Movies THE MARVELS (Dragonlord's Review; Worst MCU Second-Weekend Drop with 78%)

If you have seen THE MARVELS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I think they got overconfident with the success of stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel and Black Panther. Not only where obscure or diverse characters not bombing but actually making billions, the MCU was bulletproof for a while.

Even during the pandemic and a weak line up of new characters the MCU films were pretty much keeping theaters alive even if some of the films where not breaking even but they got a pass cause they were at least making 400 worldwide .

Problem is they didn't build any new stars, sadly Tchalla actor died, Captain Marvel sucks, Miss Marvel has not made click with the younger audience she was designed to , Spidey is always stuck in the push pull with Sony and I feel like Disney++ has diminish the brand and made people tired of MCU content more than make it grow.

In The Marvel's defence, I can't remember an MCU film that stayed on the frontpage of Mayberry for this long in ages.

I see that The Marvels is streaming on Amazon Prime for a price. But, it's not on Disney+ as of yet.

I don't recall a Disney produced film in the past few years that didn't hit Disney+ before the other streaming service for a purchase/rental fee.

I see that The Marvels is streaming on Amazon Prime for a price. But, it's not on Disney+ as of yet.

I don't recall a Disney produced film in the past few years that didn't hit Disney+ before the other streaming service for a purchase/rental fee.
Wtf?

I'd give it a watch, but knew it would flop. Folks that saw it say it was decent to good, but no boycott. Therefore, I thought, shit was on disney, of which I have, but I'm not paying to see it.

Problem with Marvel is that, theres no where to go. I fucking hate this fantastic 4 bullshit, so they gotta stop.

Xmen can be done, just cast it right. They have a SLEW of stories, of all ages, all genders, and prejudice is written right in, so its absolutely perfect. Theres no chance of woke when it's been diverse from it's own writing. I hope they know this but...its disney.

Cheat sheet:
Wolvie is short
Apocalypse is huge and black...and purple/blue.

In The Marvel's defence, I can't remember an MCU film that stayed on the frontpage of Mayberry for this long in ages.
True but when it's staying there because people are laughing at its failure and how terrible it is, that's hardly the best of signs.

I watched this through completely legal means recently just out of morbid curiosity. It was terrible. I will say I don't think it was as bad as Love and Thunder, which I have ranked as the worst MCU movie, but it is easily the 2nd worst one. It felt like those early 2000's superhero movies such as Daredevil, Elektra, and Catwoman. Terrible performances (outside of Ms. Marvel anyway), a laughably bad story, and just poor writing all around. This movie is only 90 minutes long not including credits, and it felt like it was supposed to be 2 hours due to all the plot threads that are introduced and then never mentioned again. The only scene that I kinda liked was when the space station crew were all getting swallowed by those cat things in order to fit into the escape pods.

What's crazy to me is that shortly after this films theatrical release, my social media feeds were filled with articles saying how great and 'fun' this movie is and how everyone should go see it. What the hell did these people watch? I will fully admit to liking shitty movies like the Fast and Furious movies, but I'm not gonna write an article trying to convince people that those movies are actually good, high quality films lmao. And then you have the people trying to say it's just toxic fandom and they hate women which is why the movie did so poorly. Um, no sorry, your movie was a piece of shit which is why it failed.

2/10, never ever watching this again and the MCU is dead and buried.

Also, the X-Men tease at the end just pissed me off. They've had the rights to the X-Men for years now and have done jack shit with it. If the same writing team that's been handling the current MCU is also handling the X-Men movies, they're going to fucking suck even harder than the worst of Fox X-Men movies.

I think they got overconfident with the success of stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel and Black Panther. Not only where obscure or diverse characters not bombing but actually making billions, the MCU was bulletproof for a while.

Even during the pandemic and a weak line up of new characters the MCU films were pretty much keeping theaters alive even if some of the films where not breaking even but they got a pass cause they were at least making 400 worldwide .

