The most unpleasant character in all fiction

Emma Bovary ain't great. Neither is Fydor Karamazov. How about Pap Finn? Or Jack from Lord of the Flies? Or the Schoolmaster from Toni Morrison's Beloved? Or Legree from Uncle Tom's cabin?

There are lot's of unattractive characters in fiction.

As a villain, Yahweh is kind of, meh. He's more like a Khal Drogo. Might makes right. Loyalty and strength are the only virtues. Pretty standard early Bronze Age fare.

Ahh...but he can smite villages, kill thousands of babies in one shot and drown all humanity. Then...then...not only that...put you in hell for eternity! Now that is the best villain ever! Fydor Karamazov aint shit.

Jew imagination back then (2000 years ago) is just as good now with Hollywood. The gift that keeps on giving.

Someone should create a poll regarding who is the most unpleasant character in all fiction (including god as one of the options of course). Would be interesting to see who comes out on top.

I think the best way to view god as depicted in the bible is as an all powerful bad ass that can do whatever it wants. Don't get hung up on whether god is a good or a bad thing. Just marvel in awe as it creates and destroys things.

The Bible was TLDR for me so I sure as shit didn't read this crappy post.

Ahh...but he can smite villages, kill thousands of babies in one shot and drown all humanity. Then...then...not only that...put you in hell for eternity! Now that is the best villain ever! Fydor Karamazov aint shit.

Jew imagination back then (2000 years ago) is just as good now with Hollywood. The gift that keeps on giving.
Zeus was also kind of a bitch. He didn't have all these powers but he went around having sex with mortals and fucking things up for humanity.

God just has a messed up sense of humor

Oh god another Atheist circle jerk thread???

I always thought it was Holden Caufield.

Personally, I always thought God was a great character in the Bible.
His cosmic wager with the devil in Job was pretty fucked up.

Holden was just an emo teen.

Recently I've been reading a lot of Japanese stuff. They do proper fucked up.

I read one by Junichiro Tanizaki about a guy who gouges his own eyes out, because his bitch went blind and she kinda eggs him on to join her.

Another about a guy who is like 25 and breastfeeds from his stepmom, with approval from his dad.

Probably the most fucked up dude was Yoshihide, from Hell Screen, by Ryunosuke Akutagawa. He is making this giant painting of images of hell. But he needs to see what he paints. So if he wants to paint a giant snake choking the fuck out of a terrified boy, he sets it up.

It's all going to plan, but he needs a carriage with a beautiful girl burning to death inside of it. He asks the lord for help, and he agrees. But because Yoshihide is a distasteful SOB, the lord uses Yoshihide's own daughter, the only person he really cares about. At first, he's distraught when he sees her burning. But then he realizes it would make a really kickass addition to his painting after all. So he completes it, then hangs himself. Very cheerful stuff.

God is the most unpleasant character in all fiction. A Manacle, genocidal, homophobic, egomaniac.

1. He knew already before creating Adam that he would sin and be punished and burn. So why create him?

2. He flooded the entire earth killing countless women and children.

3. God created evil. He also uses a man in a red suit (the devil) with a good cop/bad cop routine. A total scapegoat that could be stopped if God wanted because God is omnipotent. The devil never killed anyone actually. The devil didn't kill humanity in a flood or rain down fire to destroy cities or kill thousands of first born children.

4. God regularly commanded the destruction of cities and the murder of children, rape of enemies and bathing in pigeon blood as remedy for leprosy. He lets 2 sides of the same religion fight each other to the death both proclaiming he is with that side. His omnipotent messages are so vague we are left to create 3000 different religions all competing with each other.

5. God ridiculous edicts in the bible and Koran: can't eat pig, kill a worker on Sunday, cut off hands and stone to death for this or that.

6. Hides during your lifetime (we live for about 80 years) then burns us for ETERNITY for not believing while he was hiding during your short life span. Totally set up.

7. Explain this twisted nonsense: Elisha and the Two Bears (2 Kings 2:23-25). 2 large bears jumped out of the woods and mauled 42 children to death for making fun of a bald man. LOL.

8. Today god kills 5 million children each year of disease and malnutrition before they reach the age of seven. Not to mention the thousands that die of bone cancer before the age of 5. If your prayers are answered (never will be anyway, dont' fool yourself) god must be busy giving children bone cancer instead of listening to your begging and wining for a new car.

9. Whoever didn't hear of god mighty message and cosmic plan is doomed (Amazonian tribes, nomads)

10. If you accept god into your heart after he tortured himself on a pole in human form you are saved, but you still have to go to church for some reason.

11. Mixed messages, allows a pope to speak for him that is also full of contradiction as much as God is. Pope said there is purgatory, then changed his mind and now there is no purgatory. Pope said fetuses that die go to hell, then changed his mind, and a host of other TOTAL BULLSHIT.

12. This is just the beginning, need I say more? Do you still believe in this nonsense?

Actually some points I had not considered (the first one especially).

His cosmic wager with the devil in Job was pretty fucked up.

I disagree. What was fucked up was the devil's destruction of Job's family and enterprises, etc. God didn't do that.

really??? I think it is one of the oldest arguments out there.

You're right regarding the idea that "if he's all-knowing, why did he do stuff he later had to fix". I just didn't encounter or think of the one here.

Back