Movies MADAME WEB (Dragonlord's Review; Bombs with $25.8M in First 6 Days)

If you have seen MADAME WEB, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
@Dragonlordxxxxx

Since you've seen the movie, this should be even funnier.

Sorry, not a fan of those outrage/con videos whose daily content is hate hate hate and just to make the viewers pissed off all the time. We need less of that in our world. So not watching it.
(Used to watched them a little until I wised up)

Looks like the 2024 Razzies are off to a good start.

Although it's a shame this wasn't released in 2023. Then there could have been superhero gangbang with Aquaman and The Marvels for that year's celebration.

Well, I went to see it just because I haven't been to a movie since Aqua Man Lost Kingdom, so I was just looking for an excuse to go to the theater. Aquaman also was getting really poor vibes as well but ended up being not so bad, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Anyway, this one pretty much lived up to the negative press. It was really slow paced and full of glaring plot holes. Some very under-used eye candy and wooden acting. About an hour and a half of setup followed by a lackluster final act. Pepsi was really the star of the show.

Well, I went to see it just because I haven't been to a movie since Aqua Man Lost Kingdom, so I was just looking for an excuse to go to the theater.

Sheesh... I haven't been to the theaters since the recent Saw, and thats because a friend offered to pay.

I'm sick of paying $17 for a ticket + 30 minutes of previews.

If only Sony had just asked me about making this movie, I could have saved them 100+ million dollars!

Sony: Random Sherdogger who can bench teh 275, will people go see a Madame Web movie?

Me: No. I have to fill the room with uppercuts now.

Sony: We understand we deserve this. Thank you.

Let's try to look on the bright side, gentlemen.

After this, Sweeny will be so desperate for a win, she'll spend her next movie wearing a bikini. Even if it's set in Alaska. :)

If anyone knows **** to **** in Hollywood for major movie roles, its Dakota Johnson.
She has that deer in headlights, "good girl" you can turn into a whore look down PERFECT.

But I have seen no evidence that she can "act" outside of that one lane of character.

Casting her in 50 shades was perfect imo. Did not require any exceptional acting and she has the believable face to sell the innocence and naivity of the character.

She has that deer in headlights, "good girl" you can turn into a whore look down PERFECT.

But I have seen no evidence that she can "act" outside of that one lane of character.

Casting her in 50 shades was perfect imo. Did not require any exceptional acting and she has the believable face to sell the innocence and naivity of the character.

By now, she's been turned into a whore by so many casting directors all illusion she's a 'good girl' is laughable.

Didn't bother to watch 50 Shades of Grey because I saw some screenshots of her nudity. The concept of her, with the body she has, making a billionaire BDSM enthusiast fall in love with her isn't anywhere close to realistic.

Look at the types of women billionaires have relationships with. They're by no means basic.

In the 1st book, which I did read a long time ago, you get the impression about her she's actually far more attractive than she realizes. In fact she never describes herself so the female reader can view themselves as her. And you also get the impression she's so insecure with a severe lack of confidence that Christian Grey would see it as two leading factors that would see her as a prime candidate to groom her towards his sexual desires.

Update: February 14, 2024

Dragonlord’s Review of MADAME WEB (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Boasting one of the worst acting, dialogue and storytelling in modern comic book history, Sony’s Madame Web is so atrocious that it makes Morbius semi-passable in comparison.

NBkArs9.jpeg

Madame Web is the latest pathetic attempt from Sony Pictures to create their own Spider-Man cinematic universe by using Spidey’s supporting characters and villains and giving them their own solo live-action feature films.

Sony got lucky with the first Venom movie which was a surprise hit because that was released in 2018 where the quality of superhero films were at an all-time high and the public was clamoring for comic book movie content. But Venom’s success just sent the wrong message to Sony as the studio was encouraged to implement their expansion plans. Sony’s next two projects – Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius – were absolute garbage and Madame Web might be their worst effort yet.

From the initial announcement of a Madame Web movie, people were laughing at Sony for scraping the bottom of the barrel. To make matters worse, Sony didn’t even bother to give the project a fighting chance as they hired the same writers who were responsible for stinkers like Morbius, Power Rangers, The Last Witch Hunter and Gods of Egypt. The opening of Madame Web even feels almost identical to the opening of Morbius with a prologue showing key characters trying to capture some animal.

