Roger Gracie, Carlson Gracie or Gracie Barra

davetherave

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi

New here and in need of some help

I want to start BJJ in London and I live near to Roger Gracies Academy, Carlson Gracies in Hammersmith and Gracie Barra in Knightsbridge.

Lucky you might think, but I am having trouble choosing which one to join. The main factor is cost really, and Carlsons is the cheapest where as the other 2 are just over 100 a month.

I like the idea of rogers as it is reputable, and the closest I will get to train with a real gracie family member. But I have heard Carlson is great, and so is Gracie Barra. Ive not heard much about the Knightsbridge one, but I have heard Roger actually trained at a Gracie Barra.

The other options I have are travelling further around London for a cheaper membership, some options are the other gracie academys around london such as the one at gym box, there is also the gracie academy up in watford but I have heard there is no black belts and gracie academy teaching is not as good as others. Im not saying as good but someone from Barra or rogers could beat a gracie academy quite easy.

But after travel cost to these other gyms it will end up costing the same or more than staying local.

So im guessing its out of the 3 close to me, do I go to carlsons for slightly cheaper or go to rogers or barra for slightly more.

Any help would be great

Yes I know I think I am lucky to be surrounded by 3 great places, plus the other gyms if I travel.

But this is the problem, to much choice makes you spoilt and makes it difficult to choose as you become picky about small things

Gracie Barra is a huge organization, Roger trained at Gracie Barra in Rio which is a great school, but that has no bearing on the quality of the one near you. I'd personally train with Roger, he's literally the most successful BJJ competitor ever and most BJJ guys would give their left nut to train there regularly. Carlson is perfectly good, but training with Roger is a rare opportunity. It would be like having Michael Jordan coach your youth basketball team.

I'd avoid Gracie Barra like the plague. And like Uchi Mata said, Roger Gracie is like the Michael Jordan of BJJ.

Definitely avoid Gracie Barra like the plague, but definitely go train with Gracie Barra blackbelt, Roger Gracie.

Wait...

Carlsons is good, but you have to have the right attitude.

I'd personally go to Roger's if I was a beginner.

Carlsons is good, but you have to have the right attitude.

I'd personally go to Roger's if I was a beginner.

Carlsons facilities look great for the price, but Im not sure about the place.

Im not stereotyping but the bulldog logo give the impression of english street fighter/security guard bouncer type learning how to hurt people.

Im sure Im wrong and not saying that is anything like that, just the bulldogs give a certain union jack impression thats all

edit

Last edited:
Is that attitude basically nut up or shut up?

I don't think he means GB in general, just that gym. Isn't it run by a blue belt?

I think GB Knightsbridge has some great black belt teachers from what Ive researched.

Try all of them and make your decision afterwards. Bear in mind Roger is not at RGA most of the time, especially not coaching the beginner's class.

Last edited:
If BJJ is something you might take seriously, go with Roger. Not because he's a "real Gracie family member," but because he is arguably the greatest grappler of all time. I would want to know how often he actually teaches, but I cannot imagine that the level there would be anything less than top-notch regardless.

+1 for roger, people go on pilgrimage to visit his academy

in terms of price, facilities, number of black and brown belt instructors and timetable, Carlsons London is head and shoulders above any other club in the country. (no, i don't train there, but i've visited)

Carlsons facilities look great for the price, but Im not sure about the place.

Im not stereotyping but the bulldog logo give the impression of english street fighter/security guard bouncer type learning how to hurt people.

Im sure Im wrong and not saying that is anything like that, just the bulldogs give a certain union jack impression thats all

Dave,

My names Dave aswell. I am a Carlson Gracie UK team Brown belt. It was awarded to me by Wilson the head instructor there almost 3 years ago.

I run Carlson Gracie Kent Headquarters.

I have one thing to say, and please don't feel you need to reply or make a choice until you have taken onboard my advice.

Go to a Simon Hayes beginner BJJ class, they are free.

Call this number 020 8748 8855. Speak to Lee Renault or Sarah Merriner, explain that you are looking to choose between the clubs and that you've been advised to take Simons beginners class. They will get you into the class, free of charge.

Then come back and tell me what you think. I will then give you all the other amazing bits and pieces that the club has to offer, and answer any questions you may have.

Dave@Carlsons

Thanks for all the advice guys you lot are amazing, I will give all 3 a tryout to see which I feel most comfortable with. Its seems rogers place is most popular, and im not just interested cause hes a gracie family member, I am aware of all his achievements in BJJ sport.

I agree with somepoints about carlsons regarding price, facilities and what you get, and dave I will give it a try. Thank you

Its appears GB is not so popular, maybe the GB in USA and Brasil are a lot better.

I will definatley avoid the gracie academy, as from what I read its not the greatest training when it comes to tournaments and producing champions.

Back