News R.I.P Akebono

SuperNerd

Playoff Mode.
@plutonium
Reaction score

..born Chad Rowan in Hawaii, is regarded as a pioneer after he broke down cultural barriers in the centuries-old sport to become the first non-Japanese yokozuna grand champion in 1993.

Japanese media said the wrestler, who took the name Taro Akebono when he became a Japanese citizen in 1996, had died of heart failure this month, citing a statement by the US Forces in Japan.

iu

iu

No idea respectfully who he was or if related to UFC, but RIP

Damn, they die young apparently. Always wondered if they can lose weight post-retirement and become healthy (wondered the same about huge bodybuilders - not healthy for the heart). Seems he was doing pro wreslting and then had a heart attack in 2017, so I guess it was bad for a while.

RIP

Damn, they die young apparently. Always wondered if they can lose weight post-retirement and become healthy (wondered the same about huge bodybuilders - not healthy for the heart). Seems he was doing pro wreslting and then had a heart attack in 2017, so I guess it was bad for a while.

RIP
A lot of the time I beieve they only put on weight as sumo and then loose it afterwards.

RIP

RIP Akebono. Dude fought Royce Gracie in K1 MMA match, amongst other legitimate MMA opponents and K1 opponents, all after his sumo career. A fun time in MMA where these matches were created.
Yeah, I remember him from K-1. Damn!! Bit of a shock to read this. RIP big fella & thanks for entertaining us. I've got k-1 dynamite 2003 on VHS where he fought knob sapp. Treasured item in my VHS collection.

RIP

For most of his adult life he weighed 200-240kg … that must put some insane stress on your internal organs …

One of the most underrated UFC fighter of all time!

Back