Locked STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (New Footage from D23 Reel)

What did you think of the teaser trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I didn't like that character in EP 7. I hope he has better lines and a better look in the next ones but overall the problem is the casting in my opinion and there is only so much you can improve now with him.

Rian Johnson promises that this will be a more grown up themed movie and that originality will be on display in this one now, we shall see but from what I saw of him till now he is a very different type of director then J.J. each of them with strong points and weak points but this film will be of another flavor then what we got so far, this is make or brake time for the new trilogy in my opinion, cause with the first one you got us back, you blended the new with the old set us on paths etc but now it's game time this is where it counts and the closing one is the feel good moment and wrapping everything up and giving us cool moments but the middle is the key this is where the meat is so to say.

Funny thing I liked Rogue One better after walking out of the movie but then watching it again at home I had different enjoyment, lesser then my initial first viewing for me I'm the other way around compared to you I have a much easier time and enjoyment in re-watching Force Awakens.

I also happened to watch Force Awakens with a group of younger kids well young adults or what you call them 19-20 y/o that aren't big into sci fi and only saw the original trilogy in bits and pieces on the TV growing up and all of them enjoyed the movie from a-z and they had 0 complains on the story or originality or soft/reboot feelings etc.. nothing for them it was fresh and great and will gladly see the others.

I overlooked this aspect from Disney they made this into a great standalone for new younger fans they won't know whats what and just take what is presented to them in that moment with no past ramifications, it's kinda great for any new fan that can maybe feel the older ones to outdated or to much work to put into a franchise, like if you have a kid growing up you can just show him ep 7 then move forward and if he really digs it you can get him the late 70's early 80's movies out for him.

I could potentially see Gleeson working better as Hux if the character is played a bit straighter, still don't think he'd have a ton of gravitas but maybe as a more political animal rather than a foaming Nazi.

Generally my opinion of Abrams as a director has diminished with time. I think he benefited greatly from coming into franchises that had become very stale and giving us something bright and fun(thus becoming the darling of simplistic youtube reviewers like Red Letter Media and Chris Stuckman) but really I find his style lacking in much substance to reward repeat viewings. His characters end up as very simplistic archtypes and his plots are a confused mess for me constantly trying to throw action/twists at the viewer rather than building towards anything effectively.

Granted you could argue Marvel tend to follow some of the same patterns but in there case I think you can point towards there better films having a good deal more originality and character to them.

Rogue One on the other hand actually comes across as a film made for something other than maximum first time thrill ride viewing. There was a good deal to like in that respect for me but equally I think the plot/characters/atmosphere rewards repeat viewings far more. This to me is very much more inline with classic Star Wars as well, those films legacy is really based on how they hold up top repeat viewings, even at the cinema back then you were talking films that hung around for months with cheaper tickets that people saw loads of times.

I am more hopeful for the future after that and I wouldn't be supprised if Abrams was forced on Lucasfilm by Disney as a low risk option. Granted I think the end results of it were highly questionable due to Lucas's own decline BUT I do think you can argue Lucasfilm is moreso than most studios setup to cater for creative directors rather than a production line mentality.

Last edited:
simplistic youtube reviewers like Red Letter Media and Chris Stuckman
<{1-7}>

Oh man you hit me right where it hurts with that one, they are my go to guys not necessary on their likes and dislikes but for their own views, styles and entertainment value.

You really find them simplistic ?

For example I loved that 50 minute Force Awakens video from Chris but I hated the Rogue One analysis.. and the salty sarcastic goofs at Red Letter are so lovable, I don't know at least to me, to each his own in the end. (I'm off now to catch some zzzZZZzzz)

<{1-7}>

Oh man you hit me right where it hurts with that one, they are my go to guys not necessary on their likes and dislikes but for their own views, styles and entertainment value.

You really find them simplistic ?

For example I loved that 50 minute Force Awakens video from Chris but I hated the Rogue One analysis.. and the salty sarcastic goofs at Red Letter are so lovable, I don't know at least to me, to each his own in the end. (I'm off now to catch some zzzZZZzzz)

I don't think there terrible reviewers and Red Letter Media are generally very entertaining but yeah I do feel they can often look at things in a simplifed and not very honest fashion.

In this case espeically I think there was a massive agenda at play for both of them. They'd basically spent years beforehand talking up Abrams as a great example of blockbuster cinema and exactly what Star Wars needed. From that position I think they needed to love that film and equally I think they became very defencive when we saw another Star Wars film that didnt follow there preffered formula released and recieved well.

