News R.I.P Akebono

Dude was an excellent sumo wrestler. In my limited knowledge he is one of the best of the past 50 years.
In other combat sports, he wasn't very good. I had heard he fought in K-1 and other MMA promotions because he was strapped for cash. Still, even though he almost always lost he never quit.
RIP
A lot of former Yokozuna's are forced to work regular jobs after they retire. There's a vice documentary of a former Yokozuna who was a truck driver trying to make a living after his career was over.

..born Chad Rowan in Hawaii, is regarded as a pioneer after he broke down cultural barriers in the centuries-old sport to become the first non-Japanese yokozuna grand champion in 1993.

Japanese media said the wrestler, who took the name Taro Akebono when he became a Japanese citizen in 1996, had died of heart failure this month, citing a statement by the US Forces in Japan.

iu

iu
Rest in Peace Akebono. TY for all the memories.

A lot of former Yokozuna's are forced to work regular jobs after they retire. There's a vice documentary of a former Yokozuna who was a truck driver trying to make a living after his career was over.
is it due to low pay of being a sumo? or is it because, like many athletes, they dont have proper financial advice guiding them on how to save their money?

He was good in a period where the sumo level was high.
After him and takanohana, we basically only had Asashoryu, Hakuho and Terunofuji for the last 20 years.
like 70 championships between these three.
RIP to a great one.

Damn, gonna check it out. Thanks Sherbro. Had no idea
I'm not saying you should watch it. It's a joke slopfest. But it's everything the Japanese fans wanted.

Meanwhile people on Sherdog like to pretend that Japanese fans are ultra respectful and just love the intricacies of grappling. No, Japanese fans love freakshows more than anyone else on the planet.

Aside from his sumo accolades, Akebono was responsible for giving us one of the most memorable fights in MMA history. Sakuraba was scheduled to fight Wanderlei for the third time, but Saku injured his ribs while training Akebono for his bout with Royce. Hunt stepped in against Wanderlei, and we all know what happened after that.

I'm not saying you should watch it. It's a joke slopfest. But it's everything the Japanese fans wanted.

Meanwhile people on Sherdog like to pretend that Japanese fans are ultra respectful and just love the intricacies of grappling. No, Japanese fans love freakshows more than anyone else on the planet.
I believe the highest ratings for a fight in Pride FC was Ogawa vs. Giant Silva. So, yeah.

Last edited:

I wasn't being sarcastic, I meant it but I see re-reading why you'd think so.

RIP. I will remember his K1 apearances. Sorry for the loss.

RIP!

Sumo is cool. Still waiting to see sumo potential in the sport of MMA. Although they ring/cage is a bit too big for them but in tight areas these sumos will floor anyone very fast.

I think you meant regular sumo wrestlers rather than Yokozunas. Yokozuna, as well as other high ranking guys, generally do ok after retirement because they save some money and get positions in the Japanese Sumo Association (coaches, stable owners, etc.) But not always, in particular Akebono had financial troubles which is why he had to take unnecessary damage in K1, MMA and pro wrestling.

Sumo > MMA to watch. No joke.

Just have no clue how pr where to watch it now that SHTEPSN doesn't show it anymore?

Absolutely gutted to hear about this. Being stationed in the Pacific back in the day, we'd read about Akebono just crushing it in the Stars & Stripes.

I was always a fan of Konishki, Musashimaru, and of course Akebono.

Rest In Peace. :(

Back