Post Punk / Post Hardcore / Screamo / Math Core / Math Rock etc.

I went to high school in North Carolina, so here are some local bands I was able to see while I was there.

Between the Buried and Me - Probably the most famous band from NC that fits this thread

Glass Casket - shared two members with Between the Buried and Me

Beloved - maybe a little emo for this thread, but they have screaming parts and breakdowns.

Advent - featuring screamer from Beloved

Giant - now called Braveyoung. Super underrated band.

Great choices.
]
ya a 9 piece band like p99 would be very hard to keep together lol. i wish i had seen them live but never got the chance. did see some good bands covering a few of their songs but it doesn't measure up or even close really. big fan of reversal of man as well especially being from florida

ya a 9 piece band like p99 would be very hard to keep together lol. i wish i had seen them live but never got the chance. did see some good bands covering a few of their songs but it doesn't measure up or even close really. big fan of reversal of man as well especially being from florida

Yeah, I seriously considered making the trek down to Virginia for Pg.99's last show, but no one wanted to go with me, and I could only afford to go by bus, which would've turned it into a 3-4 day excursion and I couldn't take the time off work... I did see City of Caterpillar with Strike Anywhere and Colossal (who have two drummers and a trumpet player, even though they play indie rock) City of Caterpillar were amazing live. Strike Anywhere were always good too. The first time I saw Strike Anywhere was right after 9/11, they thought everyone in Canada would hate them, because they were American and "everyone hates America" ... He was pretty nervous, we talked about Action Patrol, Avail and all the other good bands from Virginia, and he calmed down. He didn't think anyone in Canada would know who Action Patrol was... He was a really nice dude. He told me to buy the album from his old band Inspiration, I bought the LP, when I went home and put it on I was pleased to hear that they were basically a poppier version of Action Patrol... He didn't tell me, and was probably laughing thinking about the surpise I would get when I put it on.

After seeing the other bands you posted including Combatwoundedveteran and knowing you were in Florida at the time, I figured you would also be a Reversal of Man fan... It's my understanding that they played a lot of shows together. Would've loved to see both bands. I have a few CombatWoundedVeteram releases. I still like the first song on their first album the best. The squealing distortion with the fast drums in the background, the intro gets me everytime. They were one of the bands that got me more into noisy hardcore. They always had cool artwork also, and you can never go wrong with silk-screened covers.

Scrotum Grinder were good too, what a name!

ya i love CWV, activate the corpses is my favorite song by them i love the drums and guitar in it. their artwork is great. i believe members from CWV are in ROM. i never got to see CWV live but i saw holy mountain a bunch and they had members from CWV as well. lol that strike anywhere story is funny. i also thought about traveling to see p99 but they have had a few "last shows" so i always thought ah i'll see them when they are closer. i've seen them on random flyers for fests

this song is so good/creepy. still don't know what the lyrics are from or if they are original or what

Todd Kowalski (aka Todd the Rod) of Propagandhi fame, was in two great HC-punk bands before joining Propagandhi. I was so happy when they announced he was replacing John (who wanted to focus on The Weakerthans and solo stuff)

I have the t-shirt inspired by this song. It has a picture of a native with the caption "we are not disadvantaged, we are targeted for destruction"

I also left their cd in my parents cd player one time while house-sitting. My dad pulled it out one day when I was visiting and said "I think this is yours" I looked and said yeah I didn't think you were a fan of "Swallowing shit"... he still thinks I'm a weirdo lmfao.

Swallowing Shit have some of the best song names of all time, such as "Christian Metal = Nazi Reggae", "If assholes could fly this place would be an airport", "I heard songs about animal rights aren't cool anymore" and "more lyrics that will offend the honkys (he's half-native)

I saw Propagandhi I think 6 times, but one time was in Oshawa and some guy in the crowd kept talking about jumping them after the show, because he didn't like their politics. My friend told Todd and he laughed, and said he wasn't worried. When they finished the tour Chris posted a picture of Todd in his Gi with his black belt :D If that drunk tried anything I'm sure he got his ass kicked... which reminds me...

@helax I read Justin Pearson's first book (which is awesome btw) and it's full of stories of him getting jumped at shows. He tells one story where he was awoken by firecrackers on his door step, he opened his door to find a demo and see a van driving off. He chases them down in his underwear and attacked the driver/guitar player/singer through the open window. The van sped off. It turns out that it was Circle Takes The Square, who wanted him to listen to their demo. He hates them now.

That guy Jesse F. Keeler who I talked about in that message, his first band was called Black Cat #13 and they released a couple 7 inches on Justin's label, 3.1.G. The singer was this hot girl, who Jesse loved and was sort-of dating, anyways she left him for Justin and he fucking hated The Locust after that. His second band was a total ripoff of the Locust, probably just to piss Justin off.

Last edited:

this song is so good/creepy. still don't know what the lyrics are from or if they are original or what

Definitely dark and creepy. Pig Destroyer likes using dark clips like that as well.

My friend had the LP so I just taped it off him. I'm pretty sure that's the only LP I've seen that plays at 45 rpm also. I can't remember what the liner notes said about it, if they did say anything. But it's pretty common for punk bands to use clips or quotes without giving credit either. I've seen the phrase "all clips used without permission" on a few albums.

