Movies THE MARVELS (Dragonlord's Review; Worst MCU Second-Weekend Drop with 78%)

If you have seen THE MARVELS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It's hilarious that the target market for this shit is men aged 35+ now. Low-brow, low-iq stuff based on tired tropes and redone characters.

Come on.

This wasn't nearly as bad as Sherdog led me to expect. The main problem I had with The Marvels is that it was too short. You could see the bones of a more interesting movie inside, but they didn't have time to explore it because there was only room for wacky hijinks in the abbreviated runtime.

I'm not seeing the wokeness that people are claiming; this is a set of characters that fits naturally together. Monica Rambeau is a long standing character who has always been black and originally debuted with the Captain Marvel moniker. Ms. Marvel was also introduced as a young Muslim woman and she consciously took on that name because she was a Carol Danvers fan-girl. In fact, I kind of wish we saw Maria Hill being groomed to take over for Nick Fury. The fact is Sam Jackson is getting up there in age to still be in action movies, and Maria Hill has been head of SHIELD in the past.

There were some interesting ideas brought up, like whether you save who you can, or try to save the last ones at the risk of losing everyone. The PTSD and loneliness of feeling ashamed after committing war crimes. Soldiers who think they are being liberators but are actually seen by the "freed" population as destroyers. The reconstruction needed after war. How to handle refugees. But there just wasn't time to deal in any depth with these. It feels like a lot of the movie was cut, leading it to be somewhat of a travelogue.

Vellani's delight at just being there comes across very strongly and matches completely with her character. Larson is far better here than in the first movie and clearly did the work to look good in the suit, and she does. I actually really like this iteration of Captain Marvel and would watch more of her.

I think this movie failed in large part because it was marketed wrong. The way it is cut right now, it should be targeted at tween girls and the Carol Corps. The original trailers didn't show enough that it would be fun and colorful, and then the late trailers tried to tie things back into the Infinity Saga that a twelve year old might not even have seen.

I found it entertaining, too, but it seemed like it had no stakes and was pretty inconsequential in the overall story arc. But, for me, Vellani, Larson, and Parris had a good dynamic that made it worthwhile. The runtime was ridiculously brief in that they basically had to go from plot point to setpiece ultra quickly without any real transition. The scene with the Cats song was mildly amusing but seemed a bit like it was trying to be Guardians-lite (a la say the Come A Little Bit Closer scene where Rocket, Baby Groot, and Michael Rooker take back the Ravager ship in Guardians 2).

I think one element that a lot of people here have referenced that seems quite obvious about the box office shortcomings of some of these recent MCU films is that Marvel, justifiably so, got to a point where they thought the MCU itself could sell anything. Who cares if the character is an obscure comic book that the vast majority of filmgoers are not familiar with- the movie will still be a hit. The presence of the character in a firmly-established cinematic universe that is building toward some major crossover will help to elevate the film's box office numbers. That was all well and good through Endgame. But after Endgame, it has been really tough for them to get people to care about the universe in the same way. There's a lot of factors in play there 1- Infinity War and Endgame were the culmination of something that was organically built over years. It is tough to replicate that sort of build up and enthusiasm after what felt like a conclusion. Factor in the loss of some major characters. Factor in Covid and the closure of theaters definitely causing a loss of the cinematic universe's momentum.

Not every new MCU film has been underwhelming financially. I think Shang-Chi did quite well overall. But it seems to me that the biggest films in this wave were ones that were established, winning franchises like Guardians or the recent Spidey movie. Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest character- the Batman/Superman of Marvel as far as recognizability goes. With Maguire and Garfield back in the mix, that was about as much of a sure thing of a hit as you are going to get from the MCU at this point. Seems more like an outlier in this phase than a reason to be optimistic.

I haven't seen the movie myself, since it starred three characters I didn't care about. The days I would slavishly watch every single piece of content Marvel puts out are long gone.

That said, the only reason this film exists at all was because of Disney's obsession with Wokeness. They never would have greenlit a $275 Million film, with an inexperienced white male director, starring three B-tier male Superheroes. It simply wouldn't happen.

So in that sense, the YouTubers you mention were absolutely right; it's a woke piece of shit. And you're right when you say it's a badly written movie. The two are not mutually exclusive.

That's all meaningless blah blah blah because you haven't actually seen the movie. You just watched a bazillion gay Youtube videos shitting all over it.

I too have watched many of the Youtube videos and still decided to watch it because I was bored. And I'm telling you the woke criticisms are way overblown.

It's just that these Youtube channels need something to talk about every single day. Disney generally sucks these days, but so do all these retarded ass Youtube channels.

That's all meaningless blah blah blah because you haven't actually seen the movie. You just watched a bazillion gay Youtube videos shitting all over it.

I too have watched many of the Youtube videos and still decided to watch it because I was bored. And I'm telling you the woke criticisms are way overblown.

It's just that these Youtube channels need something to talk about every single day. Disney generally sucks these days, but so do all these retarded ass Youtube channels.

I couldn't possibly be bored enough to waste my time watching a movie I had no interest in. And I didn't have to watch a single YouTube video to know that a movie about three characters I had zero interest in, and a Big Bad even a Nerd like me had never heard of, was going to suck(and not in a good way).

As I've previously stated: if Disney wasn't obsessed with this Woke nonsense, the film would never have been made in the first place. That is an undeniable fact. That you don't regard the finished product itself as Woke is pointless semantics.

Last edited:
Just watched it now, I enjoyed it. The girl playing kamala khan and her family were the heart and soul of this movie.

Turned it off after 15 mins. Maybe I will try again after smoking copius amounts of marijuana.

The movie should had been shown on Dsiney+ and not at theaters. Movie looked like it was made for TV 😆

Just watched it on Disney+
I give it a 7. Wasn’t terrible but wasn’t really memorable. Decent popcorn flick.

Can anyone tell me how Kamala can handle the two bangles but the bad girl couldnt? And also what happened to the second bangle?

Also how was Kamala using her powers without the bangle… why exactly does she need it?

Last edited:
Do you really think Disney would have given a budget on that scale to an inexperienced White, male director who said he wanted to make a film his teenage self would have enjoyed?

Would have been a lot more titties if they had at least.

I got less than 5min into watching it and couldn't handle how uninteresting and manufactured it already was. Tapped out.

Back