edited:
In with 445 -- wish it was more, but that's all I've been able to get so far this year. Done today.

I don't think that would get white lights in a meet. Your knees don't look locked.

I don't think that would get white lights in a meet. Your knees don't look locked.

For you, I think this contest is a combination of your two favorite things; lifting and belittling other lifters.

I've never lost a deadlift due to being red lighted before in a meet, but I'll do it again if necessary. That, or you can take this lift as questionable until I hit my attempts in the meet June 10th for the USAPL judges.

For you, I think this contest is a combination of your two favorite things; lifting and belittling other lifters.

I've never lost a deadlift due to being red lighted before in a meet, but I'll do it again if necessary. That, or you can take this lift as questionable until I hit my attempts in the meet June 10th for the USAPL judges.

Wow, what a shocker that you got super sensitive when I simply point something out about your lift.

I'm seriously, genuinely going to need you to point out where I belittled you in my post.

In the video you posted, your knees do not appear to be fully locked out. I'm sorry if my evaluation of your lift hurts your feelings.

Wow, what a shocker that you got super sensitive when I simply point something out about your lift.

I'm seriously, genuinely going to need you to point out where I belittled you in my post.

You're not the judge here. It's not your call. You've established a track record here of criticising people, and I'm not interested. If you'd like your lifts critiqued, go ahead and ask, I'm sure you'll get input. I don't need your input on my lift.

You're not the judge here. It's not your call. You've established a track record here of criticising people, and I'm not interested. If you'd like your lifts critiqued, go ahead and ask, I'm sure you'll get input. I don't need your input on my lift.

Given that this competition has rules and I'm a participant, yes your lift is open to being critiqued by me. Whose call is it, if not the other participants of the competition?

I didn't talk shit, nor was there any intention of that. I made an observation on your lift. Period. Stop being so fucking sensitive.

There are A LOT of other things wrong with your form, but I didn't even bother trying to make a helpful post, because I knew you'd just respond in the manner you have.

You're really, really touchy when it comes to your lifting, especially for someone with pretty bad overall technique.

Given that this competition has rules and I'm a participant, yes your lift is open to being critiqued by me. Whose call is it, if not the other participants of the competition?

I didn't talk shit, nor was there any intention of that. I made an observation on your lift. Period. Stop being so fucking sensitive.

There is A LOT of other things wrong with your form, but I didn't even bother trying to make a helpful post, because I knew you'd just respond in the manner you have.

You're really, really touchy when it comes to your lifting, especially for someone with pretty bad overall technique.

You never stop, do you? What a lonely person you must be. Go hit the juice some more and do the only thing you've got going for you in life. I'll put you on ignore if I have to keep hearing from you, you complete tool.

You never stop, do you? What a lonely person you must be. Go hit the juice some more and do the only thing you've got going for you in life. I'll put you on ignore if I have to keep hearing from you, you complete tool.

Now you're back to personal attacks because I pointed out something about your lift that most people would find helpful and beneficial to address moving forward? Nice.

Complete tool? You're the guy talking shit to someone almost half your age and going full e-meltdown when they pointed out a simple flaw in your lift.

But, since you want to be an asshole, do you really think your deadlift form looks even close to good? Because it really doesn't.

I'll add this, but I'm done going back and forth with roid boy, and have put him on ignore...

In case the lockout on my deadlift looks odd to anyone... My first knee surgery when I was 39 left me with a right knee that doesn't bend or extend to full range of motion. In meets, I've explained (and demonstrated) this to the judges and it's never been a big deal. So just in case the lift looks unfinished, that's all the farther that leg locks. That's in case you're wondering.

Back