Post Punk / Post Hardcore / Screamo / Math Core / Math Rock etc.

All the following emo/pop punk bands are playing my town in the next month or two:
Bayside
Taking Back Sunday
The Used
Thrice
The Get Up Kids
The Ataris

It's like I've been sucked into a time warp and transported back to 2003.

I listened to some Get-Up Kids last night.

I know, who'd of thunk it?

A few years ago I noticed At the Drive-in, Refused, and Godspeed You, Black Emperor were all playing Coachella... I never expected any of those bands to reunite. It's crazy.

Speaking of Refused, how about some music from Text. When Refused broke-up Jon (the guitar player) released this album. This song was clearly written for Dennis (from Refused) to sing... It's interesting to think that this is the path they were (probably) going to take had they stayed together. I imagine these creative differences might've fueled the break-up. I love this song, but the rest of the album isn't very good.

I listened to some Get-Up Kids last night.

I know, who'd of thunk it?

A few years ago I noticed At the Drive-in, Refused, and Godspeed You, Black Emperor were all playing Coachella... I never expected any of those bands to reunite. It's crazy.

Speaking of Refused, how about some music from Text. When Refused broke-up Jon (the guitar player) released this album. This song was clearly written for Dennis (from Refused) to sing... It's interesting to think that this is the path they were (probably) going to take had they stayed together. I imagine these creative differences might've fueled the break-up. I love this song, but the rest of the album isn't very good.

I know Bayside isn't quit in the same vein as some of this thread but I saw them 2 years ago. Back in the early 2000's I thought they were "ok" but not a band I was in love with. But they sounded great live. I'm not a musician so I can't give you technical examples, but they sounded incredibly clean when I saw them live with some people. Was really impressed.

Refused are also playing Riotfest, along with a bunch of other amazing bands. Would kill to go to that.

I know Bayside isn't quit in the same vein as some of this thread but I saw them 2 years ago. Back in the early 2000's I thought they were "ok" but not a band I was in love with. But they sounded great live. I'm not a musician so I can't give you technical examples, but they sounded incredibly clean when I saw them live with some people. Was really impressed.

Refused are also playing Riotfest, along with a bunch of other amazing bands. Would kill to go to that.

It's a great line-up, no doubt. They cancelled the Toronto version this year. I'm only 45 minutes away from Toronto. :( I definitely would've went to that.

denver_2016_admat_SINGLEDAY_16-9.jpg

Saw Bayside supporting Gaslight Anthem about 18 months ago and they were amazing

Best show I ever went to had these 4 bands, around 2005:

That's an awesome show. I never got to see Hella but I love them. I saw Horse the Band twice, once with Hot Cross (in 2003) and once with The Number Twelve Looks Like You (2005) both shows were awesome. I also saw Dillinger Escape Plan twice.

My favourite was probably
Dillinger Escape Plan, with The Locust & Das Oath (2004)

Genghis Tron, The Plot To Blow Up The Eiffel Tower, Clipd Beaks (2006)

Genghis Tron were really tight live also, someone in the crowd knocked over their vintage super-rare synthesizer and the singer attacked him. He was right next to me, was pretty cool.

The Plot to blow up the Eiffel Tower - They were really tight live... screamo with saxaphone... so good.

Clipd Beaks - Manipulator (these guys were a total trip live, so awesome) the noise solo in the middle was played on a Korg nano-pad. The singer sang through a megaphone and distortion pedals.

Circle Takes The Square, Japanther, and two amazing local bands (Arkata & Raise them and eat Them)

Daughters, Black Eyes, The Abandoned Hearts Club (great show, pretty amazing actually)

Some other great shows I got to see, but the music fits better in Gutter Chris' thread.

Propagandhi, Avail, Strike Anywhere (2000)

Warped Tour 1997: Bad Religion, NOFX, Rancid, The Specials, Less Than Jake, Gob, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Swingin' Utters + more

Against All Authority, Assorted Jellybeans & Falling Sickness (1997)

I saw Converge a few times, once with Cursed, that was great. Saw Strike Anywhere with City of Caterpillar and Colossal (also brilliant)

Does Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza belong in this thread? What genre are they?

Does Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza belong in this thread? What genre are they?

They define their music as extreme metal apparently, but yeah this is the thread for them. I've been a fan of theirs for years, that's actually my favourite song of theirs :D

Posted a bunch of bands on the same record label as them (Black Market Activities) in this thread, Ed Gein, Throats, Backstabbers Inc., The Red Chord & Found Dead Hanging.

Behold...The Arctopus were also on the same label. Their first song, and still my favourite.

Psyopus... I forgot how awesome these guys are

Any Nora fans?

Nora's a great band. I saw them play in the basement of Sonic Unyon records in Hamilton. After their set my friends and I talked about music with the singer and the owner. They both preferred Kid Dynamite to Lifetime like us. Nice guys, they were really good live, sounded just like the albums.

I think Shogun played that show too... I saw them at Sonic Unyon records either way

Last edited:
Born Against - Half Mast (1990)

Sam McPheeters' (the singer from Born Against) other projects

Wrangler Brutes (2004)

Men's Recovery Project (2000)

Time to get weird, and noisy:

Black Pus. A one man band (the drummer from Lightning bolt) He makes all the sounds with effects pedals on one foot, and the drums with the other, plus his microphone. Crazy. He's got a microphone in his bandana that he uses to sing and make noises. Look at the pile of drumsticks :D

Deerhoof (2016)

Arab on Radar (Daughters are just a faster more hardcore version of these guys)

Two members of Arab on Radar's current project

Hot Nerds (2015)

Foot Village (4 drummers/singers)

I've been going through my old Last.fm account from 2005 and listening to a lot of these bands I haven't heard in years. So thanks for making this thread.

Drago Miette (featuring members of Usurp Synapse & Rep Seki) I love the way they use the violin and the organ in this song, so creative and unique. Such a beautiful ending to the song as well.

Usurp Synapse / Hassan I Sabbah Split 7"

Rep Seki, the brainchild of Mike Dixon... fromUsurp Synapse

Mike Dixon was also the main guy in Rapider Than Horsepower @flemmy might like these guys.

Great choices.

Pg. 99 were amazing. A 9 piece hardcore/screamo band (2 drummers, 2 bass players, 3 guitar players, 2 singers) That's why they broke up, during their last tour of Europe whoever booked the tour fucked up and someone showed up with a Van to take all 9 people + 2 drivers and all their equipment. They ended up having to leave several guitar cabinets on a street corner so they could make their next show. They had to try and borrow equipment for the rest of the tour, and sometimes members had to sit out for the night. That was it, a 9 piece hardcore band just wasn't practical. It's a dame shame, they were such a great band.

Then you'd think out of a 9 piece band at least one of them would form a band that plays in a similar style, but nope, they all go off and start experimetal folk/indie bands or garage rock style punk bands... City of Caterpillar was already around long before Pg.99 broke up so they don't count. Pygmy Lush has a couple songs that are kind of similar to Pg.99, and Chris Taylor did that one song with Crestfallen' that sounds like Pg.99 but that's it.

Some more Florida screamo

I uploaded some old flyers of shows I went to...
Scan0008_zpsmup5ktiy.jpg

All local bands

The breakdown in this song is always pure insanity live, everyone goes nuts.

Back