Remember when people said a jab wouldnt work in mma?

mma "experts" saying the jab didn't work in mma is true. It was years ago which is why many of you don't remember.
Dont blame them they are up late and have 6th grade class tomorrow

Lead overhands and rear leg side kicks (unpredictability factor is high but probably leaves you susceptible to TDs) are hardly ever used. Step-up knees and crosses to the body could be used a whole lot more too. In grappling I'd like to see another attempt at a Helicopter armbar (Jaochim Hansen tried one back in the day) also there's a sweep Carlos Newton did back in the day to an opponent that was trying to pass his guard in a standing position and Newton rolled backwards and mounted him, I don't know what it's called though. Oh and here's a helicopter armbar in case you were wondering.

Jabs were being used before GSP Koscheck.

Who the fuck ever said that? Are you sure anyone ever even said that?

The biggest frontrunner of this idea was actually Bas Rutten. If you check out his instructionals from I guess late 90´s to early 2000 (big book of combat, big DVD of combat etc) he often mentions that the jab wouldn't work in MMA. His argument at that time was that every strike needs to be a knockout-potential blow(probably because at the time strikers tended to end up on the bottom against wrestlers since TDD wasn't all that developed).

Back in the 90s, many fighters didn't believe much in the upkick while laying on your back until Renzo KO'd (his only KO ever) Taktarov and Bustamante took out Bohlander.

I would like to see more spinning techniques. Very unorthodox and not many people train to defend against spinning techniques.

anybody that ever said that is a moron nobody took seriously

the jab should be the start and finish of every combination because its so useful at putting your opponent where you want them

People say all kinda shit

<Fedor23>

<{hughesimpress}>

Lead overhands and rear leg side kicks (unpredictability factor is high but probably leaves you susceptible to TDs) are hardly ever used. Step-up knees and crosses to the body could be used a whole lot more too. In grappling I'd like to see another attempt at a Helicopter armbar (Jaochim Hansen tried one back in the day) also there's a sweep Carlos Newton did back in the day to an opponent that was trying to pass his guard in a standing position and Newton rolled backwards and mounted him, I don't know what it's called though. Oh and here's a helicopter armbar in case you were wondering.

"Elite MMA Technique" ...

Uses sleeve grabs.

<36>

I dont remember anyone ever saying that

The standing elbow. To muyvthai is like the jab to boxing.
Whilst I agree with what you're saying...this part is fucking nonsense.
If anything, the teep is to Muay Thai, what the jab is to boxing. It's a range finder that's designed to setup everything else.

The lead sidekick is outrageously underused.
TiredElasticIchidna.gif

tumblr_neqnm4QrvB1tugoyjo1_500.gif

Back in the days of NHB people said this, and to a large extent they were correct- but for the wrong reasons. The reasons used for jabs/kicks/striking in general "not being effective" was that the techniques were flawed, even though some people argued against them, they were the minority.

The reason they weren't effective was because the chances of you having good striking and staying off your back were slim. Also, if you had good grappling, the chances of you having a good jab were just as bad. It wasn't until after time limits, weight classes and the well-rounded fighter came into being that we saw these techniques being used effectively.

Yes, I remember the dark ages.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying...this part is fucking nonsense.
If anything, the teep is to Muay Thai, what the jab is to boxing. It's a range finder that's designed to setup everything else.

The lead sidekick is outrageously underused.
TiredElasticIchidna.gif

tumblr_neqnm4QrvB1tugoyjo1_500.gif
Sick KO. Name of fighters? Want to find the vid lol

Sick KO. Name of fighters? Want to find the vid lol
Second one was Louis Smolka. Not sure on the first. I used to do Hop Ga when I was younger but my teacher did Sanshou classes on Saturday (now it's primarily an MMA gym) and he did so much on the lead sidekick - still does. That shit fucks people up in MMA fights.

Second one was Louis Smolka. Not sure on the first. I used to do Hop Ga when I was younger but my teacher did Sanshou classes on Saturday (now it's primarily an MMA gym) and he did so much on the lead sidekick - still does. That shit fucks people up in MMA fights.

Yea the first one, that's ok.
Lead sidekick is a killer. Was never a fan until I got hit by one.

and boxers will be taken down and beat down,
like Ronda vs Holly Holm,
Joe Rogan thought that Holly Holm had no business to be in the cage with Ronda before the fight

Who the fuck ever said that? Are you sure anyone ever even said that?

I don't believe anybody ever said that

Who was saying that? I remember people saying that spinning shit didn't work. But teh jab bro?

As others are saying, I don't recall anyone ever saying that.

I remember some idiots saying head movement doesn't work, but i never heard people say the jab didn't work

lol no one ever said that you liar

anybody that ever said that is a moron nobody took seriously

the jab should be the start and finish of every combination because its so useful at putting your opponent where you want them

I dont remember anyone ever saying that

Yeah, it was a real thing around the same time people thought high kicks didn't work in MMA. Bas Rutten was the biggest fighter that comes to mind. GSP working with Roach was a big eye opener for a lot of people.

The most interesting change in perception to me was that fighters thought that the most successful boxing style in MMA would be a hunched over Frazier/Tyson style fighter because they'd be in position to sprawl easily, but then people like Frankie Edgar started rising to the top with more traditional upright boxing stances and footwork, evading grapplers.

The game has changed and changed again.

Yeah, it was a real thing around the same time people thought high kicks didn't work in MMA. Bas Rutten was the biggest fighter that comes to mind. GSP working with Roach was a big eye opener for a lot of people.

The most interesting change in perception to me was that fighters thought that the most successful boxing style in MMA would be a hunched over Frazier/Tyson style fighter because they'd be in position to sprawl easily, but then people like Frankie Edgar started rising to the top with more traditional upright boxing stances and footwork, evading grapplers.

The game has changed and changed again.
when the fuck did people say high kicks wouldnt work?

Im calling shenanigans on either happening

Back