The most unpleasant character in all fiction

Wait...doesn't that deal with themes of adultery? Why not Atlas Shrugged instead?
Here's one: Bobby Slocum in Something Happened.
Mrs. Havisham...anybody!

I found Havisham to be quite pitiable. Yes, she leads a two woman crusade on a quest for revenge against the entire male species but what scorned women doesn't do such a thing?

So you can speak for god as you know he gets bored. A perfect, all knowing, omnipotent life force without human emotion gets "bored". Lol

Where is the good stuff in the Bible you claim? You will need to do a lot of cherry picking and ignore the bad stuff.

No, but he did create boredom. I'm assuming he was bored. You can ask him yourself one day, but if I was him I think I would want fully conscious beings to enjoy existence with me and to enjoy seeing and interacting with my creations.

Oh come on, who's really cherry picking? Me or you?

Matthew 24King James Version (KJV)

24 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Maybe you could put together various philosophies and ethics into a coherent ideological structure. Then maybe imbue stories and examples with these philosophies so people would be able to understand them better. You could put this in a book or something.

Yes, that is an excellent idea. Actually i started an ebook on exactly this topic. Christopher hitchens also mentions this very specifically and eloquently.

3 steps to atheism (and consequently freedom)

1. Critical thinking
2. Socratic questioning
3. Secular humanism

Look at this...

Changed my life. Amazing book. I can recommend others if you are interested.

• God is not Great, Christopher hitchens
  • Sapiens
  • Foundational falsehoods of creationism

Start with that!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... Your join date is too late to be a stereotype gimmick, so this must really be you.

esm-god-god-internet-arguments-won-prolac-typical-atheist-~deusvult-1579907.png

Confirmed.

It seems the religion provide reasons why you should follow a moral compass to begin with. No?

Also would you mind explaining to me philosophically why i should not go on a stabbing spree at a kindergarten?

EDIT: Also when it comes to unpleasant fictional characters:

rs_500x281-140312120208-games-recap-ep10-8.gif

Demiurge in the Old Testament Who??

Not really my friend. Abrahamic religion started with bronze age savages that had no idea how the world worked. Nomadic jews who invented yaweh, believed the earth was flat and created nationalistic stories about their land. Moses never wrote 5 books. There were historically no jewish slaves in egypt (jews came 1000 years later). Abraham was invented as a claim to land as he "bought a cemetery 4000 years ago, died at the age of 600 and had particular dietary habits".

If you need to believe that an invisible man is watching you to not want to kill school children then you are messed up to begin with. Do to others as they would do to you. Even Socrates and Confucius said that. Common sense. Compassion and evidence over mythology and superstition.

Read the bible, what moral compass does it provide? Watch this...

I've noticed that novel has seen quite a resurgence in lit departments around universities since I left.

He is pretty despicable.

Oh...look here. I challenge you to get this book, you will change your mind very quickly. Very detailed and parts your priest will never repeat in chruch. I wonder why. Cherry picking....how quaint.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25986260-god

513Xw6c1nAL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Joker, Darth vader, THE DEVIL, all other characters mentioned here has nothing on this god character. They can't drown humanity and them put them in hell.

I am still waiting for some convincing argument supporting your case.

No, but he did create boredom. I'm assuming he was bored. You can ask him yourself one day, but if I was him I think I would want fully conscious beings to enjoy existence with me and to enjoy seeing and interacting with my creations.

Oh come on, who's really cherry picking? Me or you?

Matthew 24King James Version (KJV)

24 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.

2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.

19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!

20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

What is your point with this?? Where does it say god was bored as you claim? Again, you create assumptions with no backing.

Some interesting facts....look at line 51. Hell is not mentioned in the bible. The concept of hell was invented centuries after. Jews had no hell in their mythology. Gehena was a garbage fire pit in Rome that was constantly burning. They scared children and said if you are bad we will take you go Gahena (Hell)! Primitive adults embellish and we now see how more nonsense gets added on to religion.

There is vague meanderings about Noah line 38, a 300 year old man who built a boat . It rained for 60 days. RAIN FOR 60 DAYS DOESN'T FLOOD THE EARTH. Also why do we have fresh water fish? How did koala bears get to Australia? Noah must have dropped them off. They only eat eucalyptus. He must have had a section on the boat with only eucalyptus leaves before they grew in australia.

Original gospels were lost. Many EDITED and totally thrown out. Many authors were also unknown. Many were written long after Jesus death. Never post this or similar nonsense again without thinking it though.

I always thought it was Holden Caufield.

Personally, I always thought God was a great character in the Bible.

Atticus Finch went from beloved father figure for generations to loathed racist in the manner of a "new" book.

How many people that named their kids Atticus have buyers' remorse.

Yes, that is an excellent idea. Actually i started an ebook on exactly this topic. Christopher hitchens also mentions this very specifically and eloquently.

3 steps to atheism (and consequently freedom)

1. Critical thinking
2. Socratic questioning
3. Secular humanism

Look at this...

It's hilarious that you think this thread is still about atheism.

Oh, I almost forgot how much I fucking hated Edward in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. He is redeemed and later becomes a hero, but throughout my childhood I hated him more than any other character I had encountered. Brothers are sacred. Nobody made my blood boil like him.

A lot of the morally worst characters have a kind of appeal that makes it hard to call them "unpleasant." My choice would probably be Charles Kinbote. Combines the craziness that we see on display here with extreme self-centeredness and comes off more pathetic than charming or awe-inspiring.