Problem is they didn't build any new stars, sadly Tchalla actor died, Captain Marvel sucks, Miss Marvel has not made click with the younger audience she was designed to , Spidey is always stuck in the push pull with Sony and I feel like Disney++ has diminish the brand and made people tired of MCU content more than make it grow.
I think with Captain Marvel specifically they greatly overestimated her how popular the character was, the first film did very well but I would argue mostly because it tied itself into the Infinity Saga, or at least gave the impression you needed to watch it to follow that story. Generally I think Marvel have been trading on existing popularity for their films post End Game but they badly messed up here depending on a character very few people cared about, a boring snarky character who's defining feature is that she's better than others.

Honestly I feel like Disney+ has actually had most of the best MCU content post End Game, Loki, Wandavision and Moon Knight were all very good and most of the rest of the stuff was at least deent although I'v not bothed with Miss Marvel.

Just watched this. It was not good, but wasn't as woke as people are complaining about.

I don't know WTF all these Youtube channels are complaining about regarding it being woke. Perhaps the only thing slightly woke is the casting of the main villain who is a guy in the comics. But the plot isn't woke.

These parasocial Youtube channels that exist solely to criticize Disney are getting just as lame and retarded as some of the movies they complain about.

They shouldn't make any more Ms Marvel movies because Disney painted themselves into a corner where she's way too powerful and indestructible. So every battle is like meh - no sense of danger.

It's just a bad, cheesy movie and that's it. Kind of like a WB version of a Marvel movie. Very forgettable without any significant plot. I would say it's on par with Love and Thunder. I give it a 3.5-4 out of 10.

Last edited:
Just watched this. It was not good, but wasn't as woke as people are complaining about.

I don't know WTF all these Youtube channels are complaining about regarding it being woke. Perhaps the only thing slightly woke is the casting of the main villain who is a guy in the comics. But the plot isn't woke.

These parasocial Youtube channels that exist solely to criticize Disney are getting just as lame and retarded as some of the movies they complain about.

They shouldn't make any more Ms Marvel movies because Disney painted themselves into a corner where she's way too powerful and indestructible. So every battle is like meh - no sense of danger.

It's just a bad, cheesy movie and that's it. Kind of like a WB version of a Marvel movie. Very forgettable without any significant plot. I would say it's on par with Love and Thunder. I give it a 3.5-4 out of 10.
The casting is beyond woke, the plot isn't the issue in terms of wokeness, its just bad. The issue is you had a female director that did DEI on purpose and it was obvious and annoyed people. No strong male characters, girl power with every race represented....INSTEAD of interesting characters and a villain that actually was more than just a woman of color. This movie felt like a disney TV show. No real peril, silly, and weak characters and back rounds.

This wasn't nearly as bad as Sherdog led me to expect. The main problem I had with The Marvels is that it was too short. You could see the bones of a more interesting movie inside, but they didn't have time to explore it because there was only room for wacky hijinks in the abbreviated runtime.

I'm not seeing the wokeness that people are claiming; this is a set of characters that fits naturally together. Monica Rambeau is a long standing character who has always been black and originally debuted with the Captain Marvel moniker. Ms. Marvel was also introduced as a young Muslim woman and she consciously took on that name because she was a Carol Danvers fan-girl. In fact, I kind of wish we saw Maria Hill being groomed to take over for Nick Fury. The fact is Sam Jackson is getting up there in age to still be in action movies, and Maria Hill has been head of SHIELD in the past.

There were some interesting ideas brought up, like whether you save who you can, or try to save the last ones at the risk of losing everyone. The PTSD and loneliness of feeling ashamed after committing war crimes. Soldiers who think they are being liberators but are actually seen by the "freed" population as destroyers. The reconstruction needed after war. How to handle refugees. But there just wasn't time to deal in any depth with these. It feels like a lot of the movie was cut, leading it to be somewhat of a travelogue.

