Robbie Lawler's career/legacy

Still baffles me that he beat Rory. Rory was so clearly the better fighter to me before, during and after the fight and yet, Lawler found a way
lmao that moment rory fell to the ground clutching his nose was one of the funniest things i ever seen, he was legit cowering back covering his nose saying 'please sir, no more'.

that was a real 'lowlight' moment for rory, it was worse than moose beating the piss out of him.

Yea, but during Lawler’s resurgence, he earned his title shots and beat some of the best guys in the division.
He was a man about being champ, and did his duty facing top contenders.

Bisping lost to all the best guys in the division, and didn’t earn his title shot.
After catching Rockhold with his pants down, he avoided top contenders.
really? giving anderson a beatdown wasnt good enough? anderson was his third win in a row.

lmao that moment rory fell to the ground clutching his nose was one of the funniest things i ever seen, he was legit cowering back covering his nose saying 'please sir, no more'.

that was a real 'lowlight' moment for rory, it was worse than moose beating the piss out of him.
I don't see it that way. It was a devastating fight

IIRC back in the "day" at Miletich camp nobody wanted to spar with him, he had only one speed and was unintentionally damaging his sparring partners.

I would go top 10.

GSP
Hughes
Gracie
Woodley
Millitech
Lawler
Condit
Shields
Sakurai
Diaz
Hendricks (cough)

no particular order, but it is easy to forget about how good Gracie, Militech were, and Silva fought at 170 for a bit.
You left out Newton, who Beat Hughes (that’s the most fucked up fight call in history) AND Militich

It's hard to fathom that in exactly 4 months it will be 18 years since Robbie Lawler made his prefessional debut. With the amount of wars he has been through I can't believe he has stayed at an elite level for so long. It's sad we never got to see GSP vs Lawler but how do you think his career and legacy will hold up in the decades to come?

We need to make an alteration or 2 on this." Elite level" only encompassed Robbie career when he came back to ufc under the tutelage of ATT.I give him enormous credit for turning his career around and reaching the height of UFC champion .However, this was only a handful of years.Before his return, Lawler was exchanging wins and losses with guys like a past his prime babalu (which he actually lost to).

As far his style is concerned , hes ALWAYS has been a fighters fighter and always ALWAYS came to fight..... hard not to root for a guy like that.

Long career with ups and downs, was finally gifted the belt by the Just Bleed God(not saying he didn’t earn it, just the Just Bleed God have him the power to go on a little longer) for his service to the God and his fans.

It’s a shame Robbie wasted so much time at MW, if Hughes had not been WW champ Robbie would have come in at 70, how different his career might have gone if fucking BIG john didn’t have that jackass call when Newton chocked Hughes our.

We need to make an alteration or 2 on this." Elite level" only encompassed Robbie career when he came back to ufc under the tutelage of ATT.I give him enormous credit for turning his career around and reaching the height of UFC champion .However, this was only a handful of years.Before his return, Lawler was exchanging wins and losses with guys like a past his prime babalu (which he actually lost to).

As far his style is concerned , hes ALWAYS has been a fighters fighter and always ALWAYS came to fight..... hard not to root for a guy like that.
Sobral was a fucking monster in his prime, another one with ups and downs that couldn’t get his career traction going the right way.

Absolute beast on the ground and tried some lazy ass stand up with Chuck?

Sobral is a much bigger fighter also, spanning most of his career at LHW.

That is not a loss for a natural WW to be ashamed of.

He beat Horn,Trevor Pragley and SHOGUN on the SAME night

Took Fedor to a decision at HW and was the Strikeforce LHW champion for a short time.

That’s not a bad loss

how do you think his career and legacy will hold up in the decades to come?
giphy.gif

Robbie%2BLawler%2BStares%2BDown%2BJohny%2BHendricks%2BAfter%2Bthe%2BBell%2B-%2BUFC%2B181.gif

giphy.gif

lawler.gif

giphy.gif

I don't see it that way. It was a devastating fight

Yeah I respect both fighters and wish Rory hadn't of been so tough and quit earlier.
That fight makes for uncomfortable viewing because Rory is still suffering the consequences.

Remember not too long ago when folks were all over Till's nutsack? One of the most hilarious phases ever.

And we actually have a legit dude who beat freaking Rory MacDonald. +1 for thread.

One of my favorites of all time. I loved him back in the day even when I never thought he would become UFC Champ. His style was just so pleasing. When he actually won the Title I thought it was a dream world. Good for him though, he deserves it.

Robbie is a fucking beast, a true brawler, hard as nails.

His career has been solid if not particularly extraordinary, and he's one of the rare few fighters that I rank highly NOT so much because of his wins, but because of his heart and what you get from his fights. Robbie has a serious set of balls on him and a heart to match. He is the epitome of a professional fighter.

Proper MMA legend.

So what don’t/do you see if not what I said??
I think Rory was done, I think his body quit on him. His face and nose were smashed to pieces and he said he was having a hard time seeing, going temporarily blind when he was being hit.

The way he got manhandled and turtled up against Gerard is more embarrassing. Guy went out on his shield against Lawler, zero to be ashamed of there.

Back