Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI v.2 (First Critics Reviews Are Here; George Lucas' Reaction)

What did you think of the latest trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
True... but as you mentioned... none of that Palpatine clone stuff is Canon. Doesn't mean they can't use it & make it Canon... but we can't hold too close to the Palpatine clones until they make it "real."

& Rey's mom being unknown is kind of my point about how Luke could've been the one to kill her. We don't know. @One MMA Fan was speculating on what could turn Rey against Luke... & to his point... Luke telling her he killed his mom & dropped her off on Jakku might do the trick... but I'm really pressed to rolll with that idea mainly because 10 year old Rey is all ready rocking Jakku clothing when the space ship takes off in the force vision. Likely she was all ready on Jakku at that time. the people that took off were likely her parents since she's hung up on them coming back.

I suppose it's possible Luke killed them later... but then how would he know about Rey? ...and that the people he killed were her parents? Again, it's possible... but it's a big stretch to get us there imo.

Fair points, well presented. To be honest, if Rey is a Palpatine, she will have a natural affinity to the Dark Side. If Luke rejects her because he fears her potential, she may well turn to the Dark Side out of frustration.

in the canon novelisation of RoTS, it's implied that Palpatine is an avatar of the Dark Side itself. That's why he's so powerful. If Rey is a Palpatine and has enherited his potential, she will find it difficult to stay in the Light.

It's even better the second time you read it. It's the best SW novel

Just finished reading it again this morning. And I agree: I enjoyed it more the second time around. It was actually easier to understand, as since reading the novel the first time, I'd read some of the Legends stories it referenced.

Director Rian Johnson and producer Ram Bergman recently sat down to talk about the movie.

“That very last image of The Force Awakens,with Rey holding the lightsaber out to Luke, that was so evocative. In every other case, Star Wars movies jumped forward in leaps of time. I knew I was supposed to do that, but the last image was intriguing. I knew I wanted to know where we were going next,” Johnson said.

You had no second thoughts when you were scouting Skellig Michael and then took a look at those 600 stairs up the mountainside?

It had been built up so much before we got there, saying, "You have to be careful on the steps. Take breaks. This is going to be so hard." The first time I climbed the steps, I got to the top, and I thought we were at the halfway point. I guess it had been built up to me so much, it actually wasn’t as bad as I thought.

Wouldn’t greenscreen have been easier and more economical?

I’m sure it would have been more economical, but it was so worth it to do it the way we did it. We got a feel, we got a vibe, we got a grounded kind of look that we never could have gotten on the greenscreen. I guess I should add that I was just trolloping up the stairs without a pack on my back. All of our great Irish crew, who acted as sherpas carting our equipment up the stairs, it was much more difficult for them. I don’t want to be cavalier about the stairs.

What do you think of the speculation surrounding the latest poster, and has Luke gone over to the dark side?

Having been a Star Wars fan myself for the past 40 years, having spent most of my life on the other side of the curtain, I know the anticipation and the guesswork and theorizing is all part of the fun and game of it. So I love it. I love seeing what people are thinking, seeing what they’re guessing, seeing what they’re anticipating.

Part of it is recontextualizing past movies. How does yours do that?

Each new film hopefully recontextualizes what came before it. That’s part of the game. Yes, it’s a continuation of not only The Force Awakens, but also of the legacy leading up to it.

And, of course, the third movie will be referencing your movie. Have there been any discussions?

J.J. Abrams is doing a third movie. I’m not involved in it. They’ll be writing their own story, but continuing on with what we did.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-rian-johnson-luke-is-dark-1050514

Haha at the end there he distanced himself from JJ. :D

DNAJsUHW0AUsc7I.jpg:large

DNAKH_gWAAUcVIJ.jpg:large

DNAKoaBX4AAbcTz.jpg:large

More Porgs just for @EvilDDS and @Myrddin Wild

Director Rian Johnson and producer Ram Bergman recently sat down to talk about the movie.

“That very last image of The Force Awakens,with Rey holding the lightsaber out to Luke, that was so evocative. In every other case, Star Wars movies jumped forward in leaps of time. I knew I was supposed to do that, but the last image was intriguing. I knew I wanted to know where we were going next,” Johnson said.

You had no second thoughts when you were scouting Skellig Michael and then took a look at those 600 stairs up the mountainside?

It had been built up so much before we got there, saying, "You have to be careful on the steps. Take breaks. This is going to be so hard." The first time I climbed the steps, I got to the top, and I thought we were at the halfway point. I guess it had been built up to me so much, it actually wasn’t as bad as I thought.

Wouldn’t greenscreen have been easier and more economical?

I’m sure it would have been more economical, but it was so worth it to do it the way we did it. We got a feel, we got a vibe, we got a grounded kind of look that we never could have gotten on the greenscreen. I guess I should add that I was just trolloping up the stairs without a pack on my back. All of our great Irish crew, who acted as sherpas carting our equipment up the stairs, it was much more difficult for them. I don’t want to be cavalier about the stairs.

What do you think of the speculation surrounding the latest poster, and has Luke gone over to the dark side?

Having been a Star Wars fan myself for the past 40 years, having spent most of my life on the other side of the curtain, I know the anticipation and the guesswork and theorizing is all part of the fun and game of it. So I love it. I love seeing what people are thinking, seeing what they’re guessing, seeing what they’re anticipating.

