Prime GSP vs Woodley ... who wins?

Tough fight for both guys. I'd love to see Woodley face a top tier wrestler at this point in his career. I mean we saw GSP face many great fighters in his career, including wrestlers. Tho we can argue Matt Hughes was out of his prime and GSP wasn't in the best condition when he fought Hendricks. I guess you could argue both ways. Woodley might be able to neutralize GSP ground game like Hendricks did and GSP likewise could easily take him out in the stand up.

Tho in my opinion I think it's safe to say GSP isn't a fan of fighting wrestlers with heavy hands. It might have been a repeat like with Hendricks to be honest.

Woodleys biggest weakest has always been his work rate in striking. The guy has never been a high volume/ high pace striker. It's one of the reasons why Rory beat him so easily.

T-Wood is a tough matchup for any version of GSP, and I think Georges is GOAT. Honestly, I doubt Georges gets him down, and he'd have to out jab him over 5 rounds, while Tyrone only needs one good punch.

Edit: I know people will bring up Koscheck and Johnny, but Tyrone's right is a damn laser beam that he can cover half the cage with.

GSP.

It would probably look like GSP vs. Kos.

Pot kettle black.

Have you seen Woodley fight? Are you a big GSP fan?

When you say best, you don't mean exciting, high-paced, daring quality MMA do you? It's just a random adjective, right?
I'll never understand why GSP fans are so desperate to protect him from tough fights.

Try this: (1) believe in your guy and (2) push for him to fight the best and to win.

And then you'll be a fan.

This is a bizarre conglomeration of politics and idolatry. Not fandom.

I'll never understand w fihy GSP fans are so desperate to protect him from tough fights.

Try this: (1) believe in your guy, (2) push for him to fight the best, and (3) win.

You quoted me. Telling me, GSP is bitch made because of Tyron's claims.

If you don't want me to comment, don't quote me.

If GSP is a bitch for getting named dropped in a LW fight with Diaz, what does that make Tyron? The WW champion, who campaigned, pleaded, begged, and wanted the fight with Diaz. Besides GSP, it's the only fight Tyron has shown any willingness for. He didn't want Maia and he didn't want Wonderboy.

Tyron is the guy who said "I don't want to fight my team mate" when the Lombard fight was offered, but when Robbie went through two wars, and Tyron sat on the bench, resting, he said "I have no problem fighitng a team mate"

If any of these two are "bitch made", I'm not voting Georges. This isn't about "protecting" GSP from your rude comments, or Woodley's.

It's pointing out how much a hypocrite people like you and Woodley are when you log onto your computer and type GSP is bitch made.

And spare me the "you're not a real GSP fan", I really couldn't care if measured up to "fan", and more importantly, do not want your approval.

Last edited:
You quoted me. Telling me, GSP is bitch made because of Tyron's claims.

If you don't want me to comment, don't quote me.

If GSP is a bitch for getting named dropped in a LW fight with Diaz, what does that make Tyron? The WW champion, who campaigned, pleaded, begged, and wanted the fight with Diaz. Besides GSP, it's the only fight Tyron has shown any willingness for. He didn't want Maia and he didn't want Wonderboy.

Tyron is the guy who said "I don't want to fight my team mate" when the Lombard fight was offered, but when Robbie went through two wars, and Tyron sat on the bench, resting, he said "I have no problem fighitng a team mate"

If any of these two are "bitch made", I'm not voting Georges. This isn't about "protecting" GSP from your rude comments, or Woodley's.

It's pointing out how much a hypocrite people like you and Woodley are when you log onto your computer and type GSP is bitch made.

And spare me the "you're not a real GSP fan", I really couldn't care if measured up to "fan", and more importantly, do not want your approval.
That you can't see what makes all of these past non-events distinguishable is a problem.

You're not stupid. It's just a critical lack of objectivity.

If and when GSP drops to LW to fight Diaz (lmao) and retires without fighting Woodley, you'll have your PR work cut out for you.

I do not envy you that.

That you can't see what makes all of these past non-events distinguishable is a problem.

You're not stupid. It's just a critical lack of objectivity.

If and when GSP drops to LW to fight Diaz (lmao) and retires without fighting Woodley, you'll have your PR work cut out for you.

I do not envy you that.

Well thank you, but in this thread you've said nothing besides trying to discredit me. I'm not sure if you're even trying to make any other point. You want to excuse away my opinion. It's flattering, I know it's because you think I'm smarter than the average sherdogger.

Well thank you, but in this thread you've said nothing besides trying to discredit me. You want to excuse away my opinion. It's flattering, I know it's because you think I'm smarter than the average sherdogger.
There are few intelligent posters in the heavies. So, yeah, I try to pare the argument away from the poster. It's never personal.

But I guess we all have our blind spots. GSP is yours.

There are few intelligent posters in the heavies. So, yeah, I try to pare the argument away from the poster. It's never personal.

But I guess we all have our blind spots. GSP is yours.

Compared to the haters, I wouldn't call it a blind spot, but sure.

I have no problems acknowledging GSP is my favourite fighter in these discussions, I usually address any of my biases before attempting any break down. I'm not immune to quality, well pointed arguments against GSP.

Last edited:
Woodley by KO. Tyron is a bad stylistic match up for GSP.

Very refreshing to see there an accurate point of view.

I've tried posting that GSP's legacy is as a WW. If you want to improve your legacy go back to the weight class that made you famous.

I suppose his legacy as a MMA fighter increases if he wins some fights in different weight classes but any knowledgable reasonable fan will know the real legitimacy of opponents like Bisping or Nate Diaz. Its definitely a positive to win these fights but I'm not prepared to give GSP more credit than he deserves especially when he is so blatantly fighting above and below his traditional weight class.

At the end of the day Tyron could represent a huge black stain (lol) on the legacy of GSP. If Woodley accumulates more title defenses and reigns similar to GSP, the question of "what if" they fought will arise more frequently as Tyron is now comparable in greatness. And this question can always be answered with the fact that GSP ducked a challenger that was ready willing and begging to fight him.

GSP isn't the champ and doesn't have to take on contenders. He's a legend getting in a few more fights before calling it quits. The UFC currently has no interest in making the fight, only one being vocal about it is Woodley.

If GSP wants to go down to LW and wins the belt; guess what, he'll be looked at as a LW who dominated WW. All those haters who complained that GSP only beat LWs will have nothing because GSP could prove he was a LW too.

If GSP goes and wins the LW belt and never fights Woodley, his haters will always bring it up on GOAT discussions but my simple reply will be CHAMP-CHAMP-CHAMP.

I'll never understand why GSP fans are so desperate to protect him from tough fights.

Try this: (1) believe in your guy and (2) push for him to fight the best and to win.

So having even odds vs. Bisping wasn't a tough fight? It was the worst odds he had in over a decade. If you thought it was an easy fight, I hope you bet the house on it as it was the best odds you'll get on a GSP fight.

Do people forget twood vs McDonald?? Gsp is a bettter fighter then McDonald and he made twood of look like an infant.

GSP 50-45. Would be similar to Rory vs Woodley, though less domination against the cage.

Back