Roger Gracie, Carlson Gracie or Gracie Barra

Yes. I have heard funny stories about Wilson from people who met him in real life. He is a wannabe badass and a fool.

You've been poorly informed friend. Come to Carlsons and see for yourself.

This one cracked me up, is this guy for real?

[YT]at9fDFUU2qY[/YT]

Ironically, there's a video floating around of one of the guys from Carlson's playing inverted guard and scooting towards his opponent upside. He finishes the guy too with a super slick triangle, so, I don't see what the point of that video is. It worked for him!

RGA and Carlsons are both great, i dont know anything about GBK.

I don't know Wilson personally but I do know people that do and they say that is pretty much his personality.

I do agree with him to a large extent as there have been clubs I have been to where the takedowns are almost not existent and they always pull guard. Its not good for the self defense aspect of BJJ.

One thing I find surprising about watching the Carlsons competitors is that they have a very varied styles of BJJ. Some old school styles and some newer competition based styles. So I am guessing they teach everything there.

GB knightsbridge I think is lagartos place and I know Ary a brown belt and some guys who go they say it's a good place to go.

mate you really are fucking spoilt for choice in london...just consider yourself luckier than your northern counterparts who dont have as many gyms or black belts in the area

Last edited:
Don't listen to the haters Wilson is a nice and very personable guy. He's also legit a BB in both jits and luta liva esportiva.

Don't listen to the haters Wilson is a nice and very personable guy. He's also legit a BB in both jits and luta liva esportiva.

You can't blame the "haters" when you put out videos like that.

He doesn't come across well in the videos but I have heard overwhelmingly positive things about him from people who have met him in person.

Simon Hayes and Dickie Martin are two of thee other instructors and leaders of Carlson Gracie London. They come across very well in the videos, what they write and are highly liked and respected in the BJJ community in England.

The TS mentioned just 3 of the possible choices in London. The TS was spoilt for choice. There are just so many good gyms to choose from. Its not LA where there seems to be a gym on every road, but Londeners are luckier than most.

No. There's nothing wrong with the videos. He has an old school mentality. You don't have to agree with his opinion but the late Carlson Gracie and a lot of the other Gracies are similarly critical of modern sport focused jits. Rickson even formed his own organisation with different rules. Even Roger Gracie's game is quite old school and traditional.

Last edited:
The other thing is that too many posters in this thread seem to think being a great competitor makes you a great teacher. But that isn't the case. Don't go to a gym because it has a big name attached to it. Too many people are sleeping on Lagarto but he is a great teacher - very good at communicating concepts and ideas.

No. There's nothing wrong with the videos. He has an old school mentality. You don't have to agree with his opinion but the late Carlson Gracie and a lot of the other Gracies are similarly critical of modern sport focused jits. Rickson even formed his own organisation with different rules. Even Roger Gracie's game is quite old school and traditional.

1) often times it's how you say the things you want to communicate

2) Rickson formed his own federation as a cash grab.

3) there are many different styles, that is what makes jiu jitsu great, there is no one way

He doesn't come across well in the videos but I have heard overwhelmingly positive things about him from people who have met him in person.

I don't know him and never met him. He made a choice to put up a video online, perhaps he should of thought about the character he wanted to portray.

100 a month for BJJ is insane, and works to exclude poor people from the sport. Sad. I would not support a business like that.

My local boxing club recently put their prices up, from 50p per session to 75p. Regular competitors train for free, though.

I don't know him and never met him. He made a choice to put up a video online, perhaps he should of thought about the character he wanted to portray.

You now have 6666 posts. Anyway, you are right, I don't think he has portrayed himself well in the videos and I could understand if it would put people of training at Carlsons London which is a shame considering that its an excellent gym.

If I was living in London again and wasn't already training at Fight Zone London then I probably would of went to Carlsons. They must be doing something right as its a huge club with a high retention rate. I imagine that he must be nicer in person than he appears in the videos.

Back