Alex Perez as another example: Activity is Key

CorninginChristianburg

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Alex Perez won the fight tonight. He got to headline a card, 50k bonus, I believe his base pay is 6 figures as well. Obviously, MMA still pays poorly compared to some other sports. But Alex as a case study is important.

Wrestled JUCO, JUCO All American. But honestly, realistically, not a physically gifted physically talented fighter. Don't think as far as physical gifts he has what it takes to ever become a champ. Just a hardworking guy with a good wrestling base. I follow mostly wrestling-based prospects so I see this flaw mostly with wrestlers but it's not exclusive to them. A lot of wrestling-based prospects leave wrestling, especially D1, with a following. They are completely full of themselves. They fight 5 times in 5 years. They have highly tailored instagrams with sick graphics and inspirational captions about how they're a lion and everyone else is sheep. Every time they beat the local barber by unanimous decision to improve to 2-0 they go on a victory tour lasting a year of Florida, their hometown, their college town, Europe, etc.

Alex Perez made his MMA debut in May 2011. UFC in December 2017. He entered the UFC at 18-4. In those less than 6.5 years he fought 22 times. You get good at fighting, by fighting. And fighting is not for everyone, it's not for me. But I don't have any inspirational quotes or graphics on my instagram pretending it is. Alex is good at fighting because he loves to fight. Even this fight, he took on short notice, just 8 weeks off a 3 round fight. Tonight he made more than most fighters will ever make in the span of an entire career.

You're only saying this because Perez fought Mokaev not long ago, and then filled in on short notice here.

He hasn't even really been that active over the last few years.

A lot of wrestling-based prospects leave wrestling, especially D1, with a following. They are completely full of themselves. They fight 5 times in 5 years.

Before 2024, Perez hadn't fought since 2022, where he had 1 fight. Then his fight before that was another 2 years prior in 2020.

You're only saying this because Perez fought Mokaev not long ago, and then filled in on short notice here.

He hasn't even really been that active over the last few years.

Before 2024, Perez hadn't fought since 2022, where he had 1 fight. Then his fight before that was another 2 years prior in 2020.
So the short answer is that I'm not. Activity within the UFC is a separate issue. Many fighters sit out in the UFC for various reasons, they're waiting for a matchup, or a type of fight, or a type of of card. We all don't like it, but I can understand more sitting once you get to the UFC. What I'm specifically decrying are prospects who are nowhere near the UFC and never get any closer to the UFC because they fight so infrequently.

It is understood that the pace of activity will decrease once a fighter gets to the UFC, if for no other reason, because at that point they're contractually bound to fight in only one organization. Where fighters on the regional scene can fight for multiple organizations simultaneously. But if you consider Perez's entire career, 33 fights in 13 years, it's still more than 2.5 fights per year. Most fighters do not sustain 2.5 fights even when they're crushing local journeymen on the regional scene.

Thought you were talking about Alex Pereira and I was like "sure, he is active"

Most fighters do not sustain 2.5 fights even when they're crushing local journeymen on the regional scene.

Weird. I would've thought most of them do, not including the wrestler types that you mentioned before that barely fight. It seems most of the ones that mid sized feeder leagues and then DWCS/UFC do at least 2.5.

Well if he wants to keep the activity up I hope he is still committed to fighting Tagir Ulanbekov in June. A fight he signed up for before getting the Nicolau fight.

Alex Perez won the fight tonight. He got to headline a card, 50k bonus, I believe his base pay is 6 figures as well. Obviously, MMA still pays poorly compared to some other sports. But Alex as a case study is important.

Wrestled JUCO, JUCO All American. But honestly, realistically, not a physically gifted physically talented fighter. Don't think as far as physical gifts he has what it takes to ever become a champ. Just a hardworking guy with a good wrestling base. I follow mostly wrestling-based prospects so I see this flaw mostly with wrestlers but it's not exclusive to them. A lot of wrestling-based prospects leave wrestling, especially D1, with a following. They are completely full of themselves. They fight 5 times in 5 years. They have highly tailored instagrams with sick graphics and inspirational captions about how they're a lion and everyone else is sheep. Every time they beat the local barber by unanimous decision to improve to 2-0 they go on a victory tour lasting a year of Florida, their hometown, their college town, Europe, etc.

Alex Perez made his MMA debut in May 2011. UFC in December 2017. He entered the UFC at 18-4. In those less than 6.5 years he fought 22 times. You get good at fighting, by fighting. And fighting is not for everyone, it's not for me. But I don't have any inspirational quotes or graphics on my instagram pretending it is. Alex is good at fighting because he loves to fight. Even this fight, he took on short notice, just 8 weeks off a 3 round fight. Tonight he made more than most fighters will ever make in the span of an entire career.
Dude has fought 5 times in the last 4 years and 1 and 3 in his last 4 the fuck are you talking about.

Back