Vellani's delight at just being there comes across very strongly and matches completely with her character. Larson is far better here than in the first movie and clearly did the work to look good in the suit, and she does. I actually really like this iteration of Captain Marvel and would watch more of her.

I think this movie failed in large part because it was marketed wrong. The way it is cut right now, it should be targeted at tween girls and the Carol Corps. The original trailers didn't show enough that it would be fun and colorful, and then the late trailers tried to tie things back into the Infinity Saga that a twelve year old might not even have seen.

Last edited:
The casting is beyond woke, the plot isn't the issue in terms of wokeness, its just bad. The issue is you had a female director that did DEI on purpose and it was obvious and annoyed people. No strong male characters, girl power with every race represented....INSTEAD of interesting characters and a villain that actually was more than just a woman of color. This movie felt like a disney TV show. No real peril, silly, and weak characters and back rounds.

I mean it's slightly woke casting, but there was an actual black girl in the comics named Monica Rambeau who was once the head of the Avengers.

There were no gender swaps of existing characters or making male characters look like buffoons. Nick Fury is the strong male character.

I mean it's slightly woke casting, but there was an actual black girl in the comics named Monica Rambeau who was once the head of the Avengers.

There were no gender swaps of existing characters or making male characters look like buffoons. Nick Fury is the strong male character.

Nick Fury's decline started in Captain Marvel, where we learned he lost his eye after being scratched by Alien Kitty. Even though this contradicts the MCU's own canon. In Captain America and the Winter Soldier, Fury tells Pierce(Robert Redford)

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye"

Secret Invasion sadly proved that the Nick Fury we have now is a pale shadow of the Cool AF, uber-Bad Ass of Winter Soldier.

Nick Fury's decline started in Captain Marvel, where we learned he lost his eye after being scratched by Alien Kitty. Even though this contradicts the MCU's own canon. In Captain America and the Winter Soldier, Fury tells Pierce(Robert Redford)

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye"

Secret Invasion sadly proved that the Nick Fury we have now is a pale shadow of the Cool AF, uber-Bad Ass of Winter Soldier.

Yea the movie sucked. But I don't think it's this super woke shit Youtube keeps saying it is. All these crybaby Youtubes I keep getting recommended is getting tiresome.

Yea the movie sucked. But I don't think it's this super woke shit Youtube keeps saying it is. All these crybaby Youtubes I keep getting recommended is getting tiresome.

Marvel gave a $275 Million budget to an African-American female director who had never made a film on that scale before. A director who stated she wanted to, "Make the film I never got to see as a Black teenage girl".

Do you really think Disney would have given a budget on that scale to an inexperienced White, male director who said he wanted to make a film his teenage self would have enjoyed?

Marvel gave a $275 Million budget to an African-American female director who had never made a film on that scale before. A director who stated she wanted to, "Make the film I never got to see as a Black teenage girl".

Do you really think Disney would have given a budget on that scale to an inexperienced White, male director who said he wanted to make a film his teenage self would have enjoyed?

I'm talking about the actual plot and story. It wasn't that woke.

Because of all these Youtube videos, I went into the movie thinking it would be a feminist woke piece of shit. Instead it was just a bad movie.

I'm talking about the actual plot and story. It wasn't that woke.

Because of all these Youtube videos, I went into the movie thinking it would be a feminist woke piece of shit. Instead it was just a bad movie.

I haven't seen the movie myself, since it starred three characters I didn't care about. The days I would slavishly watch every single piece of content Marvel puts out are long gone.

That said, the only reason this film exists at all was because of Disney's obsession with Wokeness. They never would have greenlit a $275 Million film, with an inexperienced white male director, starring three B-tier male Superheroes. It simply wouldn't happen.

So in that sense, the YouTubers you mention were absolutely right; it's a woke piece of shit. And you're right when you say it's a badly written movie. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I tried watching this three times and couldn’t make it past the 30-minute mark. Even my wife, a liberal woman of color who is from San Francisco and went to undergrad and grad school at Berkeley said “turn this piece of shit off.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back