Personally my view of those famous prequel reviews is yeah they do pick out legitimate issues from deeply flawed films but I think its then a BIG leap for them to claim that this gives them perfect insight into blockbuster cinema, like a man beating up a 70 year old ex boxer and claiming he's ready to fight for a world title. I wouldnt say I'm any cinematic expert myself but to me they come across like a student coming out of his first cinema 101 lecture convinced he's the next Spielberg, way too sure of themselves for the level of knowledge/analysis they actually bring.

Red Letter Media whilst amusing themselves to me also seem to play into the culture I really dislike with modern blockbusters. This idea that nothing should ever take itself seriously lest it be open to be mocked as "geekish". Not saying a broader style can't work and it has with films like Guardians of the Galaxy where it suits the material but this to me is a bit of a schoolyard mentality and watching films like The Force Awakens almost feels like it has inbuilt less funny RLM commentary to it with the self effacing meta humour. That for me is a really bad fit for SW not working with the story the film is nominally trying to tell and becomes grating pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Lego just spoiled the name and function of one of the ships seen in the trailer.

SQAfXZo.jpg

"First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern's Characters"

Where? I didn't see them in the trailer at all.

"First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern's Characters"

Where? I didn't see them in the trailer at all.
They're in the Vanity Fair photo shoot a bit earlier in this thread.

Pics of the new transports? Heard they were gorilla like in their appearance

18985392_737696323081919_375875075_n.jpg

19046725_737696329748585_573624405_n.jpg

Also, anyone read the new Darth Vader comic that dropped this week? Its a canon story line so interested to see how it unfolds. It takes place just after Revenge of the Sith. Palpatine is a real asshole to Vader, I guess to drive his anger stronger.

darth-vader-comic-1-666x1024.jpg

Vader has no lightsaber since Obi-Wan took it after their battle so Palpatine tells him to go steal one from a remaining Jedi if he can find one. Meanwhile, Palpatine throws all the lightsabers (including Yoda's)
from the fallen Jedi into a huge furnace to destroy them right in front of Vader.

He tells Vader the sith blades are red because the Kybers are basically living entities, and the strong hatred within a sith is too much for the Kyber to handle so it bleeds red in colour.

Also, they go towards their ships, and Palpatine says basically, Oh guess your ship got stolen, take care buddy and hops in his ship and leaves Vader on Mustafar to fend for himself

It was well done, not sure how many comics will be in this series

Last edited:
Also, anyone read the new Darth Vader comic that dropped this week? Its a canon story line so interested to see how it unfolds. It takes place just after Revenge of the Sith. Palpatine is a real asshole to Vader, I guess to drive his anger stronger.

Vader has no lightsaber since Obi-Wan took it after their battle so Palpatine tells him to go steal one from a remaining Jedi if he can find one. Meanwhile, Palpatine throws all the lightsabers (including Yoda's)
from the fallen Jedi into a huge furnace to destroy them right in front of Vader.

He tells Vader the sith blades are red because the Kybers are basically living entities, and the strong hatred within a sith is too much for the Kyber to handle so it bleeds red in colour.

Also, they go towards their ships, and Palpatine says basically, Oh guess your ship got stolen, take care buddy and hops in his ship and leaves Vader on Mustafar to fend for himself

Not yet.

So you liked it overall ?

@Myrddin Wild @Slobodan @PureLite

Not yet.

Yeah, first one was good. Such a quick read though. Kinda wish they would release all the comics at once so you could binge read them

Looking forward to see who Vader tracks down to steal a kyber crystal from. And I think they're going to explore his suit more, within this comic he plays around a bit with the lens of his mask, apparently he can change the tint on them. Don't want to say too much else so not to spoil it for you if you do read it

This first issue has nothing on the last Vader series. Nothing.

Charles Soule has been hit or miss for me. Plus he's the one who has been heading the INHUMANS push that has been shoved down our throats and has been a big failure. Thanks for ruining the Xmen and the INHUMANS at the same time Marvel/Soule.

Not yet.

Also, just finished reading the Aftermath trilogy, and Bloodline. I actually liked Bloodline better than the Aftermath trilogy. It's more about Leia and the politics but you get to see the infighting that leads to the rise of the First Order. Ben, (Solo, not Kenobi) is with Luke during this story too so Leia hasn't seen him in years while Han is in and out of her life, probably leading to their split.
Takes place 6 years prior to The Force Awakens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back