Rizin: Fights to Make for April Event

RENA vs. Rin wouldn't be fair matchmaking for RENA.

RENA usually fights at 105 or 115 lbs. Rin now fights at 125 lbs. and she used to fight at 135 lbs.

I'm sure Rin wouldn't be able to make 115 lbs. with her frame either.

US promotions have most of the better than Kawajiri 145'ers locked up. Maybe Kron vs Hioki? Otherwise they need to bring in a Russian, or a Steven Siler type.

Well, i thought about that because she occasionally (more like rarely) fights people that are not cans... Like when she fought Hisae Watanabe, Sachiko Yamamoto and Fukuko Hamada (on those last two, they were both with a good cartel at the time). It could be possible... But checking her career, i can see that she's quite envolved with DEEP and i don't think DEEP has good relations with RIZIN...
Rizin's strongest partner is Deep FC. They gave Moyota (co-main/main eventer), Wada (125 champ), and Kitaoka (155 champ) among others to Rizin for the event. Deep FC Owner Saeki and Pancrase Owner Sakai even rented out the Saitama Super Arena in 2014, so Rizin could use the arena for MMA on NYE in the future.

What sort of bouts do you see Rizin booking for their April event? With Jerome Le Banner and Marie Gabert making appearances you know they are more than likely have opponents lined up.

For starters this is what I have off the top of my head:

Gabi Garcia vs. Jazzy Alpha Female (as advertised)

Jerome Le Banner vs. Heath Herring (two combat favs in Japan)

Amir Alliakbari vs. Shane Carwin (match that should have happened on NYE)

Tenshin Nasukawa vs. Joe Warren (the best thing last two Rizin events vs. the worst)

Baruto vs. Alexander Lungru (how does Baruto handle someone his own size?)

Rena vs. Rin Nakai

Shinya Aoki vs. Kron Gracie

Notable omissions:

Cro Cop (injured)

Wanderlei Silva (injured and/or starting contract with Bellator in May)

What do you have?

I think you did pretty good

US promotions have most of the better than Kawajiri 145'ers locked up. Maybe Kron vs Hioki? Otherwise they need to bring in a Russian, or a Steven Siler type.
I like the kron x hioki fight. Either that or put a fw grand prix

Gabi Garcia vs. Jazzy Alpha Female (as advertised)

Gabert confirmed that the fight will definitely not be in April. They are targeting July or August, but nothing is set yet.

She also confirmed that she will be "performing" at the April event, but didnt say in what capacity. Could be anything from doing some promotion to fighting. With the way they set things up on NYE, its plausible that there could be a #1 contender fight between Kandori and Gabert to fight Garcia.

Rizin's strongest partner is Deep FC. They gave Moyota (co-main/main eventer), Wada (125 champ), and Kitaoka (155 champ) among others to Rizin for the event. Deep FC Owner Saeki and Pancrase Owner Sakai even rented out the Saitama Super Arena in 2014, so Rizin could use the arena for MMA on NYE in the future.
Wow. Didnt knew the part of the arena and didn't realized that so many fighters from DEEP fought at RIZIN... Well, then i can trully say that Shinashi may be envolved in the future with them...

Gabert confirmed that the fight will definitely not be in April. They are targeting July or August, but nothing is set yet.

She also confirmed that she will be "performing" at the April event, but didnt say in what capacity. Could be anything from doing some promotion to fighting. With the way they set things up on NYE, its plausible that there could be a #1 contender fight between Kandori and Gabert to fight Garcia.

Ah ok. I wasn't aware of when they were targeting the fight. I figured April because of the ruckus in the ring.

Gabert has a lot to work on as far as technique and conditioning goes based on her first MMA fight. Kandori really must want to fight or Rizin is trying to get more mileage out of her advertised appearance by putting her in with Jazzy Alpha Female.

RENA vs. Rin wouldn't be fair matchmaking for RENA.

RENA usually fights at 105 or 115 lbs. Rin now fights at 125 lbs. and she used to fight at 135 lbs.

I'm sure Rin wouldn't be able to make 115 lbs. with her frame either.

At what point do they test her Bushido spirit? She is Japanese and eventually this will happen?

Rin Nakai fights at 2 weight classes higher than Rena, that fight won't happen.

Definitely don't think Nasukawa vs Warren would be good. Nasukawa is still extremely early in his mma training/skills, Warren would just wrestlefuck him to oblivion. No need to put a dent on such an amazing prospect, they've done enough of that to poor Arsen.

Last edited:
Ah ok. I wasn't aware of when they were targeting the fight. I figured April because of the ruckus in the ring.

Gabert has a lot to work on as far as technique and conditioning goes based on her first MMA fight. Kandori really must want to fight or Rizin is trying to get more mileage out of her advertised appearance by putting her in with Jazzy Alpha Female.

I just thought of another, worse, possibility. Gabert could be referring to a pro wrestling performance with her announcement for April. I could definitely see them decide who was gonna face Garcia between her and Kandori, and then let them act out the fight during the Yokohama event.

And yeah Gabi will smash Gabert. I understand people are rooting for Gabi to lose because everyone wants to see her fail, and everyone is throwing some bullshit names around as the "secret weapon" against her, but realistically there is absolutely no one among them that comes close to Garcia's combat sports accolades. Not the resident chubster at your boxing gym, not the tin can belt "world kickboxing champ" auditioning for the WWE.

Rin Nakai fights at 2 weight classes higher than Rena, that fight won't happen.

Definitely don't think Nasukawa vs Warren would be good. Nasukawa is still extremely early in his mma training/skills, Warren would just wrestlefuck him to oblivion. No need to put a dent on such an amazing prospect, they've done enough of that to poor Arsen.

That may seem logical in the West, but they do things differently in Japan. Wins and losses are not important, but the showing and rising up to the challenge.

The Rizin rules and ring are not exactly conducive to keeping a fighter on their back unless you are doing damage and/or advancing position.

Eventually the show case fights are going to have to stop and these fighters are going to have to see a greater challenge. If they lose, it's not going to kill them off -- especially an 18 year old.

That may seem logical in the West, but they do things differently in Japan. Wins and losses are not important, but the showing and rising up to the challenge.

The Rizin rules and ring are not exactly conducive to keeping a fighter on their back unless you are doing damage and/or advancing position.

Eventually the show case fights are going to have to stop and these fighters are going to have to see a greater challenge. If they lose, it's not going to kill them off -- especially an 18 year old.

They know Rena is marketable and has a bright future, they aren't going to throw her in extremely unwinnable matches. They would have did that already like they did to Arsen, they are definitely building her up slowly as they should.

Yea Rizin rules are different but Warren will easily be able to plant Nasukawa on his ass any time they stand him up and he honestly might submit him depending on where his bjj skills are at. I can easily see Warren getting mount and Nasukawa exposing his back and getting RNC by him.

Woah people even mentioning Warren vs Tenshin....

If Warren fights there make him go against Tokoro or move back up to 145 against Kron/Kawajiri. A lot of the English fans want to see him beat.

I hope they keep prospects like Moldavsky, Nemkov and Gracie active.

MAIN CARD
Kron Gracie vs Shinya Aoki
Jiri Prochazka vs Tsuyoshi Kosaka
Rena Kubota vs Saori Ishioka
Baruto vs Alexandru Lungu
Hideo Tokoro vs Tatsuya Kawajiri

PRELIMINARY CARD
Daron Cruischank vs Krazy Horse
Erson Yamamoto vs Dong Soo Seo (1-4)
Gabi Garcia vs Alpha Female
Vadim Nemkov vs Chris Barnett
Kanako Murata vs Satomi Takano