In Madame Web, Cassandra Webb (Dakota Johnson) is a paramedic who discovers she has precognition powers. She saves three young women from being killed by a deadly killer who is hellbent on murdering them. Constantly being hunted by the killer, Cassandra has to keep the girls safe and figure out her connection to the killer before it’s too late for all of them.

It’s an interesting premise which is a cross between The Terminator and Final Destination but just terribly executed. The film has a clunky vibe to it like you are watching a superhero movie made from the 1990s. But the biggest blunder is casting Dakota Johnson as the lead. Her acting is so wooden and her line delivery is so flat. You couple that with some of the worst dialogue in cinema and you get some major cringey moments, especially her embarrassing monologue at the very end. The silly pose and her superhero costume just looks so laughably bad. From telepathically communicating in her dream, seeing the past and interacting with people or being physically everywhere all at once, Cassandra's powers are so inconsistent and all over the place, like they just made up stuff to move the plot along.

Tahar Rahim plays the villain Ezekiel Sims, who wants to murder the three girls because he has been plagued by visions for years that the three girls will eventually gain powers and kill him. The villain is so uninteresting and boring that I wished they would have cast Matt Smith again and let him go nuts with it to at least keep it entertaining. It’s also a dumb move by Sony to let Ezekiel dress up similarly to Spider-Man as it somewhat tarnishes the hero’s image. It’s equally stupid to introduce an Amazonian tribe with Spider-Man-like powers.

The three girls (played by Sydney Sweeney, Isabela Merced and Celeste O’Connor) are good eye candy but they’re so bland and forgettable that you just don’t care about these characters. They show glimpses of the future where they’re supposed to become female versions of Spider-Man but you just feel empty and don’t care at all. And that is a critical failure on the movie since we just feel nothing for these characters whether they live or die. Actually, you kinda want them to die after they make stupid decisions one after the next.

Sony so badly wants to tie this movie to Peter Parker that they’ve included a young Ben Parker (Peter’s Uncle and played by Adam Scott) and Mary Parker (Peter’s mom played by Emma Roberts) but the film is just so awful that it cheapens Peter’s history a little. They even painfully and shamelessly scrambled the iconic line of "With great power, comes great responsibility" and came up with the comical, "When you take on the responsibility, great power will come."

There were initial reports that the story was supposed to be a pregnant Mary Parker being hunted by Ezekiel and objectively speaking that would have been a better angle because we know how important Peter Parker would become in the future. It gives the movie better stakes. It’s like The Terminator where Sarah Connor would give birth to a son that would lead the humans against the machines. But what we ended up with Madame Web is a lame story about three unknown girls becoming superheroines that looked straight out of a CW show.

There is no end-credits scene which is a huge relief since Sony has a knack of creating the dumbest, most confusing stingers in the past (see Morbius) in order to force a connection to the real Spider-Man.

PRELIMINARY RATING: 2/10

(Please leave a Like if you appreciate my reviews.)

Dakota Johnson is the poster child for terrible nepotism , probably the worst "main stream" actress currently working.

Sorry, not a fan of those outrage/con videos whose daily content is hate hate hate and just to make the viewers pissed off all the time. We need less of that in our world. So not watching it.
(Used to watched them a little until I wised up)

Critical Drinker is one of those?

Always thought of him as a writer who praises good movies & makes fun of bad movies.

Speaking of writers....

If you think that's poor...

I was sneaking in Movie theater side doors with my coat stuffed full of food, drinks and airline bottles last CENTURY when movies were $10 or less.
Outside popcorn, I lways did that until theaters started serving actual food in them.

A local Imax theater has an incredible pulled.pork sandwich and chip wagon style fries. There's rarely anything in the theater I can't wait for, as I have a great home theater setup. However, when something im excited for comes out, like a Pavlonian response, I almost start drooling for that food.

Dune Part 2 will be my next gorging.

