Remember when people said a jab wouldnt work in mma?

"Elite MMA Technique" ...

Uses sleeve grabs.

<36>
WOW! You're that special kind of idiot aren't you. You do realize almost all Judo, BJJ and Sambo techniques are modified to work in No-Gi situations right? Here's proof of that particular one for you ass-clown

WOW! You're that special kind of idiot aren't you. You do realize almost all Judo, BJJ and Sambo techniques are modified to work in No-Gi situations right? Here's proof of that particular one for you ass-clown

The original video is clearly labeled 'elite MMA technique'.

If they're going to market that as an MMA technique, don't us the gi. Show wrist grabs or whatever works without the gi.

Not exactly sure why you're so upset but Sherdog gonna Sherdog, I guess.

Beautiful move in your vid.

The original video is clearly labeled 'elite MMA technique'.

If they're going to market that as an MMA technique, don't us the gi. Show wrist grabs or whatever works without the gi.

Not exactly sure why you're so upset but Sherdog gonna Sherdog, I guess.

Beautiful move in your vid.
It was common sense and people that can't use common sense annoy me because it's a form of laziness or stupidity. If you read the post properly I also said that Jaochim Hansen had attempted one, that attempt was in an MMA fight (No-Gi)

Those are just people who never got hit with a jab. A good jab changes everything. It makes or breaks a fighter.

I remember back in the day people here would say the jab wouldnt work in mma because of takedowns/kicks or whatever stupid excuse mma die hards had to defend their infantile sport

Then gsp uses a jab vs koscheck and its like people are seeing jesus walk on water and cant believe it.

Same with karate. It was a joke and then machida came and now everyone is all about doin that ryu.

Also, standing elbows are ubderutilized. People have plenty of excuses why they dont use them but there is no excuse.

The standing elbow. To muyvthai is like the jab to boxing. It ia barely used for stupid reasons and then one day everyone will start using them.

What other techniques is mma stuck in the mud in?

Jab doesn't work in mma nearly as much. In fact, I can name 2,000 examples of mma fights where jab was ineffective and/or pointless in the outcome and just a few where it worked well. Now go eat your dinner early

Yeah, it was a real thing around the same time people thought high kicks didn't work in MMA. Bas Rutten was the biggest fighter that comes to mind. GSP working with Roach was a big eye opener for a lot of people.

The most interesting change in perception to me was that fighters thought that the most successful boxing style in MMA would be a hunched over Frazier/Tyson style fighter because they'd be in position to sprawl easily, but then people like Frankie Edgar started rising to the top with more traditional upright boxing stances and footwork, evading grapplers.

The game has changed and changed again.
You've got the Bas bit slightly wrong. It was around the time of the Randleman fight where he said, "you should only throw high kicks against a wrestler" What he meant by that is that leg kicks and body kicks have a higher risk of being countered with a take down, where as high kicks have less likelihood of that happening.

Then gsp uses a jab vs koscheck and its like people are seeing jesus walk on water and cant believe it.

GSP knew the Jab was effective because BJ Penn busted his nose with it when he was still Karate GSP.

I was an early MMA fan with a boxing background so I do remember that it was underappreciated and nobody really used it effectively. Maybe because nobody had really developed it yet. MMA was made up of BJJ, Wrestlers, MT and Karate guys early on. Nobody had a decent jab.

An early example of the jab dismantling a top MMA fighter that comes to mind was the first Chuck vs Randy fight. Randy basically destroyed Chuck's timing with the jab. Chuck was ready for it in the rematch, but in that first fight, Chuck ate a bunch of Randy's jabs.

Who the fuck ever said that? Are you sure anyone ever even said that?
I'm pretty sure Bas Rutten said that*. It was kind of conventional wisdom at one point.

*I'm not 100% sure on that, it's been a while. But I think I remember him basically saying that.

You've got the Bas bit slightly wrong. It was around the time of the Randleman fight where he said, "you should only throw high kicks against a wrestler" What he meant by that is that leg kicks and body kicks have a higher risk of being countered with a take down, where as high kicks have less likelihood of that happening.

that was the prevailing wisdom on high kicks at the time. in his instructionals Bas talks about why jabs aren't the best weapon in MMA and that was also a pretty common sentiment. circa 2003 my boxing coach told me to end every exchange with a jab to discourage the guy from coming in and my MMA coach told me to never do that because it was just an opening to get double legged. i heard that repeated for many years, tbh. pretty much until GSP started working with Roach

Back