Robert Whittaker vs. Luke Rockhold Targeted For UFC 221 In Perth, Australia (Poll)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I really hope Whitaker. Can't stand Rockhold.

Lunging in with a jab and then backing straight up on the same line with his hands down screams the kind of arrogant "you cant hurt me" complacency Rockhold was verbalizing pre-fight. I'm not diminishing Bisping's win but I have a hard time imagining he'll be so unabashedly sloppy in the face of Whittaker's striking.
That's his terrible boxing. He always had bad boxing. Show me a fight where he throws a good jab

That's his terrible boxing. He always had bad boxing. Show me a fight where he throws a good jab

He's never been a great boxer but more importantly he's never fought like he was a great boxer, which is what he did against Bisping.

That’s obviously up to the organization because nobody stripped him. He was not stripped of the belt for failing to defend it. We all know ultimately he was not the strongest champion and it’s a good thing he no longer is. We can thank GSP for that.
GSP made the problem worse. Now an unranked WW has the MW belt. Bisping ducked guys he could actually get in the cage and compete with.....and he probably would have for a certain guaranteed purse.....

However, with GSP, we know a Rockhold or Romero fight is completely out of the question. He has no business in there with the worlds top MWs. He cant rehydrate past 193lbs. He is way too small for the MW division.....

If a fighter isnt going to fight the biggest guys in his division, he has no right to prance around with a fake belt.....

He's never been a great boxer but more importantly he's never fought like he was a great boxer, which is what he did against Bisping.
Because he said leading up to 199 that he's been boxing that whole camp. Again left kick, check hook yawn. Same shit

Just strip GSP of his phony ass belt. Fucking ridiculous that he's fighting Jacare, Romero, and Luke back to fucking back and he's considered the "Interim Champ".

Because he said leading up to 199 that he's been boxing that whole camp. Again left kick, check hook yawn. Same shit

Because he took Bisping so lightly he was willing to try and exclusively use the least developed aspect of his game to beat him. That's why he got knocked out. He doesn't ever jab, threw a terrible jab, and got countered.

What's your issue here? If you expect Rockhold to try and come after Whittaker with the hands like he did Bisping you're going to be in for a shock. I imagine he's going to be uber-cautious against a guy with a considerable hand speed and punching power advantage.

We all knew GSP wasn't going to defend that belt. He saw Bisping as the easier of the two title fights he could have taken for his come back, and that's it. He'll vacate and look for a super fight or maybe fight Woodley.

It is so sad, the UFC belt means absolutely nothing!

GSP just won the MW belt a month ago. I'd hardly say it is stagnant.

What I find even more nuts is this fight even being discussed. Let's say it does happen, then whoever wins will be out for a while. Minimum four months usually six. If an injury happens even more. Now you have the Champion waiting if he does decide to defend or a title fight waiting if he vacates.

Either way this is just too soon after ANY Champion just gets the title. GSP said he needed a "bit" of time to see what's going on with his illness. Give the guy a month or two to see what's going on. Then a real title fight could be made, with or without him.

This is the New UFC being impatient and going for the " what fight can we make now" attitude. All its done is lead to more interm belts, then we find out a Champ can fight right after. Stalling divisions even more and stupid matchmaking sometimes .. Trying to make Nate vs Woodley!!

The fight between Rockhold and Whittaker would be great. It's just a BS move, for Whittaker and GSP.
Not ragging on the guy, because I'm a fan, but GSP hasn't been part of the MW division, so him winning it still held up the division of people waiting for their shot. I'll give him time to get things straight, but who knows what really will happen. My guess is 6 months until we find out. He still has to understand his problems and digestion problems are life changers. Also, the division has been held up for a year now with Bisping's previous bullshit title defense against dan henderson which also held up the division. It's a weird pattern that top contenders aren't getting their rightful shot at being the undisputed champion.

Best match-up at MW and Whitaker's toughest test. He should be the favorite because of his hands and Luke's poor boxing defense, but if he can't capitalize Luke's the better kicker and the better grappler.

Great fight!

I don't know who i should pick...

Luke's boxing defense isn't that great....
But on top...he is a nightmare for everybody at 185

Because he took Bisping so lightly he was willing to try and exclusively use the least developed aspect of his game to beat him. That's why he got knocked out. He doesn't ever jab, threw a terrible jab, and got countered.

What's your issue here? If you expect Rockhold to try and come after Whittaker with the hands like he did Bisping you're going to be in for a shock. I imagine he's going to be uber-cautious against a guy with a considerable hand speed and punching power advantage.
You continue to discredit Bisping by saying he took the fight lightly. The real question is how much did you lose betting on Rockhold? Again left kick, check is all he has in striking. WOW

Back