Roger Gracie, Carlson Gracie or Gracie Barra

as i said, you can't make mulitiple videos on you tube sounding like that and then say "well im so nice in person" (not speaking to you ozzy).

1) often times it's how you say the things you want to communicate

He's talking about using Jiu-Jitsu for streetfighting/self-defense/avoiding prison rape(!). Do you expect him to sound like Mr. Rogers?

2) Rickson formed his own federation as a cash grab.

Lulz at you questioning Rickson's integrity.

There is nothing wrong with those Wilson rant videos. That guy seems cool as hell, I like his philosophy and I would enjoy training with him

I don't know him and never met him. He made a choice to put up a video online, perhaps he should of thought about the character he wanted to portray.

Honestly you guys must be watching different videos to what I've seen. Either that or there must be some vested interest in talking negatively about the club because of it's successes.

Honestly the guy likes to keep it real and is very opinionated but I wouldn't question his character or personality based on those videos. Growing up in Brazil is quite rough it's not like England or the USA. There are other videos with BJJ instructors who are even more the macho-hardcore-tough-guy type; guys like Ralph Gracie and Renzo Gracie. But you don't see them get as much flack for keeping it real.

Last edited:
Growing up in Brazil is quite rough it's not like England or the USA. There are other videos with BJJ instructors who are even more the macho-hardcore-tough-guy type; guys like Ralph Gracie and Renzo Gracie. But you don't see them get as much flack for keeping it real.

Ralph does get flack. Also, this "it's brazil" thing is nonsense, I know people who grew up in the favelas, the poorest of the poor in brazil. It's the person, not the country they grew up in.

Does Roger actually teach a lot at his gym?

Last edited:
Roger, duh!

Hey guys! I get to train boxing with Muhammad Ali, Trervor Berbick, or Michael Spinks. Ali is a little closer than the others, but he's like, 100, and the others are only 98. I'm really torn, fellas. What do you think?

Man you're lucky. I'd have to to Ali's place if I were you. I heard Layla drops in to give class, too. Tell us how you like it, and which school you choose. :icon_twis

I trained at Carlson Gracie Hammersmith for 2 weeks about 2 years ago. I enjoyed it so much that I joined a Carlson Gracie gym when I eventually moved to Los Angeles.

They were all tough as shit, I enjoyed the instruction and they have a lot of mat space. They also have some basic weights and fitness equipment, although I didn't use any of it while I was there.

EDIT: They have several showers too. IDK if you're like me but a lack of a shower is a huge red flag, so having multiple stalls was nice.

I can't speak about the personalities of the instructors or the rumors about excessive roughness, but everyone was really personable to me.

It was a pain in the ass for me to find the place the first time though. Although if you live in London, I imagine it's a lot easier for you.

Roger has the best fundamentals in the world, I would go with that or Carlson

Here you go fellas, whether you like to tough training or not this just goes to show you get out what you put in.

Wilson Junior has put in 14 years of building an Army here in the UK. This weekend 101 competitors registered to fight for Carlson Gracie Team.

The results speak for themselves. Now make up your mind where you want to train BJJ in London!

11699018_10207375278208457_2187431332962775854_o.jpg

British National Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2015 Final Results
Academies Results
British National Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2015
1 - Carlson Gracie UK - 395
2 - Gracie Barra - 199
3 - CheckMat - 182
4 - Roger Gracie Academy - 151
5 - Frontline Academy - 121
6 - CFS BJJ - 37
7 - Mario Sukata International - 35
8 - 99 Nine Nine JJ - International - 31
9 - BJJ Revolution Team - International - 30
10 - Nova Uni

Here you go fellas, whether you like to tough training or not this just goes to show you get out what you put in.

Wilson Junior has put in 14 years of building an Army here in the UK. This weekend 101 competitors registered to fight for Carlson Gracie Team.

The results speak for themselves. Now make up your mind where you want to train BJJ in London!

11699018_10207375278208457_2187431332962775854_o.jpg

British National Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2015 Final Results
Academies Results
British National Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2015
1 - Carlson Gracie UK - 395
2 - Gracie Barra - 199
3 - CheckMat - 182
4 - Roger Gracie Academy - 151
5 - Frontline Academy - 121
6 - CFS BJJ - 37
7 - Mario Sukata International - 35
8 - 99 Nine Nine JJ - International - 31
9 - BJJ Revolution Team - International - 30
10 - Nova Uni

Or another way to interpret it is that there are a larger number of better competitors in one team than another! Take your pick!

The second and third places combined would still have less points than the first. I don't think the number of competitors is a valid interpretation, no offence.

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is the contribution to the sport that Carlson's as a club has made in the UK. Among many other contributions, 2 of the 3 founding members of the UKBJJA (which pretty much everyone in the UK BJJ scene think is good for everyone who does BJJ) are Dickie and Simon, the third, Dewie Coles coming from GB (although not in London).

I knew Carlson's has always had a reputation but I never realised it was bad. I am unsure of who originally said this but one nice quote about the style of Carlson Gracie himself is, "Rickson flows like water, Carlson burns you like fire". Training hard and fighting hard doesn't mean being a meathead and I've met hardly any in Carlson's. These guys usually don't last very long as they keep getting their ass kicked by 60Kg girls from middle class London and the like :)

Carlson Gracie Team UK scored 29 Gold Medals from 98 competitors.

Last edited:
I am unsure of who originally said this but one nice quote about the style of Carlson Gracie himself is, "Rickson flows like water, Carlson burns you like fire". Training hard and fighting hard doesn't mean being a meathead and I've met hardly any in Carlson's.

And if you've ever met Carlson Gracie Jnr you'll know what a nice, happy, friendly (and tiny) chap he is - not what you'd expect from the reputation at all.

One thing no one seems to have mentioned is the contribution to the sport that Carlson's as a club has made in the UK. Among many other contributions, 2 of the 3 founding members of the UKBJJA (which pretty much everyone in the UK BJJ scene think is good for everyone who does BJJ) are Dickie and Simon, the third, Dewie Coles coming from GB (although not in London).

Good point. While I don't think I would enjoy the training environment at Carlson's on a regular basis (though I've only been there once in person, to an excellent Carlson Jr seminar, so a lot of that is based on what I've read rather than directly experienced), I've got a lot of respect for what Simon and Dickie have done with the UKBJJA: my club is a proud UKBJJA member. They're clearly passionate about upholding the integrity and credibility of UK BJJ.

Back