Robert Whittaker vs. Luke Rockhold Targeted For UFC 221 In Perth, Australia (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
giphy.gif

Defending an interim title is ridiculous. GSP should forfeit if he can’t defend in a reasonable time or they should shelf Whittaker until he’s ready.

It’s a good fight but it seems like nothing more than a money grab for Perth which is the norm these days.

Very tough fight on paper for both guys. I expect a close decision win by Whittaker.
Barao did it twice.

I agree that he got lucky but it’s still a legit win. I think this is for the best because GSP can go back down to welterweight or he can retire again. He’s earned whatever he wants..

I agree it was a legit win but also think GSP was cherry-picking a weak champion. Lots of us said that before the match was made. Bisping was cherry picking a former WW champ he thought he could easily beat and GSP was cherry picking a weak MW champ and wouldn't defend even if he won. More and more it looks like that's coming to pass.

While GSP's win was big, if he tries to sit on the lineal championship like Bisping did, everyone should recognize Whitaker as more deserving.

You continue to discredit Bisping by saying he took the fight lightly. The real question is how much did you lose betting on Rockhold? Again left kick, check is all he has in striking. WOW

Discrediting Bisping isn't my intent here. My point is that Rockhold fought in a manner uncharacteristic for him considering his skillset and that gave Bisping a better chance of beating him. He still had to take that chance, and credit to him for doing it. But Rockhold isn't going to fight that way against Whittaker.

You, in repeatedly going back to his check hook and left kick are proving my point. Rockhold didn't get knocked out throwing a check hook or left kick. He was throwing a jab. Something he rarely does, so rarely you aren't referencing it as part of his arsenal, which it isn't. Because he didn't fight as he usually fights. I don't know how clearer I can make it.

Then why are they targeting a fucking fight with the interim champ?
Maybe Whittaker wants to fight in his home country and 3 months after a title fight is too soon for most champions, that's not even mentioning his illness.

Just as I said. GSP was never interested in MW. He was interested in Bisping. 1.5 years of stalling a division for nothing.

GSP skipped the queue, cost Jacare and Romero a title shot and sent Mousasi to Bellator, and for what? A manufactured title shot...

Why would he ruin the division by cutting the queue if he never intended on staying in the division. Goes to show everything he's said was a lie.

Because everyone is in it for themselves. As they should. It’s not like Jacare or Romero or Moose would ever care about whats fair if they were offered an undeserved title shot.

I’m no Rockhold fan but I feel as though many are sleeping on him. He has all the tools to be a nightmare for Whittaker. He can fight like a bigger, stronger albeit slower version of wonderboy if he wanted to with better grappling and submissions.

Discrediting Bisping isn't my intent here. My point is that Rockhold fought in a manner uncharacteristic for him considering his skillset and that gave Bisping a better chance of beating him. He still had to take that chance, and credit to him for doing it. But Rockhold isn't going to fight that way against Whittaker.

You, in repeatedly going back to his check hook and left kick are proving my point. Rockhold didn't get knocked out throwing a check hook or left kick. He was throwing a jab. Something he rarely does, so rarely you aren't referencing it as part of his arsenal, which it isn't. Because he didn't fight as he usually fights. I don't know how clearer I can make it.
Ok. That also means if he continues that same shit with more predictable left kicks and check hooks, then Whittaker will murk Rockhold easier than I thought.

If you can’t defend within a reasonable timeframe eg six months you should get stripped and then there wouldn’t be any need for any of this interim bullshit.

Luke will get eaten on the feet and Robert is a better wrestler.

EZ KO inside 4

Rockhold by grappling clinic
Jacare and Yoel couldn't hold Whittaker down but Rockhold will?

That would be pretty fucking impressive.

Rockhold has excellent jiu-jitsu but personally I don't see him getting Whittaker down and keeping him there.

Then why are they targeting a fucking fight with the interim champ?
Because the champ is dealing with a serious illness while the interim champ is returning from an injury. This isn't hard to comprehend and that also has nothing to do with GSP being stripped despite only recently winning the belt

We all knew GSP wasn't going to defend that belt. He saw Bisping as the easier of the two title fights he could have taken for his come back, and that's it. He'll vacate and look for a super fight or maybe fight Woodley.

Or it could be his serious medical condition.........

If Whittaker defended Yoel's takedowns, I'm sure as fuck he can defend Cuckhold's. And if Bisping was able to KO Luke on 2 weeks notice, I'm sure as fuck Whittaker merks him.

Jacare and Yoel couldn't hold Whittaker down but Rockhold will?

That would be pretty fucking impressive.

Rockhold has excellent jiu-jitsu but personally I don't see him getting Whittaker down and keeping him there.

If he gets Whittaker's back flat to the mat he will, Rockhold's control from the top is nutso. Weidman and Branch are legit as fuck on the ground and got owned over there. But Whittaker's defensive wrestling in open space and against the cage is so elite I doubt it ever comes to that.

Back