Southern Baptists Have a New President-- And He Just Rebuked Mike Pence

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Overall, Evangelicals have been unflagging in their support of President Trump, and the Republican Party in recent decades, but there is a sentiment among many church leaders that the group has allowed its identity to become too political. The new President of the Southern Baptists (an "evangelical sect" and the nation's largest Protestant sect) J.D. Greear is promising to bring a less politicized gospel to his followers.

Greear said on Monday:
"We believe that Jesus is the lord of the whole earth. He is the king of kings and he is the lord of lords. We believe that he, not any version of Caesar, is the Messiah. He is the Christ, the son of the living God, that salvation is found in him, not in the Republican platform or the Democratic platform, and that salvation did not come riding in on the wings of Air Force One. It came cradled in a manger."

Vice President Mike Pence addressed the Souther Baptist Convention yesterday, speaking briefly of his own personal conversion experience before going on to tout the political accomplishments of Donald Trump at length. There had been a vote to remove Pence as a speaker from the Convention the previous day-- but the motion only received about 30% support.

gettyimages-973541790_wide-2429582a75079a2e5099b4cef4427fcd1fb706dd-s800-c85.jpg

After Pence's speech, Greear tweeted:
"I know that sent a terribly mixed signal. We are grateful for civic leaders who want to speak to our Convention—but make no mistake about it, our identity is in the gospel and our unity is in the Great Commission. Commissioned missionaries, not political platforms, are what we do."

The election of Greear seems to crystallize the ascendancy of more politically moderate voices in the Southern Baptist Church; during the convention in which he was elected, resolutions were passed that called for more acceptance of immigrants, criticized the separation of families at the border and urged more generous treatment of refugees.

Greear's election comes at a tumultuous time, as leaders of several prominent Southern Baptist churches have been exposed as sexual predators, and the church's overall culture of suppressing the voices and concerns of women has been criticized.

Of the recent scandals Greear wrote:
"God is stirring in the SBC. He has exposed a startling amount of sin in our midst. He has shaken many of our foundations. And I actually think that’s good news, because whom the Lord loves, he chastens."

Greear, the youngest leader of the SBC to be elected in decades, also wrote of race relations, saying: "We need to recognize the leadership gifts of brothers and sisters of color that God has placed in our midst and embrace their leadership. This should have happened a long time ago, but in this new era we desperately need their wisdom and influence.”

Greear is pictured humorously in the middle between his described "protection"-- newly elected SBC Vice Presidents Felix Cabrera and Dr. A.B. Vines:

Dfm3lZqV4AAeU1C

https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...cted-southern-baptist-president-sbc-2018.html

Greear's message gives me hope for the Gospel in America. The Southern church has been perverted in recent decades-- and in many ways since its inception-- as it has allowed "Evangelicalism" to become a political and cultural identity rather than a genuine discipleship of Christ (this criticism is by no means limited to the Evangelicals; although, they are the most politicized of any American religious group:
http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-co...2225/FT_16.11.09_Relig_ExitPoll_ReligRace.png)

If Greear succeeds in "de-weaponizing" the Evangelical Church as a platform of the Republican party, it would be a good thing, and a potentially major shift in American electoral politics. Good luck to President Greear and Peace to All People of Goodwill.

Last edited:
A little self-reflection can't hurt. What he is declaring isnt unreasonable, and to any man of any type of faith shouldn't be especially controversial.

Good for him.

The Republican Party has just assumed that Christians will vote for them and have not done shit for them.
Abortion has been legal for over 40 years, which should show Christians the GOP don't care about them.

The church is losing members and this is an attempt to be more "liberal" and will back fire on them.

The money base is in the older members.

Also he doesn't dictate like the pope so the independent church's and conferences can still do what they please. Each church hires it's own pastor and can fire them if they want.

That said some things he said are a good direction.

The church is losing members and this is an attempt to be more "liberal" and will back fire on them.

The money base is in the older members.

Also he doesn't dictate like the pope so the independent church's and conferences can still do what they please. Each church hires it's own pastor and can fire them if they want.

That said some things he said are a good direction.
I’m not sure you understand the denomination very well. Almost no one in an SBC church could tell you who the president of the convention is. That’s because SBC churches are each independent and not in any way beholden to the convention. The SBC basically cooperates to send missionaries, plant churches, and educate ministers.
While it’s true that churches of all types are losing members, no one would think the president of the SBC could influence that. Also, Greer is in no way liberal, but he does resonate with younger evangelicals and can really provide a fresh vision.

I read the story twice and I'm still unclear why this guy was so offended by Pence.

I read the story twice and I'm still unclear why this guy was so offended by Pence.
Because Pence used the majority of his speaking time to promote political issues rather than the Christian faith... which is exactly the opposite of the direction Greear wants to lead the SBC.

I’m not sure you understand the denomination very well. Almost no one in an SBC church could tell you who the president of the convention is. That’s because SBC churches are each independent and not in any way beholden to the convention. The SBC basically cooperates to send missionaries, plant churches, and educate ministers.
While it’s true that churches of all types are losing members, no one would think the president of the SBC could influence that. Also, Greer is in no way liberal, but he does resonate with younger evangelicals and can really provide a fresh vision.

I grew SB. I know how the church I was in was run baaicly.

