Prime GSP vs Woodley ... who wins?

So having even odds vs. Bisping wasn't a tough fight? It was the worst odds he had in over a decade. If you thought it was an easy fight, I hope you bet the house on it as it was the best odds you'll get on a GSP fight.
Sir, while I truly admire defending of GSP. Sherdog is the worst. They don't take the evidence in context. Only on sherdog does a guy(at the time tied with most UFC wins top 10-5 all career, started as a LHW, and is a defending MW champ) that's champion suck, and the guy who was retired for 4 years post prime fighting a never fought before weight class while being affected by colitis and not being able to gain/maintain the mass he originally wanted for it and actually finished the guy, something the previous highly respected fighters in Anderson Silva, Dan henderson, and Luke salthold couldn't do, wasn't a real accomplishment. Why? Cause it was all flukes of course.

Why didn't GSP stay at middle weight? Cause he contracted colitis, as evident by pictures of GSP dropping alot of weight, a rumor(NOT STARTED BY GSP) off a 155 bout with Nate and won't use that as evidence, but will be the same people to post "hgh injection sites" or a one picture of "gap hgh gut".

As seen in other threads where people break down step by step that what is happening with contexts, and timelines. And people will skip right over, and not acknowledge anything that would change their opinion and instead soew the same rhetoric as if it hasn't been used.

There are literally people who think reclaiming a the WW title for 3rd time as established WW Goat is somehow better than being the first & only to accomplish 3 different titles, something no one will do for (I'm) a long, long time.

There were people in a previous thread who said GSP isn't even GOAT WW.

So why I applude your tenacity, it really is a useless effort. :(

The thing is if we are talking about prime GSP, we are not talking about 185 GSP so the Bisbing fight is irrelevant. 185 GSP obviously is slower but packs more power than prime GSP. Also Bisbing has been TKOed many more times than Woodley has so naturally his chin has degraded more.

The thing is GSP doesn't generally get hit by overhands but he hasn't faced anyone who can throw one like Woodley. Thompson is an even better striker than GSP, super elusive, and he knew the overhand was coming but he still got dropped by it in both fights.
Prime GSP was one of the least hit champs in MMA history according to fightmetric. When he came back from his surgeries he was one of the most hit champs again according to fightmetric.

Why? His trasiktion game and double leg were much less.

The hardest part of fighting Prime GSP was that transition game. No one moved from striking to TD smoother than GSP and he was best at reading his opponents body stance. If his opponent had his weight shifted forward to strike GSP took advantage of that to shoot in and take them down. If his opponent had his weight shifted back for tdd, GSP punched and kicked him endlessly.

His opponents would say how frustrating it was to fight him as they simply were not able to establish any offense. He always kept them off their game.

Woodley could always catch GSP but that was much harder in his prime. Woodley would certainly have to respect the td threat as he did with Rory and that makes GSP harder to hit and his striking that much more effective. But also it means GSP hit with less power. Now his transition game is not so much there he is really sitting down on his punches more.

Sir, while I truly admire defending of GSP. Sherdog is the worst. They don't take the evidence in context. Only on sherdog does a guy(at the time tied with most UFC wins top 10-5 all career, started as a LHW, and is a defending MW champ) that's champion suck, and the guy who was retired for 4 years post prime fighting a never fought before weight class while being affected by colitis and not being able to gain/maintain the mass he originally wanted for it and actually finished the guy, something the previous highly respected fighters in Anderson Silva, Dan henderson, and Luke salthold couldn't do, wasn't a real accomplishment. Why? Cause it was all flukes of course.

Why didn't GSP stay at middle weight? Cause he contracted colitis, as evident by pictures of GSP dropping alot of weight, a rumor(NOT STARTED BY GSP) off a 155 bout with Nate and won't use that as evidence, but will be the same people to post "hgh injection sites" or a one picture of "gap hgh gut".

As seen in other threads where people break down step by step that what is happening with contexts, and timelines. And people will skip right over, and not acknowledge anything that would change their opinion and instead soew the same rhetoric as if it hasn't been used.

There are literally people who think reclaiming a the WW title for 3rd time as established WW Goat is somehow better than being the first & only to accomplish 3 different titles, something no one will do for (I'm) a long, long time.

Very good post.
I have kind of given up trying to defend GSP, it's futile. The hater's will always have their 'champion', currently it's Woodley. I am sure by this time next year it will be someone else.

Very good post.
I have kind of given up trying to defend GSP, it's futile. The hater's will always have their 'champion', currently it's Woodley. I am sure by this time next year it will be someone else.
There's critizism and then there's just biased hypocritical haters. Ill never understand why Sherdog can't just like all fighters (except Colby, fuck that guy). Fighters fight, they bring us entertainment, just because GSP is trying to cement himself at clear cut GOAT doesn't mean other GOATs can't be favorites still.

I'll never understand why GSP fans are so desperate to protect him from tough fights.

Try this: (1) believe in your guy and (2) push for him to fight the best and to win.

And then you'll be a fan.

This is a bizarre conglomeration of politics and idolatry. Not fandom.
you acting like you are objective is the biggest joke.

No one, and i mean NO ONE does not admit GSP fought the toughest comp of any champ in his prime run. Every MMA talking head, every MMA ranking site, they all say it. Only haters like you pretend GSP has been protected from tough fights. LMFAO.

GSP isn't the champ and doesn't have to take on contenders. He's a legend getting in a few more fights before calling it quits. The UFC currently has no interest in making the fight, only one being vocal about it is Woodley.

If GSP wants to go down to LW and wins the belt; guess what, he'll be looked at as a LW who dominated WW. All those haters who complained that GSP only beat LWs will have nothing because GSP could prove he was a LW too.

