The All-Purpose Motor Sports Thread V2: Throwing hats trigger GWCs.

Anyone ever use the jayski Nascar site? It's moved over to ESPN and is trash now. I've been checking that site since the late 90's. Fuck.

ESPN ruining something. Imagine that.

Harvick leads all the way at Atlanta winning segments one and 2 only to get caught speeding on pit road with 18 laps to go. He had to start at the back and could only get back to 9th.

Keselowski had to pit early in the race when he overworked his right front tire but he managed to recover and took the win.

Hot Rod's Drag Week is coming to Illinois this year. Registration sold out in 6 minutes, there will be over 400 cars. Drag week is a run what you brought drag races each day, but you have to drive the car to each location. Last year was a 1200 mile round trip. You can't put it on a trailer, get towed to a shop, etc. If it breaks down, you have to fix it with what you have. You can tow a trailer with parts, but you can't have a follow vehicle with parts.
You might notice some names from Street Outlaws like Jeff Lutz, Larry Larson, and Tom Bailey that have won.
Here's the schedule.
September 10 – Cordova International Raceway, Registration & Test-n-Tune
19425 IL-84
Cordova, IL 61242
September 11 – Cordova International Raceway, Racing Day 1
19425 IL-84
Cordova, IL 61242
September 12 – Gateway Motorsports Park, Racing Day 2
700 Raceway Blvd
Madison, IL 62060
September 13 – Byron Dragway, Racing Day 3
7287 N River Rd
Byron, IL 61010
September 14 – Great Lakes Dragaway, Racing Day 4
18411 1st St
Union Grove, WI 53182
September 15 – Cordova International Raceway, Final Day of Racing
19425 IL-84
Cordova, IL 61242

How do they enforce those rules?

Harvick leads all the way at Atlanta winning segments one and 2 only to get caught speeding on pit road with 18 laps to go. He had to start at the back and could only get back to 9th.

Keselowski had to pit early in the race when he overworked his right front tire but he managed to recover and took the win.

Larson was an idiot abandoning the bottom.

Larson was an idiot abandoning the bottom.

He was quite a bit slower and couldn't hold it down there. If he had tried, the Louse would have passed him high or wrecked him. Harvick was the only one who could hold the bottom.

He was quite a bit slower and couldn't hold it down there. If he had tried, the Louse would have passed him high or wrecked him. Harvick was the only one who could hold the bottom.

DW said as much, too.

Is Kevin Harvick a better driver than most? Why does he have more success than other teams with the same owner who should have the same equipment? It happened at RCR and SHR. I don't know if he communicates with his team better or just drives better.

Is Kevin Harvick a better driver than most? Why does he have more success than other teams with the same owner who should have the same equipment? It happened at RCR and SHR. I don't know if he communicates with his team better or just drives better.

He's the total package, imo.

The new GT4 Camaro took 2nd and 7th yesterday in the Pirelli World Challange in St Petersburg. The new Panoz Avezzano GT overheated and DNF'd.

I'm liking this series, but I don't get the difference between GT and GTA cars. The Vantage GT3 looked the same but was in both classes. I'm pretty sure the GT3R and the Ferrari had cars in both classes as well. Can someone help me out here?

The new GT4 Camaro took 2nd and 7th yesterday in the Pirelli World Challange in St Petersburg. The new Panoz Avezzano GT overheated and DNF'd.

I'm liking this series, but I don't get the difference between GT and GTA cars. The Vantage GT3 looked the same but was in both classes. I'm pretty sure the GT3R and the Ferrari had cars in both classes as well. Can someone help me out here?
I havent watched the Pirelli series in years, but id surmise its the same setup as GTD and GTLM in IMSA. GTD are based on the same cars as GTLM but have a little less power and much less downforce.

I havent watched the Pirelli series in years, but id surmise its the same setup as GTD and GTLM in IMSA. GTD are based on the same cars as GTLM but have a little less power and much less downforce.
So in the series you're talking about, when you mention downforce do you mean different wings, splitters, and ride height

No way NASCAR is going away

They are losing fans as older fans die and attending races is too expensive for the demographic that likes it. NASCAR putting their commentators in suits shows how out of touch they are. NASCAR is also bleeding sponsors.

I can see a time where the season consists of four major races. Xfinity and trucks will surely go away.

Crash in turn three on lap one of the Indy race.

I can see a time where the season consists of four major races. Xfinity and trucks will surely go away.

Promoters can get short sighted. The local dirt tracks had 3 classes of racing but most of the pay went to the top class. One of the tracks switched to only running the lower 2 classes, dropping ticket prices and offering reasonable concessions prices. It resulted in increased attendance.

Back