Robbie Lawler's career/legacy

Hughes, GSP, Shields, Twood and maybe Lawler?

I'd say it isn't that easy.... I'd say it is easy to argue Hendricks > Lawler.
Lawler had a MUCH longer career with MORE big name victories at multiple weight classes.

Hendricks was a flash in the pan that died out as soon as usada hit.

Lawler has a much greater legacy. Hendricks was good when he was good, but legacy wise he didn’t have the longevity.

(Or the right color piss to keep fighting at that level)

Roidie Lawler is one of my fave fighters ever.

USADA Lawler is too but not nearly as fun.

Journey man badass who had a career ressurgance and won the ultimate prize. Similar to Bisping. Arguably more shocking as Bisping was always floating around top 10. Just Bleed God.
All that, except that he was better than Bisping in every way and more deserving that Bisping in ever way. And people actually like him. So, yeah, better than Bisping.........in every fucking way.

I think Rory was done, I think his body quit on him. His face and nose were smashed to pieces and he said he was having a hard time seeing, going temporarily blind when he was being hit.

The way he got manhandled and turtled up against Gerard is more embarrassing. Guy went out on his shield against Lawler, zero to be ashamed of there.
He looked like he wasn’t even there for the Mouse fight.

I was in disbelief watching it. Thinking “this is the Rory that went to war with lawler??”

He was there for a paycheck, already thinking about the Fitch fight coming up, and that’s all he was talking about in interviews a lot of times right before the moose fight.

His legacy is violence. We couldn't ask for anything more. War Robbie.

ALL TIME PEOPLE'S CHAMP

Mixed martial arts

Most badass entertaining WE champ. Respect

Sobral was a fucking monster in his prime, another one with ups and downs that couldn’t get his career traction going the right way.

Absolute beast on the ground and tried some lazy ass stand up with Chuck?

Sobral is a much bigger fighter also, spanning most of his career at LHW.

That is not a loss for a natural WW to be ashamed of.

He beat Horn,Trevor Pragley and SHOGUN on the SAME night

Took Fedor to a decision at HW and was the Strikeforce LHW champion for a short time.

That’s not a bad loss
Let me repeat " important operative " words.Robbie lost to a past his prime babalu (significant past at that) and its a bad loss if someone is calling Lawler "elite" during this period. Lawler was never " elite " until he returned to ufc and evolved his training an enormous deal under ATT.

He's probably going to stay a top 5 all time WW for a while.

Let me repeat " important operative " words.Robbie lost to a past his prime babalu (significant past at that) and its a bad loss if someone is calling Lawler "elite" during this period. Lawler was never " elite " until he returned to ufc and evolved his training an enormous deal under ATT.

There were small periods of time when he was elite at MW but he's much better at WW fighting guys his own size instead of fighting guy 15lbs bigger than he is.

There were small periods of time when he was elite at MW but he's much better at WW fighting guys his own size instead of fighting guy 15lbs bigger than he is.
Listen, I love Robbie and generally support fighters who fight like Robbie but when someone comes on calls him an elite fighter for his entire 17-18 years ...... I mean, just no. What was his record before his return to ufc ? 19-10 (something like that if not exact) what other titles did he hold ?
There are a handful of fighters that have been fighting a dozen years plus and were considered elite(during most of their entirety).Robbie wasn't one of them. I wish he had moved from his people in middle America alot sooner, then it could've been a debate.

Listen, I love Robbie and generally support fighters who fight like Robbie but when someone comes on calls him an elite fighter for his entire 17-18 years ...... I mean, just no. What was his record before his return to ufc ? 19-10 (something like that if not exact) what other titles did he hold ?
There are a handful of fighters that have been fighting a dozen years plus and were considered elite(during most of their entirety).Robbie wasn't one of them. I wish he had moved from his people in middle America alot sooner, then it could've been a debate.

No one said that. I had to re-read the OP because I didn't see that the first time and it's still not there.

Lawler was a good MW that had small periods of time where he was elite at that weight but he will be known for his WW fights not when he was training with random nobodies and fighting 15lbs higher than he should.

Hughes, GSP, Shields, Twood and maybe Lawler?

I'd say it isn't that easy.... I'd say it is easy to argue Hendricks > Lawler.

Hendricks best wins at WW:

Lawler
Condit
Fitch

Shields best wins at WW:

Woodley (And this is far from the Woodley we see today, mind you)
Lawler

Lawler best wins at WW:

Hendricks
Rory
Condit
Rory

Lawler is also the only one out of the three to win WW belt and defend it

Last edited:

Lawler
Condit
Fitch

Shields best wins at WW:

Woodley
Lawler

Lawler best wins at WW:

Hendricks
Rory
Condit
Rory

giphy.gif

Lawler
Condit
Fitch

Shields best wins at WW:

Woodley
Lawler

Lawler best wins at WW:

Hendricks
Rory
Condit
Rory

No Maia shows bias against Shields. Maia schooled the fuck out of the same Condit that fought Lawler..... Condit also got robbed....robbed of that title against Lawler. One of a he shittiest title fight decisions I've ever seen.

Also..... Shields also has a win over Condit....

No Maia shows bias against Shields. Maia schooled the fuck out of the same Condit that fought Lawler..... Condit also got robbed....robbed of that title against Lawler. One of a he shittiest title fight decisions I've ever seen.

Fuck I misstyped, It was supposed to be Woodley and Maia under Shields' best wins at WW, not Woodley and Lawler (Lawler fight was at MW), so yeah there ya go, big difference

If we go deeper into who got robbed and which fights were close and shit like that the discussion would never end, Shields' 3 out of 4 wins in his UFC run was split lol, so lets just avoid all that BS

No one said that. I had to re-read the OP because I didn't see that the first time and it's still not there.

Lawler was a good MW that had small periods of time where he was elite at that weight but he will be known for his WW fights not when he was training with random nobodies and fighting 15lbs higher than he should.
To be fair, I'll re-read.Lol- it wouldn't be the first time I jumped to conclusions after speed reading a particular post.

Great fighter. Nobody saw him coming back to the UFC and capturing the UFC gold, yet alone defend it. Not only that but he beat both Hendricks and Rory who were considered to be at the peak of their careers. All three guys were monsters in the division.

Back