Rampage admits Jones knee kicks messed up his knees

Every one is using those kicks now, especially Jackson's fighters. Reem never threw those kicks until he trained at Jacksons. Now he throws them as well. I blame Greg Jackson.

That's what happens when an undersized heavyweight beats an oversized middleweight. Tis normal.

All techniques many years old. Gordeau was taking out eyes and Joe Son was smashed in the balls back in the day. And 'supposed'?? He is aiming them at the knee. It's like me kicking my opponents in the balls and claiming that it's ok as I meant to hit the thigh. This whole thread is full of terrible arguments.

You are talking about bad arguments while comparing eye gouging and ball punching to an oblique kick that is designed to stop your opponents forward momentum.

Knee teeps are such a sissy, yet dangerous technique they're banned by WKA. You rarely get TKO's with them (which is the goal in striking, not inflicting permanent ligament damage), but the damage can show afterwards.

You just be a doctor.

That not true at all, one hits the front of the knee causing it to bend backwards. The other hits the side of the knee. It can cause injury but you can't really compare them. Lowkicks are usually not aimed at the knee as it is more effective on the thighs. That should tell you something.

Well, there you go. WKA knows their shit.

And finally the comparison to the heel hook is really dumb. If you are hooked, tap and let go you're fine. If you want to make the stupid comparison, make it like it's meant to be, and don't relate it some psycho (Paul Harris) who loves messing up people.

The WKA? Who gives a shit about the WKA?

Shit is legal in full rules Muay Thai in Thailand. Shit is also legal in MMA. You guys want to whine about it? Go contact your local athletic commission or senator.

Name some careers ended by this kick.

You are talking about bad arguments while comparing eye gouging and ball punching to an oblique kick that is designed to stop your opponents forward momentum.
You're missing the point. Your argument is that it's an old technique. That is totally irrelevant. I'm naming these examples because they are old and my point is that old doesn't mean anything.

Not a fan of the oblique kick.

Controversial topic. People get super aggro about this, not sure why.

It's a great technique. Learn to counter it, just like any other technique.

He had surgery right after the Jones fights and attributes it to the damage Jones did. On his reality show they showed him going through surgery and rehab. What motivation would he have to lie?

The WKA? Who gives a shit about the WKA?

Shit is legal in full rules Muay Thai in Thailand. Shit is also legal in MMA. You guys want to whine about it? Go contact your local athletic commission or senator.

Name some careers ended by this kick.

I never knew careers had the be ended before techniques are rendered illegal. You don't need to experience it to know that bending your knee backwards is not the nicest thing to happen. Submissions are partially based on unnatural bending of joints, and at least you can tap before that happens.

Knees are already subject of many heavy injuries. This kick is not meant for TKO's, it is for distance control. I don't think it is worth the potential downside of tearing the ACL.

This all stems from Jon Jones hate because he is the one that brought oblique kicks into the light. Its an old technique, probably hundreds of years old but Jones brought it out and made it a major part of his toolbox where other fighters either never threw it or only occasionally threw it. It also pretty funny how people think that the kick is designed to strike the knee, people always saying Jones kicks knees. He doesn't. That kick is supposed to land on the thigh just above the knee.

Anyhow, yea, this is just a simple case of fuck you Jon Jones, we'll change the rules.

What does it matter where it's "supposed to land" you idiot. It hyperextends the knee and thus, cripples fighters.

It's hard to blame a fighter for using an effective move, but JBJ is famous for being a dirty fighter. Eyepokes, this and him tearing Glover's shoulder out of it's socket.

Joint locks are also harmful to your joints, but unlike with these kicks, you can tap out to them.

The difference between brain trauma as a result of punches to the head and what Jones did to Rampage is that getting knocked out won't cripple you for the rest of your career like Jones did to him. His knee is shot and hurt him in many fights way after his fight against Jones and it certainly hurt his training. A KO won't cause you niggling injuries that prevent you from fighting effectively years after the fact.

For all of those tools that can't seem to grasp why oblique kicks are controversial: why not legalize eyepokes, small joint manipulation and groin strikes? They're effective aren't they? It's hypocritical for fighters to cause brain damage to others and the complain over problems with their eyesight as a result of eye pokes. (ignoring that for Jon Jones, eyepokes are basically legal anyway, at least once in every fight he's in)

The reason for the banning of those moves is the same rationale behind banning oblique kicks.

You're missing the point. Your argument is that it's an old technique. That is totally irrelevant. I'm naming these examples because they are old and my point is that old doesn't mean anything.

That isn't my point, not even remotely. In my original post I could say that Jon Jones is the guy that brought the oblique kick into full use in MMA because it would cause arguments. Sherdoger's argue over the minuscule. So instead, I prefaced it by saying that the oblique kick is an old technique. My argument is that it appears to be no more dangerous than any of the other legal techniques at play and in fact has not caused any injuries in the UFC.

I understand why the CSAC or other athletic commissions banned knees to the head of a downed opponent or soccer kicks to the head, or curb stomps, because they are not a danger of injury, they are a danger of DEATH. When Mark Coleman north/south kneed Allen Goes at Pride 13 I literally though he was going to paralyze or kill him. I can't find a gif of that but here is another example of Coleman's handiwork when he fought Igor. That shit should not be legal, someone is going to get paralyzed or killed.

In the case of oblique kicks to stave off an advancing opponent, I get none of the consternation that curb stomping and soccer kicking, and knee'ing the head of a downed opponent brings.

You guys know they can fix torn ligaments right? Brain damage is another story.

Rampage just admitted on his new reality show that Jon Jones knee kicks fvked up his knees from their fight. So apparently its ok to potentially mess up someone knee with a fast side kick but a slowly applied heel hook is a 'deadly technique'.:eek:

Amazing all the hypocrisy coming out of MMA these days.

BTW here is the clip from the show:

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/dbjq4t/rampage4real-rampage-braces-himself
Long before Jones, Forrest messed up his knee. Rampage talks about it at the beginning of this:

He had surgery right after the Jones fights and attributes it to the damage Jones did. On his reality show they showed him going through surgery and rehab. What motivation would he have to lie?

No one argues he had knee work. They're arguing about laying the blame solely at Jones' feet and blaming oblique kicks, specifically, for such drastic knee damage that required surgery. Especially since Rampage continues to be the go-to guy for demonstrating the horrific effects of such kicks. Rampage's history of knee problems suggest that he had issues long before he even met Jones and his oblique kicks.

You guys know they can fix torn ligaments right? Brain damage is another story.

Technically they can 'fix' them but usually you are not the same afterwards and the knee is more prone to injury. Plus the surgery itself is expensive and takes a long recovery, especially if they are using stem cells to re-grow lost meniscus in your knee.

Rampage just admitted on his new reality show that Jon Jones knee kicks fvked up his knees from their fight. So apparently its ok to potentially mess up someone knee with a fast side kick but a slowly applied heel hook is a 'deadly technique'.:eek:

Amazing all the hypocrisy coming out of MMA these days.

BTW here is the clip from the show:

http://www.spike.com/video-clips/dbjq4t/rampage4real-rampage-braces-himself
If the guy tapped and Jones kicked him in the knee again it could maybe be related

Back