Part of it is recontextualizing past movies. How does yours do that?

Each new film hopefully recontextualizes what came before it. That’s part of the game. Yes, it’s a continuation of not only The Force Awakens, but also of the legacy leading up to it.

And, of course, the third movie will be referencing your movie. Have there been any discussions?

J.J. Abrams is doing a third movie. I’m not involved in it. They’ll be writing their own story, but continuing on with what we did.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-rian-johnson-luke-is-dark-1050514

Haha at the end there he distanced himself from JJ. :D

DNAJsUHW0AUsc7I.jpg:large

DNAKH_gWAAUcVIJ.jpg:large

DNAKoaBX4AAbcTz.jpg:large

More Porgs just for @EvilDDS and @Myrddin Wild
Some women have a lot of cats and become "Crazy cat lady", Chewie is going to become "Crazy Porg wookie". He loves those little guys, and looks like they like him

Last edited:
A lot could have happened, still young and naive Luke from the end of ep 6 could be very different then a more jaded older Luke that seen and done some stuff by now.

When I say he killed Palp I mean his son aka Rey's father but he had limits and couldm't take out a 5 year old girl too.. so he just dropped her off with uncle fat alien.

<Fedor23>

I don't know if Luke is evil it must take some serious stuff.. maybe Snoke tried to turn him and he is left full Jekyll and Hyde struggling in the middle.
New book coming out in a few days, called The Legends of Luke Skywalker. It's 6 stories about tidbits that people have heard about what Luke has done over the years leading up to The Last Jedi. Read a brief clip and sounds like he may or may not have brought down one of the Star Destroyers that sits on Jakku.

Here's a link to an excerpt from the book describing that story. Will check it out when I'm done with From A Certain Point of View, hopefully in the next few days

http://ew.com/books/2017/10/20/star-wars-ken-liu-the-legends-of-luke-skywalker-novel-excerpt/

Little hampster

{<jordan}

iu

there's a bunch of them though.... so they could kill off a few & be okay. Might be too traumatic for the kids watching though.
Chewie better not eat them. I have a feeling that during his escape from Crait or Ahch-To, he'll be doing some fancy maneuvers and the Porg are gonna be flying all over the cockpit and smack into his face a few times, hence the feather in his mouth.

Some women have a lot of cats and become "Crazy cat lady", Chewie is going to become "Crazy Porg wookie". He loves those little guys, and looks like they like him
OMG... I got no time to shoop right now... but I'm on it!!!!

Last edited:
New book coming out in a few days, called The Legends of Luke Skywalker. It's 6 stories about tidbits that people have heard about what Luke has done over the years leading up to The Last Jedi.
We must know the contents of that book before watching ep 8.

iu

We must know the contents of that book before watching ep 8.

iu
The description of the book is weird. It's stories that people have heard through other sources, so not direct accounts of what really happened. So some may have been embellished over the years. I'm guessing Rey heard some of these growing up and that's why she says "I thought he was a myth" in TFA. But as Ahsoka said in Rebels, "there's always some truth in legends!"

Saw an article regarding Carrie Fisher and an actress friend of hers named Heather Robinson.

Robinson recounted in a story recently that she had told Fisher that a famous producer assaulted her.

Carrie Fisher went to his office, with a Tiffany box, wrapped in a bow. Inside contained a cow tongue. And Carrie said something to the effect of "if you ever touch my friend again, I'll be delivering something of yours, in a much smaller box!"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...edatory-producer-cows-tongue-heather-robinson

Carrie Fisher once hand-delivered a cow’s tongue wrapped in a Tiffany box to a predatory Hollywood producer, a friend of the late actor has claimed.

“It was a cow tongue from Jerry’s Famous Deli with a note that said: ‘If you ever touch my darling Heather or any other woman again, the next delivery will be something of yours in a much smaller box,’” Robinson recalled.

What if the porgs swarm on baddies and strip flesh from bone like a school of alien pirahnas, will they be cool then?

And this should be an option at restaurants. I'll have a steak, medium-rare, and can you Porg my potatoes please
lol... Haven't tried Porging my potatoes yet.. but it's definitely on my list! :p

I've tried Porgkebobs, Porgdogs, filet of Porg, Porg Gumbo, Porg etouffee, Porg scampi, Porg Florantine....

iu

.... Porg Poppers, Porg sandwiches....

... and that's about it.

iu

The porgs are creepy. I like those lil' diamond foxes though. I want one of those.

International trailer, nothing crazy, just looks like a remix of the teaser and trailer we saw a few weeks ago, with a few new things sprinkled in there

International trailer, nothing crazy, just looks like a remix of the teaser and trailer we saw a few weeks ago, with a few new things sprinkled in there

Yea.. disappointing the Ep. 7 international trailers really had different stuff in them.. this one not so much just 1 Rey line and a few shots of BB8/C3PO and a sec or two of different angle on a helmet/space battle, nothing of essence.

Then the poster, they are using Rey for extra promotion "the girl from the new series" hoping to do better then focusing on Luke.

DNZweFHVwAIyTpj.jpg:large

Also TV commercial with 3 secs of new footage in the start Rey on the steps going to the force tree / first temple.

Last edited:
This reminds me.. the old sherdog meme "needs more birds" we seem to be dealing with a case of "needs more porgs".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back