If GSP goes and wins the LW belt and never fights Woodley, his haters will always bring it up on GOAT discussions but my simple reply will be CHAMP-CHAMP-CHAMP.

Agree it would be cool to see GSP win a LW belt, especially because the current LW champion is a hell of a lot more legitimate and challenging than the MW champion when GSP won that title.
So you're saying this rumoured Nate fight is just to test the water at LW and then GSP will eventually challenge for the title? Weird that he didn't need a test run at MW, and weird that he's even taking a test run at LW because i'm sure the UFC would book him directly in a title match if he wanted. Would you be disappointed if GSP fought Nate and then called it quits at LW?

+ Saying CHAMP-CHAMP-CHAMP is a cool accolade and credit to GSP as maybe a GOAT total mixed martial artist but the haters can still say that Woodley is the GOAT welterweight. GSP had his chance to try to prove otherwise and ducked it.

Personally I thought Hendricks beats GSP handidly

usatsi_7560759.jpg

That said, if that was GSP's Prime, Woodley takes him then and of course now

So much about that fight to me was just wrong. First of all we now know without question his opponent was seriously cheating the system at that time. He fell off the planet as soon as more strict testing came in.. GSP after four years out of the game and under that same strict testing, finished the middleweight champion of the world. Also I think GSP had a combination of a bad night and his head just not being into it anymore. It’s not a coincidence he retired right after. It was kind of like Michael Jordan in his prime way back in 1993 retiring on top. He was mentally burnt out and just had enough.

Agree it would be cool to see GSP win a LW belt, especially because the current LW champion is a hell of a lot more legitimate and challenging than the MW champion when GSP won that title.
So you're saying this rumoured Nate fight is just to test the water at LW and then GSP will eventually challenge for the title? Weird that he didn't need a test run at MW, and weird that he's even taking a test run at LW because i'm sure the UFC would book him directly in a title match if he wanted. Would you be disappointed if GSP fought Nate and then called it quits at LW?

+ Saying CHAMP-CHAMP-CHAMP is a cool accolade and credit to GSP as maybe a GOAT total mixed martial artist but the haters can still say that Woodley is the GOAT welterweight. GSP had his chance to try to prove otherwise and ducked it.

Yes I do think the UFC would use a Nate match up to set up a LW title shot and they would also hope Conor could beat Khabib to set up the Super Red Panty night with GSP vs. Conor.

GSP didn't need a test run at MW because it is highly unlikely a WW will miss weight at MW. Now it's a different story going down a weight class. So the UFC is trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, test GSP's weight cutting and build a story for a Conor match up. Also with the history between Nick, there would be plenty of bad blood in the promotion of a Nate match up.

Woodley still has a few defences to catch Matt, and a few more after that to catch GSP. Can Woodley do it, maybe but unlikely.

So much about that fight to me was just wrong. First of all we now know without question his opponent was seriously cheating the system at that time. He fell off the planet as soon as more strict testing came in.. GSP after four years out of the game and under that same strict testing, finished the middleweight champion of the world. Also I think GSP had a combination of a bad night and his head just not being into it anymore. It’s not a coincidence he retired right after. It was kind of like Michael Jordan in his prime way back in 1993 retiring on top. He was mentally burnt out and just had enough.
I dont disagree with anything you typed
and looking at that photo of Hendricks phsyique it screams pre-USADA

I was still shocked GSP won according to the judges though

I dont disagree with anything you typed
and looking at that photo of Hendricks phsyique it screams pre-USADA

I was still shocked GSP won according to the judges though

I recall watching it live feeling as if he lost as well. Part of that was actually the fight commentary itself specifically Joe going on and on about how he thought he lost. I watched it the next day twice and felt it was very close. The problem is GSP took a lot of damage to his face so appearances were not in his favor.

Woodley stiffens GSP. Woodley is a bad match up for Pierre.

List of people who were "a bad matchup for GSP":

Hughes
Penn
Fitch
Bisping
Diaz
Sherk
Condit

What do they all have in common?

I know the haters will flame me for this but I don't even feel I am defending GSP, most are just facts. Yes he failed to finish a great deal of fights but they were title defenses against contenders. It wasn't from a lack of trying but after his past loses, he believed in position over punishment. That's why there aren't highlights of him going berserker and getting KO'd like the Hendo KO of Fedor.

You are right though, nothing will change the hater's minds. Even if he dropped Cro Cop with a LHK, the haters would have some reason the victory meant nothing. BTW, I do not think GSP could beat Cro Cop.

I am a fan of many fighters, I just hate their fans.

I recall watching it live feeling as if he lost as well. Part of that was actually the fight commentary itself specifically Joe going on and on about how he thought he lost. I watched it the next day twice and felt it was very close. The problem is GSP took a lot of damage to his face so appearances were not in his favor.

The UFC knew he was retiring/stepping away, he probably hinted at it after they wouldn't step up the testing. Rogan was told who he should be backing and Dana tried to stop GSP from attending the post fight conference. It was a very close fight and I wouldn't have cried if Hendricks got the nod, certainly not to the extent of the GSP haters.

The UFC knew he was retiring/stepping away, he probably hinted at it after they wouldn't step up the testing. Rogan was told who he should be backing and Dana tried to stop GSP from attending the post fight conference. It was a very close fight and I wouldn't have cried if Hendricks got the nod, certainly not to the extent of the GSP haters.

That was truly Dana at his absolute worst and probably forever wrecked his relationship with GSP. This is the man that was your biggest star and your poster boy for almost 10 years in the company. You disagree with one decision he makes and you throw him under the bus. It was pretty incredible.

Back