Locked PWD 1156: Blood in Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pliny Pete i fly up there today.
I have eXtreme heat with the rainy day broadcast for fri/sat.
Guess i'll just sit around in my jammies and ease the pain with a smorgasbord of pastry franks and other goodies from the french bakery.

Pastry franks popped me

I always see the most beautiful women at the airport.

What a venue!

I've been mostly focusing on WWE so I don't understand. Why do Eric Bischoff and Tony Khan have beef with each other? I'm assuming Bischoff said something bad about AEW.

Feeding off AEW and Meltzer hatred is big business for podcasts. I truly don't think there is anything more to it for Bischoff.
It's become Eric's gimmick at this point. It makes sense that he ran out of things to talk about after 5 years so he flipped the switch to being more of a critical podcast. The first 30 minutes of 83 Weeks has turned into just shitting on AEW

It's become Eric's gimmick at this point. It makes sense that he ran out of things to talk about after 5 years so he flipped the switch to being more of a critical podcast. The first 30 minutes of 83 Weeks has turned into just shitting on AEW
It sucks because I actually really likes his podcast for the first little bit, but it is just the same old shit. They saw what worked with Cornette and Bruce and wanted in on the action. It is just so uncreative. But i guess they don't stop them sending them gimmicks in the mail they call bills.

not that he is gonna be able to pay them anyway

It sucks because I actually really likes his podcast for the first little bit, but it is just the same old shit. They saw what worked with Cornette and Bruce and wanted in on the action. It is just so uncreative. But i guess they don't stop them sending them gimmicks in the mail they call bills.

not that he is gonna be able to pay them anyway
I can at least appreciate how Corny will say something was terrible, here's why it was terrible and here's what would have made it better. Bruce can usually correct(or at least in his mind) Dave's reporting before he rants. Eric just repeats various forms of "He's a piece of shit money mark" and "their audience isn't growing and that's why they're not successful." He offers no actual analysis. If I do listen to 83 Weeks these days, I just skip to about 30 minutes in and go from there

I can at least appreciate how Corny will say something was terrible, here's why it was terrible and here's what would have made it better. Bruce can usually correct(or at least in his mind) Dave's reporting before he rants. Eric just repeats various forms of "He's a piece of shit money mark" and "their audience isn't growing and that's why they're not successful." He offers no actual analysis. If I do listen to 83 Weeks these days, I just skip to about 30 minutes in and go from there
I stopped listening when Conrad would bring up AEW after saying "I know we are not supposed to bring up current stuff"........then do a half an hour .

I've been mostly focusing on WWE so I don't understand. Why do Eric Bischoff and Tony Khan have beef with each other? I'm assuming Bischoff said something bad about AEW.

Exoterically - Bischoff has been burying AEW for a while now. Probably for views for his podcast, he wrote a book called controversy creates cash. He thinks they are going to lose their TV deal. Tony Khan kind of fueled that fire when he was feeling himself one day and said Ted Turner would still be in This Business if he knew pro wrestling like he did. Bischoff and TK were cool at one point. Bischoff was even on a couple episodes of Dynamite and looks to have been treating well as far as how they presented him. Bischoff is kind of dumb if you watch his Ted Talk. TK is kind of dumb on Twitter. Its probably mostly just a work.

Esoterically - TK wanted Bischoff to push the American Males harder back in the 90s. Thought they had huge star potential, but never got a proper push because politics, man.

Exoterically - Bischoff has been burying AEW for a while now. Probably for views for his podcast, he wrote a book called controversy creates cash. He thinks they are going to lose their TV deal. Tony Khan kind of fueled that fire when he was feeling himself one day and said Ted Turner would still be in This Business if he knew pro wrestling like he did. Bischoff and TK were cool at one point. Bischoff was even on a couple episodes of Dynamite and looks to have been treating well as far as how they presented him. Bischoff is kind of dumb if you watch his Ted Talk. TK is kind of dumb on Twitter. Its probably mostly just a work.

Esoterically - TK wanted Bischoff to push the American Males harder back in the 90s. Thought they had huge star potential, but never got a proper push because politics, man.
I appreciate the use of exoteric and esoteric.....you a smart one.

Then again I was a dumbass who didn 't know "assuage" when @Falsedawn used it,

Im reading about the Dick Shikat-Danno Mahoney world title double cross in 1936 and I found this little tidbit interesting

"To the public, wrestling was a joke, and when major newspapers stopped covering it, attendance dropped. Promoters knew the public thought its product was a joke so they promoted it like a joke. By 1940 the sport was filled with gimmicks like mud matches or Jell-O matches or dead fish matches. Performing freaks became wrestling's biggest draws"

But, but, I thought everyone took rasslin seriously back in the olden days and it wasnt until Tony Kahn and the Young Bucks came along that everything became a punchline

This story is pretty wild, Dick Shikat faced Danno Mahoney in Madison Square Garden on March 2, 1936 for the world title and started shooting on him right from the beginning of the match
Mahoney kept going out of the ring to try and escape but back in those days a count out or a DQ was a title loss so he had no choice but to go back in the ring to try and fight
Finally Mahoney had enough and verbally submitted twice to an arm lock but the referee refused to ring the bell
Shikat told the ref he was gonna break Mahoney's arm legit if the ref didnt stop the match so the ref made Mahoney yell I quit loud enough for the whole crowd to hear and then he rang the bell

Heres a quick little 15 second news clip of the finish, I think this is the first time a legit screwjob was caught on tape

Im reading about the Dick Shikat-Danno Mahoney world title double cross in 1936 and I found this little tidbit interesting

"To the public, wrestling was a joke, and when major newspapers stopped covering it, attendance dropped. Promoters knew the public thought its product was a joke so they promoted it like a joke. By 1940 the sport was filled with gimmicks like mud matches or Jell-O matches or dead fish matches. Performing freaks became wrestling's biggest draws"

But, but, I thought everyone took rasslin seriously back in the olden days and it wasnt until Tony Kahn and the Young Bucks came along that everything became a punchline
c143fc80-438a-4236-a4fc-2cb87d5985fb_text.gif

f5a73de0-a4b8-422b-95d8-35bca4734cdc_text.gif

After the match, a bunch of promoters started booking Shikat in matches all over the country without his knowledge or permission so that he would get suspended by the various state commissions in an attempt to force him to lose the title back to their chosen champion

Finally the whole clusterfuck ended up in court with promoters testifying under oath about wrestling being an illegal trust and matches being fixed and what not

Theres a lot more twists and turns to the story but this was the beginning of the end of rasslin being presented as a legitimate sporting competition and there being one single nationally recognized world champion

Heres a link to a detailed breakdown of the whole sordid story if anyones interested in the nuts and bolts
Its a twisted tale full of back stabbing, forged paper work, false bookings, this promoter screwing that promoter today and then both of them teaming up to screw a third promoter tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back