I loved Pale Fire. Any book that can get me to read a 1000 line poem has got to have some inherent genius.

Patrick Bateman is not a pleasant fellow at all (boring ass book though)

Flagg

From the stand and my fav Steven King book eyes of the dragon

Also The Dark Tower and Hearts in Atlantis.

Not really my friend. Abrahamic religion started with bronze age savages that had no idea how the world worked. Nomadic jews who invented yaweh, believed the earth was flat and created nationalistic stories about their land. Moses never wrote 5 books. There were historically no jewish slaves in egypt (jews came 1000 years later). Abraham was invented as a claim to land as he "bought a cemetery 4000 years ago, died at the age of 600 and had particular dietary habits".

If you need to believe that an invisible man is watching you to not want to kill school children then you are messed up to begin with. Do to others as they would do to you. Even Socrates and Confucius said that. Common sense. Compassion and evidence over mythology and superstition.

Read the bible, what moral compass does it provide? Watch this...

Non of this answered my question, i also said nothing about a specific religion or a religious moral compass.

Last edited:
What is your point with this?? Where does it say god was bored as you claim? Again, you create assumptions with no backing.

Some interesting facts....look at line 51. Hell is not mentioned in the bible. The concept of hell was invented centuries after. Jews had no hell in their mythology. Gehena was a garbage fire pit in Rome that was constantly burning. They scared children and said if you are bad we will take you go Gahena (Hell)! Primitive adults embellish and we now see how more nonsense gets added on to religion.

There is vague meanderings about Noah line 38, a 300 year old man who built a boat . It rained for 60 days. RAIN FOR 60 DAYS DOESN'T FLOOD THE EARTH. Also why do we have fresh water fish? How did koala bears get to Australia? Noah must have dropped them off. They only eat eucalyptus. He must have had a section on the boat with only eucalyptus leaves before they grew in australia.

Boredom is a pretty strong force that will compel you to do something. It felt right at the time to say it. I think it's safe to assume God wants fully conscious beings around him. You knew the answer to your question about creating conscious beings wasn't going to be in the bible. I gave my best guess.

51 of Mathew 24? Life is hell for many people. If you think about it there's disturbing torture dungeons all over the world going Ramsay and beyond on people. After judgement comes eternal imprisonment. The lake of fire is what is going to contain the energy of these fallen angels and souls.

Even though it's old English it's still obvious Jesus was saying that the end times world will be much like the one that was destroyed by God. Too much corruption. God operates on a different time scale. I don't really care because I can see the evidence that God wrecked this earth pretty badly and flooded many parts of the world not too long ago.

Why do we have freshwater fish? If there was a flood then they were probably deposited there at some point and got trapped. Melting ice, rain and river flow created the freshwater lakes. They probably adapted to their new environment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baikal_seal
It remains a scientific mystery how the seals originally came to Lake Baikal, hundreds of kilometers from any ocean.

I also think some may have swam up rivers and adapted like the freshwater dolphins. Not too sure how some animals and plants were saved but one thing is for sure there was a major cataclysmic event.

Original gospels were lost. Many EDITED and totally thrown out. Many authors were also unknown. Many were written long after Jesus death.

I don't disagree for sure these books have been tampered with. There's so many different versions too. This means nothing though because God will help you see whatever truth is in these books.

Never post this or similar nonsense again without thinking it though.

2 Timothy 3King James Version (KJV)
3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.

10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Boredom is a pretty strong force that will compel you to do something. It felt right at the time to say it. I think it's safe to assume God wants fully conscious beings around him. You knew the answer to your question about creating conscious beings wasn't going to be in the bible. I gave my best guess.

51 of Mathew 24? Life is hell for many people. If you think about it there's disturbing torture dungeons all over the world going Ramsay and beyond on people. After judgement comes eternal imprisonment. The lake of fire is what is going to contain the energy of these fallen angels and souls.

Even though it's old English it's still obvious Jesus was saying that the end times world will be much like the one that was destroyed by God. Too much corruption. God operates on a different time scale. I don't really care because I can see the evidence that God wrecked this earth pretty badly and flooded many parts of the world not too long ago.

Why do we have freshwater fish? If there was a flood then they were probably deposited there at some point and got trapped. Melting ice, rain and river flow created the freshwater lakes. They probably adapted to their new environment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baikal_seal

I also think some may have swam up rivers and adapted like the freshwater dolphins. Not too sure how some animals and plants were saved but one thing is for sure there was a major cataclysmic event.

I don't disagree for sure these books have been tampered with. There's so many different versions too. This means nothing though because God will help you see whatever truth is in these books.

2 Timothy 3King James Version (KJV)
3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.

10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,

11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

They could work this into the next lord of the rings.

Madmick, as a religous zelot maybe you can answer this: if women is made of mans rib why do both men and women have the same number of ribs?

Ha!

Madmick, as a religous zelot maybe you can answer this: if women is made of mans rib why do both men and women have the same number of ribs?

Ha!

With such sophisticated arguments against God it's a miracle there's still theists out there.

Emma Bovary ain't great. Neither is Fydor Karamazov. How about Pap Finn? Or Jack from Lord of the Flies? Or the Schoolmaster from Toni Morrison's Beloved? Or Legree from Uncle Tom's cabin?

There are lot's of unattractive characters in fiction.

As a villain, Yahweh is kind of, meh. He's more like a Khal Drogo. Might makes right. Loyalty and strength are the only virtues. Pretty standard early Bronze Age fare.

Back