Update: February 18, 2024

MADAME WEB Has the Worst Opening of Sony's Spider-Man Universe with $25.8 Million in Its First 6 Days

8xGkJzv.jpeg

Paramount’s Bob Marley: One Love delivered a huge $50 million-plus domestic opening over the six-day Valentine’s Day-Presidents Day corridor, enough to crush Madame Web‘s $25.8 million start, a record worst for Sony’s superhero adventures.

Sony’s Madame Web $25.8 opening includes a four-day gross of $17.6 million. Either way, it is the worst start for a Sony film featuring Spider-Man related characters (the Dakota Johnson-starring film is not considered part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe). Madame Web got bashed by critics and audiences alike. Its ranking on Rotten Tomatoes hovers around 13 percent, while moviegoers slapped it with a C+ CinemaScore.

It fared poorly overseas as well, opening to $25.7 million from 61 markets for a global start of $51.5 million. Major markets yet to open include Japan, South Korea and China.

In past years, a superhero pic would generally be the safe bet to win a marquee holiday weekend domestically, but times have changed as both DC and Marvel Studios regroup after a number of box office setbacks. Now, Sony is facing its own dilemma in regard to the Spider-Man universe of Marvel characters it controls, such as Venom and Morbius. The movie studio, under Tom Rothman’s tutelage, has spent far less on superhero fare than its rivals. Madame Web reportedly cost $80 million to make after production and tax incentives, although sources outside the studio say it cost $115 million or more.

While the Venom movies have been considered a win, Morbius was also something of a bust. That film, released in 2022, opened to $39 million on its way to grossing $167 million. With Madame Web, Sony was proud to offer a female-fronted superhero film; femmes made up 46 percent or so of the audience, according to preliminary polling data.

Update: February 18, 2024

MADAME WEB Has the Worst Opening of Sony's Spider-Man Universe with $25.8 Million in Its First 6 Days

8xGkJzv.jpeg

Paramount’s Bob Marley: One Love delivered a huge $50 million-plus domestic opening over the six-day Valentine’s Day-Presidents Day corridor, enough to crush Madame Web‘s $25.8 million start, a record worst for Sony’s superhero adventures.

Sony’s Madame Web $25.8 opening includes a four-day gross of $17.6 million. Either way, it is the worst start for a Sony film featuring Spider-Man related characters (the Dakota Johnson-starring film is not considered part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe). Madame Web got bashed by critics and audiences alike. Its ranking on Rotten Tomatoes hovers around 13 percent, while moviegoers slapped it with a C+ CinemaScore.

It fared poorly overseas as well, opening to $25.7 million from 61 markets for a global start of $51.5 million. Major markets yet to open include Japan, South Korea and China.

In past years, a superhero pic would generally be the safe bet to win a marquee holiday weekend domestically, but times have changed as both DC and Marvel Studios regroup after a number of box office setbacks. Now, Sony is facing its own dilemma in regard to the Spider-Man universe of Marvel characters it controls, such as Venom and Morbius. The movie studio, under Tom Rothman’s tutelage, has spent far less on superhero fare than its rivals. Madame Web reportedly cost $80 million to make after production and tax incentives, although sources outside the studio say it cost $115 million or more.

While the Venom movies have been considered a win, Morbius was also something of a bust. That film, released in 2022, opened to $39 million on its way to grossing $167 million. With Madame Web, Sony was proud to offer a female-fronted superhero film; femmes made up 46 percent or so of the audience, according to preliminary polling data.

Something tells me that when this movie was originally pitched it something like:

"We have a bunch of Spider-Man adjacent characters that we can use. But, we don't have a Nick Fury to tie them all together. Is there a woman within the spiderverse that can fill that role?"

And they came up with Madam Web cruising through Wikipedia. But, modernized her by hiring an actor in her early thirties.

Something tells me that when this movie was originally pitched it something like:

"We have a bunch of Spider-Man adjacent characters that we can use. But, we don't have a Nick Fury to tie them all together. Is there a woman within the spiderverse that can fill that role?"

And they came up with Madam Web cruising through Wikipedia. But, modernized her by hiring an actor in her early thirties.
Don't forget the 20 something hottiea

Back