Nintendo The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild official thread

It's not that you were barely doing damage, the Major Test of Strength guardians just have 3000 HP's so you have to go in there ready to inflict massive damage.

The first one I took out I broke every weapon and used just about all my arrows. He dropped great loot in a Guardians Great Axe with 60 damage, and Guardians Sword++ that did 40 damage. I used these 2 on the next Major Test of Strength and almost took him down with those 2 weapons since they had some pretty beefy durability.

Yeah I must have missed the first ones or something. I wasn't too far off the beaten path with this one, though, so I figured it might be ok. I did spend quite a while trying to see if there was some trick to defeating it but couldn't come up with anything.

Yeah I must have missed the first ones or something. I wasn't too far off the beaten path with this one, though, so I figured it might be ok. I did spend quite a while trying to see if there was some trick to defeating it but couldn't come up with anything.

No trick, just long. I think 3 phases, maybe more but I usually burn through them pretty quick.

The second phase took me a while to figure out you can bypass spinning laser and get in a ton of free hits. When they shoot the 360 laser spin you can jump and launch your paraglider and fly over the beam and drop down to attack to stun, then land some more free shots.

The last phase where they charge their beam will end the fight quick if you don't have the weaponry to burn down the last of their HP's. So if you saved up some weapons to take one down, I'd use the weaker ones in the first two phase and save your heavy hitters for the last phase. You may be able to deflect the beam attack with a guardian shield, but I suck and have never been able to pull them off and its always gotten me killed.

Advice for scout guardians. If you've made it to the lab in Akkala, buy the armor and upgrade it to level 2. It's perk is Ancient Affinity which increases your attack with ancient weapons while the armor itself has higher defense vs Guardians. For weapons, serial escalation. Start with the lowest grade scout weapons and ramp it up. I suggest the Shrine of Kaam Ya'tak which is just north of the Shrine of Oman Au just a little before the Central Tower. Inside you'll find 4 lower tier scouts(100hp each) you can kill for some laser blades and spears. Use those to kill modest challenge guardians and use THEIR weapons for the higher tier guardians or even hunting the roaving walkers. Combined with the enhanced Ancient Armor, you'll mow them down like wheat.

Edit: Forgot to add, these guys respawn on blood red moon events like all other enemies so you can farm them. With that in mind, don't bother buying the weapons from the lab unless you've already maxed out the armor since all of them require cores which aren't the easiest things to farm.

Last edited:
Advice for scout guardians. If you've made it to the lab in Akkala, buy the armor and upgrade it to level 2. It's perk is Ancient Affinity which increases your attack with ancient weapons while the armor itself has higher defense vs Guardians. For weapons, serial escalation. Start with the lowest grade scout weapons and ramp it up. I suggest the Shrine of Kaam Ya'tak which is just north of the Shrine of Oman Au just a little before the Central Tower. Inside you'll find 4 lower tier scouts(100hp each) you can kill for some laser blades and spears. Use those to kill modest challenge guardians and use THEIR weapons for the higher tier guardians or even hunting the roaving walkers. Combined with the enhanced Ancient Armor, you'll mow them down like wheat.

Edit: Forgot to add, these guys respawn on blood red moon events like all other enemies so you can farm them. With that in mind, don't bother buying the weapons from the lab unless you've already maxed out the armor since all of them require cores which aren't the easiest things to farm.

Yeah, buying the stuff from the shop seemed like a bum deal.

These are great tips though, it never occured to farm these weapons after a Bloodmoon, but I'm going to start now. I think I have 2 Guardian Swords++ and 2 Guardian Greataxes, but could always make room for more!

I just made it to Akkala this weekend and was grinding Cores for the armor set, currently sitting at 7 of the 9 needed. Was hoping the level 2 set bonus was noticible, so glad to hear it is. I wish I was better at the Perfect Block because that really fucks up the Guardians that roam around Hyrule Castle, but I can only hit it like 50% of the time at best and end up breaking my shields. I resorted to sneaking somewhat close and hitting them with Stasis then chopping away at their legs to try to imobilize them. The Master Sword powers up nicely when fighting so I can usually clear 5~6 before it runs out of juice.

They're surprisingly nimble and even with the powered up Master Sword I find myself whiffing A LOT when trying to chop out the legs. Guardian weapons seem to knock the legs out when you're not even remotely close, but I hate to waste them on the roaming Guardians when I have the Master Sword that recharges.

Yeah, buying the stuff from the shop seemed like a bum deal.

These are great tips though, it never occured to farm these weapons after a Bloodmoon, but I'm going to start now. I think I have 2 Guardian Swords++ and 2 Guardian Greataxes, but could always make room for more!

I just made it to Akkala this weekend and was grinding Cores for the armor set, currently sitting at 7 of the 9 needed. Was hoping the level 2 set bonus was noticible, so glad to hear it is. I wish I was better at the Perfect Block because that really fucks up the Guardians that roam around Hyrule Castle, but I can only hit it like 50% of the time at best and end up breaking my shields. I resorted to sneaking somewhat close and hitting them with Stasis then chopping away at their legs to try to imobilize them. The Master Sword powers up nicely when fighting so I can usually clear 5~6 before it runs out of juice.

They're surprisingly nimble and even with the powered up Master Sword I find myself whiffing A LOT when trying to chop out the legs. Guardian weapons seem to knock the legs out when you're not even remotely close, but I hate to waste them on the roaming Guardians when I have the Master Sword that recharges.

