News R.I.P Akebono

Dude was an excellent sumo wrestler. In my limited knowledge he is one of the best of the past 50 years.
In other combat sports, he wasn't very good. I had heard he fought in K-1 and other MMA promotions because he was strapped for cash. Still, even though he almost always lost he never quit.
RIP

he was a hawaiian sumo wrestler. very popular out there in his time. he fought royce. that’s his relevance to ufc.
Wow, never heard of that. Thank you for informing me. Again, meant no disrespect, cheers

He was a sumo wrestler turned K-1 fighter. He fought against the likes of Bob Sapp and Don Frye.

RIP.
Learning a lot from replies to my comment, did not know about K1 and Bob Sapp and Don Frye, wow! Thanks for letting me know Sherbro! Cheers

Damn I thought he was a lot older back when he was fighting. RIP

what's crazy is his name Akebono means "Dawn" in Japanese and he was basically the dawn of a new era in sumo.

He was very brave getting in the ring against some killers back in the day.RIP big man

Let's be real, japanese are lucky other countries don't give a fuck about sumo. Just like how the mighty US don't care about SOCCER

No idea respectfully who he was or if related to UFC, but RIP
He is considered a legendary sumo wrestler being the first foreigner (Not born in Japan) to win a championship and reach Yokozuna which is the highest rank in sumo. He was a part of some fun freak show fights in K1 / Pride.

Let's be real, japanese are lucky other countries don't give a fuck about sumo. Just like how the mighty US don't care about SOCCER
I don't think Japan really cares considering it's a nationalistic country in the first place and why would it make them lucky? No one really cares about baseball either outside the U.S and a handful of countries not sure what your point is.

He is considered a legendary sumo wrestler being the first foreigner (Not born in Japan) to win a championship and reach Yokozuna which is the highest rank in sumo. He was a part of some fun freak show fights in K1 / Pride.
Amazing , thanks for the background on this! Appreciate it

Shame to hear. Rip akebono. Guy built a pretty huge legacy

Back