Could Hokuseiho Osamu make the switch to MMA?

colorles

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
800px-Hokuseiho_Osamu20220718.jpg

Hokuseihō Osamu (北青鵬 治, born 12 November 2001 as Ariunaagiin Davaaninj (Mongolian: Ариунаагийн Даваанинж[2]) is a Mongolian-born Japanese former sumo wrestler from the Miyagino stable. He was recruited by the former yokozuna Hakuhō, and had been regarded as his protégé.[3] He made his professional debut in March 2020 and won his first 21 matches. His highest achieved rank was maegashira 6.

After the January 2024 tournament, allegations of assaults by Hokuseihō against fellow rikishi in his stable led to an investigation by the Sumo Association,[4] which later verified them.[5] On 22 February 2024, the day before the full Sumo Association board met to take up the committee's recommendations, Hokuseihō submitted his retirement notification.[6] - end wikipedia

So. Big guy. 6'8'', 400 pounds. 22 years old. We know he can grapple and is an athletic big man. Being a rikishi he probably has a chin as well. Yeah he would have to learn some BJJ and striking but world champion mma fighters have started training at later ages in life. I say he could very well make the transition to mma; of course he would have to lose a lot of weight to make 265 - probably aim for a trim and in fighting shape weight of around 300 pounds or less and then cut from there - ideally make the cut as small as possible to save his chin and cardio.

What do you guys think? Could he? And, just as importantly, should he?

Reactions: Gio
He's too heavy to fight in the States.

I think Sumo's have potential but they are like the only other combat sport other than boxing and MMA that pay their top guys well enough to stay.

It'd also be better if MMA had a gi, their techniques would be more applicable.

He's too heavy to fight in the States.

I think Sumo's have potential but they are like the only other combat sport other than boxing and MMA that pay their top guys well enough to stay.

It'd also be better if MMA had a gi, their techniques would be more applicable.

Well he would obviously have to lose some weight just to even get to a point to make the cut to 265.

Indeed. But due to, what basically amounts to a bunch of "know your place, Mongolians", Hokuseiho and Hakuho are being punished. So no more sumo for Hokuseiho.

True. Hokuseiho is a mawashi fighter as well. But he could make the adjustment.

Well he would obviously have to lose some weight just to even get to a point to make the cut to 265.

Indeed. But due to, what basically amounts to a bunch of "know your place, Mongolians", Hokuseiho and Hakuho are being punished. So no more sumo for Hokuseiho.

True. Hokuseiho is a mawashi fighter as well. But he could make the adjustment.

I definitely think Mongolia will see some representation in bigger weight classes as their folk style wrestlers have another lucrative sport to consider. One that is more global and less exclusive than sumo as well.

Mongolians will still suffer though from not being able to get in the leagues with most exposure due to coming from an absolutely tiny market.

It seems like ONE or ACA are the best they can do, and they're likely not going to get high billings in either.

Established sumos making strides in Japan and getting high on a card in Rizin is the best future for Mongolian MMA .

Imagine Hokuseiho clinching and leaning in MMA like he did in Sumo.

Would be like Godzilla doing the wall and stall.

But I don't think Hokuseiho has the grit to handle MMA, considering it was such a problem for him in Sumo.

Back