THE NEW MUTANTS Movie (First Critic Review; In Theaters Aug. 28)

If you have seen THE NEW MUTANTS, how would you rate it?

• 9 - Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 - Good

• 5 - Average/Meh/Mediocre

• 4 - Poor

• 3 - Bad

• 1 - Abysmal

• Total voters
Update: May 11, 2017

It's Official: Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor-Joy to Star in NEW MUTANTS

Hxbtexh.jpg

Fox’s long-awaited X-Men spinoff New Mutants is finally getting casting up.

Anya Taylor-Joy, the star of The Witch andSplit, and Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams have signed on to star in the project, the ensemble young adult super hero movie being directed by Josh Boone.

The movie is headed towards an early July start and is armed with a script by Boone and his writing partner, Knate Gwaltney. Simon Kinberg and Karen Rosenfelt are producing.

New Mutants, created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, was the first X-Men comic spinoff, launched in the early 1980s as the franchise began two decades of dominating the comic book industry.

The movie will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens that include Native American Danielle Moonstar, Scots girl Wolfsbane, Brazilian ladies man Sunspot, a Kentuckian code-named Cannonball, and Russian teen Magik. Also in the mix will be an alien named Warlock.

Taylor-Joy will play Magik, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. She is also the sister of Colossus, an X-Man who appeared in Deadpool.

Williams will play Wolfsbane, a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.

Boone has been eyeing the actresses since last year but was only able pull the trigger on them once the movie was greenlit earlier this year. The movie has a April 13, 2018 release date.

The studio is making serious efforts to find ethnically appropriate actors, conducting wide searches for a Native American to play Moonstar and a South American for Sunspot.

Taylor-Joy broke out with the 2015 award-winning period horror movie The Witch and starred with James McAvoy in M. Night Shyamalan’s surprise hit, Split. Williams plays Arya Stark in Thrones, which launches its seventh season in July.

Anya Taylor-Joy and Maisie Williams Set to Star in 'X-Men' Spinoff 'New Mutants' (Exclusive)

I love Anya Taylor Joy as Magik, perfect casting.

Update: May 11, 2017

It's Official: Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor-Joy to Star in NEW MUTANTS

Maisie-Williams-Anya-Taylor-Joy-New-Mutants-Dragonlord.jpg

Fox’s long-awaited X-Men spinoff New Mutants is finally getting casting up.

Anya Taylor-Joy, the star of The Witch andSplit, and Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams have signed on to star in the project, the ensemble young adult super hero movie being directed by Josh Boone.

The movie is headed towards an early July start and is armed with a script by Boone and his writing partner, Knate Gwaltney. Simon Kinberg and Karen Rosenfelt are producing.

New Mutants, created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, was the first X-Men comic spinoff, launched in the early 1980s as the franchise began two decades of dominating the comic book industry.

The movie will focus on the angst-driven adventures of a diverse group of teens that include Native American Danielle Moonstar, Scots girl Wolfsbane, Brazilian ladies man Sunspot, a Kentuckian code-named Cannonball, and Russian teen Magik. Also in the mix will be an alien named Warlock.

Taylor-Joy will play Magik, a girl who has learned sorcery and uses teleportation discs to travel. She is also the sister of Colossus, an X-Man who appeared in Deadpool.

Williams will play Wolfsbane, a girl struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.

Boone has been eyeing the actresses since last year but was only able pull the trigger on them once the movie was greenlit earlier this year. The movie has a April 13, 2018 release date.

The studio is making serious efforts to find ethnically appropriate actors, conducting wide searches for a Native American to play Moonstar and a South American for Sunspot.

Taylor-Joy broke out with the 2015 award-winning period horror movie The Witch and starred with James McAvoy in M. Night Shyamalan’s surprise hit, Split. Williams plays Arya Stark in Thrones, which launches its seventh season in July.

Anya Taylor-Joy and Maisie Williams Set to Star in 'X-Men' Spinoff 'New Mutants' (Exclusive)

Love the news but I do have to laugh at them casting Anya as a witch and Maisie as a werewolf. <45>

I'm down with the girl from the Witch, sister of Colossus sounds good.

Not my ideal werewolf girl cast but still good enough, I get to see a marvel werewolf.

A lot of teen girls characters in this huh.

Not my ideal werewolf girl cast but still good enough, I get to see a marvel werewolf.

well it's X-universe stuff. I'd be worried if it was chock-full of GILFs

It is based on the series that was the X-junior league. They were all supposed to be highschool age. Hell, they used to call them the x-babies.

Not gonna get any hopes up.

Wolfsbane is one of my least favorite x characters of all time.

Can't stand her and her stupid power set.

For Wolfsbane, they should have gotten Khloe Kardashian, who is already a real life Armenian.

It is based on the series that was the X-junior league. They were all supposed to be highschool age. Hell, they used to call them the x-babies.

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

I'm sorry, i'm out. Might be the first superhero movie i'm actually skipping.

Update: May 25, 2017

NEW MUTANTS Will Be Full-Fledged Horror Movie with No Costumes or Supervillains

New-Mutants-Demon-Bear-Feat.jpg

The New Mutants, the long anticipated X-Men spinoff movie, is going to be a comic book film that goes in an unusual direction. “We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe,” director Josh Boone says. “There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different.”

The New Mutants, which was created by Chris Claremont in the early ’80s, is about a group of teenage mutants, a kind of superheroes-in-training, who must learn to control their powers. When artist Bill Sienkiewicz — whom Boone calls “one of the most amazing comic book artists ever” — came aboard for No. 18 in 1984, the series took a turn for what Boone describes as, “a darker and more surreal and impressionistic X-Men series than we’d ever seen before. It felt like Stephen King meets John Hughes.”

It’s this run of the comic that inspired what we’ll see in The New Mutants which is currently scheduled for a spring 2018 release (and shooting for a PG-13 rating). Boone is keeping mum on actual plot details, but a source close to the project explained how mutants are at their most dangerous (both to themselves and others) when their powers are new. (Like, say, their teenage years!) Says the source: “Held in a secret facility against their will, five new mutants have to battle the dangers of their powers, as well as the sins of their past. They aren’t out to save the world — they’re just trying to save themselves.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/25/the.../?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Update: May 25, 2017

Henry Zaga Reportedly Cast as Sunspot in NEW MUTANTS; Rosario Dawson Possibly in Talks

fbWXotW.jpg

EW's ources close to the production of New Mutants say that Henry Zaga, seen most recently in Netflix's 13 Reasons Why (where he played Tony’s boyfriend, Brad), will soon be announced in the role of Sunspot. Unconfirmed chatter has it that Rosario Dawson is currently in talks as well.

Game of Thrones‘Maisie Williams has been cast in the role of Wolfsbane and Split actress Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik.

Sunspot (Roberto Da Costa) is a mutant with the ability to harness the sun's power, which grants him superhuman strength, speed, and durability. Born in Brazil, Roberto comes from a wealthy family and has been described as brash and quick tempered. Initially a member of the New Mutants, Roberto has since developed a long history with various X-Men related teams, as well as some villains. Currently, he is a member of the Avengers.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/25/the.../?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Horror treatment sound dope and Sienkiewicz is a boss, but no costumes? I can just hear the jimmies rustling from here...

I was all "Niiiiiiice" until I saw PG-13 and it made me ChrisFarley.gif

Back