And what you said is what I said. Each church basicly does it own thing for the most part.

However he is the "face" of the SBC he is trying to appeal to the younger slightly less consertive.

I'm not sure if this will because the last time I talked to people from the SB church's I know of even the younger people were mostly consertive.c

But I will say even the older people I know are moving a little and accepting some things like SS marriage to a degree .

However on most social issues even the young are still conservative.

Glad to hear it. The politicizing of Christianity is something that needs to be based on actual alignment of Christian values and not superficial political imagery.

And I'm not singling Trump out for this but it's the most searchable image that popped into my head while typing.

Xf5R.gif

The Republican Party has just assumed that Christians will vote for them and have not done shit for them.
Abortion has been legal for over 40 years, which should show Christians the GOP don't care about them.

Very similar to the Democrat party and the black voting population. .

Dems just assume they have the "black vote" even though they do little for them.

Very similar to the Democrat party and the black voting population. .

Dems just assume they have the "black vote" even though they do little for them.

Its not what the Dems do for them, is what the Reps do against them that have them voting Dem.

Last edited:
I think he's calling them CINOs.

Christians in name only.

I’m stealing this. Can be used for an extremely sad number of people. Both public ones and friends/family I personally know

It seems libs really want to pry Christians away from Trump. Not gonna work.

Overall, Evangelicals have been unflagging in their support of President Trump, and the Republican Party in recent decades, but there is a sentiment among many church leaders that the group has allowed its identity to become too political. The new President of the Southern Baptists (an "evangelical sect" and the nation's largest Protestant sect) J.D. Greear is promising to bring a less politicized gospel to his followers.

Greear said on Monday:
"We believe that Jesus is the lord of the whole earth. He is the king of kings and he is the lord of lords. We believe that he, not any version of Caesar, is the Messiah. He is the Christ, the son of the living God, that salvation is found in him, not in the Republican platform or the Democratic platform, and that salvation did not come riding in on the wings of Air Force One. It came cradled in a manger."

Vice President Mike Pence addressed the Souther Baptist Convention yesterday, speaking briefly of his own personal conversion experience before going on to tout the political accomplishments of Donald Trump at length. There had been a vote to remove Pence as a speaker from the Convention the previous day-- but the motion only received about 30% support.

gettyimages-973541790_wide-2429582a75079a2e5099b4cef4427fcd1fb706dd-s800-c85.jpg

After Pence's speech, Greear tweeted:
"I know that sent a terribly mixed signal. We are grateful for civic leaders who want to speak to our Convention—but make no mistake about it, our identity is in the gospel and our unity is in the Great Commission. Commissioned missionaries, not political platforms, are what we do."

The election of Greear seems to crystallize the ascendancy of more politically moderate voices in the Southern Baptist Church; during the convention in which he was elected, resolutions were passed that called for more acceptance of immigrants, criticized the separation of families at the border and urged more generous treatment of refugees.

Greear's election comes at a tumultuous time, as leaders of several prominent Southern Baptist churches have been exposed as sexual predators, and the church's overall culture of suppressing the voices and concerns of women has been criticized.

Of the recent scandals Greear wrote:
"God is stirring in the SBC. He has exposed a startling amount of sin in our midst. He has shaken many of our foundations. And I actually think that’s good news, because whom the Lord loves, he chastens."

Greear, the youngest leader of the SBC to be elected in decades, also wrote of race relations, saying: "We need to recognize the leadership gifts of brothers and sisters of color that God has placed in our midst and embrace their leadership. This should have happened a long time ago, but in this new era we desperately need their wisdom and influence.”

Greear is pictured humorously in the middle between his described "protection"-- newly elected SBC Vice Presidents Felix Cabrera and Dr. A.B. Vines:

Dfm3lZqV4AAeU1C

https://www.christianitytoday.com/n...cted-southern-baptist-president-sbc-2018.html

Greear's message gives me hope for the Gospel in America. The Southern church has been perverted in recent decades-- and in many ways since its inception-- as it has allowed "Evangelicalism" to become a political and cultural identity rather than a genuine discipleship of Christ (this criticism is by no means limited to the Evangelicals; although, they are the most politicized of any American religious group:
http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-co...2225/FT_16.11.09_Relig_ExitPoll_ReligRace.png)

If Greear succeeds in "de-weaponizing" the Evangelical Church as a platform of the Republican party, it would be a good thing, and a potentially major shift in American electoral politics. Good luck to President Greear and Peace to All People of Goodwill.

The Republicans have abandoned the truly devout. They are no longer a value-based party. They're as focused on a need-based approach as the liberals.

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised even though I am. It was only a matter of time before a real believer stood up and objected to the unworthy leadership of Trump. He's as profligate an adulterer as Clinton is, and his true God is clearly money.

The Republicans have abandoned the truly devout. They are no longer a value-based party. They're as focused on a need-based approach as the liberals.

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised even though I am. It was only a matter of time before a real believer stood up and objected to the unworthy leadership of Trump. He's as profligate an adulterer as Clinton is, and his true God is clearly money.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

I'm not surprised. I wanted to believe you were smarter than I gave you credit for, yet sadly, it was not to be.

His message was purely political, intended to aggrandize Trump.

Back