Movies MADAME WEB (Dragonlord's Review; Bombs with $25.8M in First 6 Days)

If you have seen MADAME WEB, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Let's try to look on the bright side, gentlemen.

After this, Sweeny will be so desperate for a win, she'll spend her next movie wearing a bikini. Even if it's set in Alaska. :)

Not that the mental picture isn't lovely, but of all the people involved in the movie she's the one that came in best insulated against it bombing with the smash sleeper hit that was Anyone But You.

Last I heard it had made what? Almost 190 million dollars worldwide on a 25 million budget?

So she already had her massive win. Lucky for us, said win came about in large part due to her and Glen Powell spending large portions of that movie in various states of undress, so Sydney will still be very clear on where her bread and butter comes from.

As for the rest of the cast, Dakota Johnson has her nepo-armor to make sure she lands on her feet; Isabela Merced already jumped ship to DC playing Hawkgirl in Superman: Legacy even before this movie came out; and Celeste O'Connor has Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire coming out next month.

The good thing for the careers of most of the actors involved other than Dakota Johnson is that it is usually only the one playing the title character who gets the stink of a bomb of this magnitude stuck to their name.

And as I said, the nepo-armor on Dakota is strong.

If you think that's poor...

I was sneaking in Movie theater side doors with my coat stuffed full of food, drinks and airline bottles last CENTURY when movies were $10 or less.
best-friends-step-brother.gif

I keep seeing people saying this. Her parents were B-listers in the 80s. Neither one has been relevant in amost 40 years.

She's 34. Tour's almost over for Dakota Johnson.

You forget her stepdad who was an A-lister for a bit in the 90s. I hear she's closer to him than to her actual father.

But that's besides the point because that is not how Hollywood nepotism works. These people are not actively calling people to get their adult children work, and people in the industry are not giving said children work based on the current star power of their parents.

The way they benefited from nepotism (and how I believe Dakota will continue to benefit) is from the fact that literally growing up inside the industry has allowed them to build a network of contacts that Susy Puppyeyes from Bumfuck, Iowa busting tables waiting for her big break in LA could only dream of.

Producers, directors, studio executives, casting directors... Dakota has probably misplaced the contact information of more of them than most newcomers busting their ass for a decade ever manage to put together.

Let's try to look on the bright side, gentlemen.

After this, Sweeny will be so desperate for a win, she'll spend her next movie wearing a bikini. Even if it's set in Alaska. :)
Sweeney will be probably doing a butt to butt dildo scene on euphoria similiar to requiem for a dream lol a bikini would be far more tame than the nudity she has already done.

You forget her stepdad who was an A-lister for a bit in the 90s. I hear she's closer to him than to her actual father.

But that's besides the point because that is not how Hollywood nepotism works. These people are not actively calling people to get their adult children work, and people in the industry are not giving said children work based on the current star power of their parents.

The way they benefited from nepotism (and how I believe Dakota will continue to benefit) is from the fact that literally growing up inside the industry has allowed them to build a network of contacts that Susy Puppyeyes from Bumfuck, Iowa busting tables waiting for her big break in LA could only dream of.

Producers, directors, studio executives, casting directors... Dakota has probably misplaced the contact information of more of them than most newcomers busting their ass for a decade ever manage to put together.
The deshanel sisters benefited greatly from nepotism and their dad was just some cinematographer. Dakota has even more pull than the deshanel sisters having Don Johnson as her dad.

Last edited:
These Superhero movies have more than worn out their welcome.

I'll amend that to " bad superhero movies have worn out their welcome". There's still hunger for good superhero movies, which is obvious when one comes around. It's just that the trend now is something like three bad movies for every good one.

That isn't nepotism then. That's just growing up in LA.

That isn't nepotism then. That's just growing up in LA.

Nepotism is receiving preferential treatment and/or opportunities based on kinship or familial relations.

Growing up in LA and growing up in LA when your parents and stepparent are very well known movie starts are very different experiences.

She is getting access to contacts and business connections most people in her industry could only dream off, based solely on who her parents are.

Sweeney will be probably doing a butt to butt dildo scene on euphoria similiar to requiem for a dream lol a bikini would be far more tame than the nudity she has already done.

She already paid her dues with Euphoria, so anything she does from here on will probably be tamer.

But as I said, this woman knows perfectly well where her bread and butter comes from and is very pragmatic about it.

Case in point:

I saw blue Beetle last night.....holy crap.........these movies are beginning to look like made for TV crap more and more
didn’t look great, but the suit was cool & the movie was pretty fun overall imo. i thought george lopez was on fire & the rest of the supporting cast was given at least enough development where it felt like an actual movie

She already paid her dues with Euphoria, so anything she does from here on will probably be tamer.

But as I said, this woman knows perfectly well where her bread and butter comes from and is very pragmatic about it.

Case in point:

We've already established she's a terrible actress with 2 redeeming qualities.

Dakota Johnson is just terrible

didn’t look great, but the suit was cool & the movie was pretty fun overall imo. i thought george lopez was on fire & the rest of the supporting cast was given at least enough development where it felt like an actual movie

I didn’t see it but I’d give it a watch based on the fact that it sounds fun from most of the responses I’ve heard. Can’t be said for all these recent superhero films.

Obviously there’s a lot of subjectivity here though. I’ve heard some people on the forums speak of it like it was a breath of fresh air in an increasingly stale genre and I’ve heard others frame it as thought it’s on the verge of unwatchable.

I like Lopez though. I feel comedians like Lopez and Fluffy might not be among my favorites but I like that they give entertaining cultural and familial insights.

Back