Roger Gracie, Carlson Gracie or Gracie Barra

Hi,

Did the original poster ever try all 3 clubs? It would be good to read a review.

i dont get why people automatically assume roger is there and teaching daily. what if he is teaching one a week? some of the best teachers are sometimes not famous at all, sometimes the most famous people are terrible teachers. you would be really surprised. lagarto is legit just not as well known and is an active competitor. carlsons might be decent too but if its all tough guy meathead attitude like many carlson gyms might not be the best for beginners.

isint braulio supposed to be in england too?

Hi

New here and in need of some help

I want to start BJJ in London and I live near to Roger Gracies Academy, Carlson Gracies in Hammersmith and Gracie Barra in Knightsbridge.

Lucky you might think, but I am having trouble choosing which one to join. The main factor is cost really, and Carlsons is the cheapest where as the other 2 are just over 100 a month.

I like the idea of rogers as it is reputable, and the closest I will get to train with a real gracie family member. But I have heard Carlson is great, and so is Gracie Barra. Ive not heard much about the Knightsbridge one, but I have heard Roger actually trained at a Gracie Barra.

The other options I have are travelling further around London for a cheaper membership, some options are the other gracie academys around london such as the one at gym box, there is also the gracie academy up in watford but I have heard there is no black belts and gracie academy teaching is not as good as others. Im not saying as good but someone from Barra or rogers could beat a gracie academy quite easy.

But after travel cost to these other gyms it will end up costing the same or more than staying local.

So im guessing its out of the 3 close to me, do I go to carlsons for slightly cheaper or go to rogers or barra for slightly more.

Any help would be great
Wilson jr is pretty legendary. I trained with a guy from there, and even at blue his guard was just ridiculous. If roger is there, he will not be there all the time, FYI.

You have some good choices. I personally train at Roger Gracie Gymbox. I love it there because of the camaraderie I have with the team there.

I usually drop into Roger's HQ every now and then. It is great as well. I went to Carlsons a couple years back it was very good as well.

Personally in terms of training you cannot go wrong. RGA Gymbox is right outside farringdon station. And the reason I like it is because it includes my gym membership. So I can work out and do BJJ plus other martial arts all in one price.

PM me if you want some more tips.

Again the same advice everyone will give try them out for a week each and see which one you like more.

I will definatley avoid the gracie academy, as from what I read its not the greatest training when it comes to tournaments and producing champions.

Please do not confuse "Gracie Barra" with "The Gracie Academy." Gracie Barra is a massive organization, some great schools, some not so much. But the overall association has produced, and continues to produce black belt world champions.

I don't like the look of that to be honest. and that's a beginners class??!?:icon_sad:

Seemed like they were watching out for each other and giving each other a feel of what it would be like for unexpected attackers to be coming at them etc. Definitely more applicable than some of the self-defense stuff that some people always whine about. Kinda cool but you would have to be careful to do it without injuring each other.

"Come on guys the po-lice is coming"....hahaha that cracked me up

Seemed like they were watching out for each other and giving each other a feel of what it would be like for unexpected attackers to be coming at them etc. Definitely more applicable than some of the self-defense stuff that some people always whine about. Kinda cool but you would have to be careful to do it without injuring each other.

"Come on guys the po-lice is coming"....hahaha that cracked me up

I remember the first time we did this in one of Wilson's class

'Ok guys, take of your gi's, half on that side with belts, other half that side no belts. Fight until one team is left'

Great fun.

Hi guys, sorry to hijack the thread.

I am moving to London and am also looking for a place to train. Primarily BJJ but would also like the option of mma also.

How does Carlson's and Roger's rank against:

-Cesar Lima academy (RGA affiliate) in Gymbox Farringdon
-London Fight factory
-Fight Zone
-Diesel Gym

I am asking as I am likely to be living nearer to the 4 choices I mentioned but would be open to travelling a bit further to get better instruction.

Thanks! :)

I'd recommend LFF, I trained there a few times and loved it.

It's just a shame I live so far away, first class is free anyway so worth a go.

Back