The bow of Savage Lynel. It's hit impact is so hard, that a critical hit is capable of tipping them over. About 10 crit shots kills a Guardian easily. The weapons are legit amazing, but cores are hard to come by and are better spent upgrading the armor.

Last edited:
The only things stopping me from playing this game for hours at a time is the Wii U gamepad and my wife.

There is always something I want to do before I stop.

Finally got the Master Sword today. Will put my thoughts in spoilers just in case:

-Lost Woods are a lot creepier this time around. So glad there was a torch there, otherwise I doubt I ever would have figured out how to get through there

-Korok forest is just awesome. Love everything about it, don't ever want to leave. The sounds the Koroks make are just too adorable. Ever pick up a rock and a Korok pops out? Drop the rock back on it and giggle at the sound

-The trip to the woods was much needed. I had 120 freaking Korok seeds to blow on extra inventory slots, and I was able to add 5 weapon slots, 5 bow slots and 5 shield slots. Finally I won't have to sacrifice one weapon for another as I journey along.

The only 2 armors I've really been working on upgrading have been the Hylian Set and Climbing set and have them both at level 3.

I've only upgraded the ancient armor set. I might upgrade the barbarian set at some point.

The bow of Savage Lynel. It's hit impact is so hard, that a critical hit is capable of tipping them over. About 10 crit shots kills a Guardian easily. The weapons are legit amazing, but cores are hard to come by and are better spent upgrading the armor.

Half way done with my armor farming and have been wrecking shit with the Ancient Proficiency perk. I have 6 shrines flagged that are Major Test of Strength, and with the Ancient Proficiency perk and can drop the Guardian with a single Guardian Axe++. By the end of the battle it's pretty much toast, so I just toss it and replace it with the one the Guardian drops, the additional weapons/sheild are a bonus.

Also roam around Hyrule Castle after each blood moon to farm the guardians there looking for Ancient cores. Need 6 more to get the the set to level 3 and 1 piece is maxed. The Giant Ancient Cores seem like they're going to be a bitch to farm. Only gotten 2 from chests.

I've only upgraded the ancient armor set. I might upgrade the barbarian set at some point.

Working on the Ancient now, but thinking I'm going to hit a wall with the Giant Ancient Cores for level 4. I've found 2 in chests and haven't been able to find online where you can get them.

Planning on working the Barbian set next. Seems like it will be a pain to farm Lynels, but at least they drop the stuff you need so you just have to try and push blood moons.

Wow.. just solved the lost woods puzzle. I was lost in there for quite a while. Was kinda pissing me off...

Working on the Ancient now, but thinking I'm going to hit a wall with the Giant Ancient Cores for level 4. I've found 2 in chests and haven't been able to find online where you can get them.

Planning on working the Barbian set next. Seems like it will be a pain to farm Lynels, but at least they drop the stuff you need so you just have to try and push blood moons.
I think I have 6 giant cores right now. I have a pretty good routine. I kill all the guardians around hyrule castle, a few elsewhere, do a few specific ore sites, hit about 5 Stone Talus guys, sell some loot, buy more elemental and ancient arrows, and hopefully everything is about respawn by now and I repeat the process.

The ancient bow kills guardians with 4 eye shots. Or you can kill them with one ancient arrow eye shot with any bow.

Can you tame a buck and keep it like a horse? I got one under control yesterday and they are so much more fun to ride than a horse.

I only have about an hour a day to game, so I'm behind you guys, but I feel that I've played enough to say that this game lives up to MOST of the hype. I've played all the old school Zeldas, but stopped after Wind Waker. I give Nintendo huge credit for taking a great step forward in their franchise.

On top of that, it's pretty amazing how well-paced it is for being an open world game. There is always something right at the tip of your grasp to explore, and it never feels like work.

I think this game puts Zelda alongside Skyrim/GTA/Witcher on my open world mt. rushmore.

another one has been converted to the dark side of the triforce... muwahahahahaha!!! :)

another one has been converted to the dark side of the triforce... muwahahahahaha!!! :)

When I was a kid I loved Zelda games. But Wind Waker was kind of let down for me and I just never cared for what I saw of the following games.

The thing that I really like about this game is that it's a product of what I think every developer should be doing right now. You have a very strong but aging IP. How do you truly push it forward and improve it without sacrificing what made it great to begin with. I think Nintendo achieved this in spades with this game.

CD Projekt did it with W3, Capcom just did it with RE 7, and now Nintendo with BotW. I hope this is a trend we see more of in the latter half of this gen. I also hope Todd Howard pays attention to the things that work in this, because he and bethesda can do great things by incorporating a lot of it.

agreed.

I didn't like WindWaker as well. The huge dungeons were great but getting to them was a chore and a bore. I've shitted on WindWaker many times in these forums.

Took a break from questing together all the towers and open up the map. Then I'm going to work on shrines (will be hitting up shrines close to the towers) and get enough hearts to head to get my master sword. Then back to the Zora quest line and go in from there

Took a break from questing together all the towers and open up the map. Then I'm going to work on shrines (will be hitting up shrines close to the towers) and get enough hearts to head to get my master sword. Then back to the Zora quest line and go in from there

This is pretty much what I did and it eased some weapon breaking stress. I was always worried about having weapons on hand in the early game and hoarding anything decent. Once I got the Master Sword I knew I always had that on hand to burn through and hold on to some of the better weapons.

The Master Sword does run out of energy and hits a 10 minute timer, but I'm still able to burn through trash mobs with it or Bokoblin camps and save the good weapons for more pressing battles. Once it drains, it's usually ready for the next fight.

Back