I always wanted to get this album.
R-1782747-1253463784.jpeg.jpg
R-1782747-1253463821.jpeg.jpg
R-1782747-1253463831.jpeg.jpg
R-1782747-1253463813.jpeg.jpg

R-1782747-1253463804.jpeg.jpg

Even the liner notes are bad-ass... from the compilation album of all their earlier stuff, "This is not an erect all-red neon body"... no idea what that means?
R-2882441-1391186311-9835.jpeg.jpg

R-2882441-1349005519-9085.jpeg.jpg

I also left their cd in my parents cd player one time while house-sitting. My dad pulled it out one day when I was visiting and said "I think this is yours" I looked and said yeah I didn't think you were a fan of "Swallowing shit"... he still thinks I'm a weirdo lmfao.

Swallowing Shit have some of the best song names of all time, such as "Christian Metal = Nazi Reggae", "If assholes could fly this place would be an airport", "I heard songs about animal rights aren't cool anymore" and "more lyrics that will offend the honkys (he's half-native)

I saw Propagandhi I think 6 times, but one time was in Oshawa and some guy in the crowd kept talking about jumping them after the show, because he didn't like their politics. My friend told Todd and he laughed, and said he wasn't worried. When they finished the tour Chris posted a picture of Todd in his Gi with his black belt :D If that drunk tried anything I'm sure he got his ass kicked... which reminds me...

@helax I read Justin Pearson's first book (which is awesome btw) and it's full of stories of him getting jumped at shows. He tells one story where he was awoken by firecrackers on his door step, he opened his door to find a demo and see a van driving off. He chases them down in his underwear and attacked the driver/guitar player/singer through the open window. The van sped off. It turns out that it was Circle Takes The Square, who wanted him to listen to their demo. He hates them now.

That guy Jesse F. Keeler who I talked about in that message, his first band was called Black Cat #13 and they released a couple 7 inches on Justin's label, 3.1.G. The singer was this hot girl, who Jesse loved and was sort-of dating, anyways she left him for Justin and he fucking hated The Locust after that. His second band was a total ripoff of the Locust, probably just to piss Justin off.
lmao "i didn't think you were a fan of swallowing shit"

never heard them but i'll check them out

funny to read that about justin pearson i'm going to have to check out that book as well

you ever see that? he was on jerry springer lol

surprised to hear that about ctts. considering they are from GA and pearson is from cali i believe?

Definitely dark and creepy. Pig Destroyer likes using dark clips like that as well.

My friend had the LP so I just taped it off him. I'm pretty sure that's the only LP I've seen that plays at 45 rpm also. I can't remember what the liner notes said about it, if they did say anything. But it's pretty common for punk bands to use clips or quotes without giving credit either. I've seen the phrase "all clips used without permission" on a few albums.

I always wanted to get this album.

Even the liner notes are bad-ass... from the compilation album of all their earlier stuff, "This is not an erect all-red neon body"... no idea what that means?
i've got that cwv/rom split somewhere. haven't seen it in ages though. had easy access to all of their material at that time at the record store i was talking about. i have no idea what half the shit they named their songs after are about but it is intriguing lol. always loved the title "i know a girl who develops crime scene photos"

lmao "i didn't think you were a fan of swallowing shit"

never heard them but i'll check them out

funny to read that about justin pearson i'm going to have to check out that book as well

you ever see that? he was on jerry springer lol

surprised to hear that about ctts. considering they are from GA and pearson is from cali i believe?

I didn't know about until I read his book and then I looked on YouTube and saw it. I got a good laugh from it.

My good friend who I went to tons of shows with had a cousin who as an aspiring wrestler. He wrestled at a couple of hardcore punk/wrestling combo shows in Toronto. His character was named "Phil Atio" and he would beat people with dildo's, he wanted acting experience in front of a camera for his wrestling demo tape so he concocted some story about cheating on his "boyfriend" and went on Jerry Springer (as his character) in the early 90's. It was classic, he went and sat in Steve's lap and was caressing his head and hitting on him. He eventually made it to WCW I think.

CTTS were on tour in California, I forget who they were playing with but one of the bands was on 3.1.G (maybe Festival of Dead Deer) and they told CTTS where Justin lived so they could give him their demo, or e.p. It was before they signed to Robotic Empire. Justin is a bit crazy, he definitely over-reacted.

That's really cool, I'd like to hear that band they were in together too. I saw CTTS play in Guelph. It was right after they brought in the back-up guitarist, and he was struggling to keep up... They were still good though.

All Pigs Must Die (featuring members of American Nightmare/Give Up The Ghost, The Red Chord, Converge, Cave In, Mutoid Man, United Nations, Backstabbers Inc., The Hope Conspiracy and more... talk about a super-group!) (2013)

Haven't listened to these guys in at least 5 years, really good band. Forgot about them.

Shai Hulud (Would like to see these guys live, they're back together now)

d.b.s. (love these guys)

Takaru (2003) (USA)

Kaospilot (2003) (Norway)

The Death of Anna Karina (2002) (Italy)

Khere (2007) (Italy)

Bleeding Kansas

Curl Up and Die

The Great Redneck Hope

Nice choices.

Here's a really good one from the Bleeding Kansas / La Mantra de Fhiqria split 7", love those drums. About 1 minute in there's a great bass/drum solo as well. That guitar at 1:45 also, great riff.

Both their songs on that 7" were good.

Brass Knuckles for Tough Guys

Newborn (Hungary) (1999-2001) badass song

Deluge (Holland) (2003) I love fordirelifesake but this is the best song on the Deluge/fordirelifesake split.

Forstella Ford (Milwaukee) (2001)

Gomek (Florida) (2007)

Dead Friends (Florida) (2009)

The Gentle Art of Chokin' (2009) (Germany)

Back