Oregon lowering the bar to be an attorney

This may be a good idea. The Bar exam isn’t everything. If you graduated from law school, it has to count for something. They don’t just let anyone graduate.

If they graduate from Law School, they should be able to pass the bar exam with ease. If they can't, do you really want them to be your lawyer, let alone a lawyer at all?

My little bro just passed the bar in DC, which I believe lets him practice in more States than had he took a specific State bar exam. So does that mean you can't practice outside of Oregon? Doesn't matter to me honestly I have zero desire to live or do business in Oregon.

21-jump.gif

"In addition to completing 675 hours of paid legal work, participants in Oregon’s new program must submit at least eight examples of legal writing, take the lead in at least two initial client interviews or client counseling sessions, and head up two negotiations, among other requirements. The applicants' portfolios would then be graded by Oregon bar examiners, and those with qualifying scores would be sworn into the state bar."

This may be a good idea. The Bar exam isn’t everything. If you graduated from law school, it has to count for something. They don’t just let anyone graduate.

you cannot be serious. This would be like saying you don't need engineers to pass the professional engineering exams offered by the professional orgs. I guess you're good with more skywalks like the one in Florida that collapsed.

you cannot be serious. This would be like saying you don't need engineers to pass the professional engineering exams offered by the professional orgs. I guess you're good with more skywalks like the one in Florida that collapsed.
Don’t those exams test for the specific areas of engineering in which the prospective engineer would be working? Also, don’t engineers only need a bachelor’s degree to be engineers? They don’t need a graduate degree. So for that, considering hundreds or thousands of people’s lives could be ended with one mistake, it is a good idea.

Lawyers are different. The stakes aren’t the same, and it isn’t really comparable. And also, they had to have graduated from college, taken the LSAT, and graduated from law school. So I don’t know.

Did you read my post as “this is a great idea and I completely agree with not having a BAR exam?”

Because that isn’t what I wrote.

My little bro just passed the bar in DC, which I believe lets him practice in more States than had he took a specific State bar exam. So does that mean you can't practice outside of Oregon? Doesn't matter to me honestly I have zero desire to live or do business in Oregon.
I always wondered why Hillary took the bar in DC(she failed, btw). Didn't know DC bar passers have that perk.

Well now we know what the first question anyone will be asking before hiring a lawyer there in future. Did you actually pass the bar?

Who's actually going to pick the guy who didn't?

Likely the people who can’t afford a $10k retainer but still would benefit from some representation over none.

No, it doesn't. The Bar Exam sets an objective standard. You went to law school so you could pass that thing. If you can't pass it, that's telling you more than some wipe-your-ass-with-it diploma is telling you.

Well now we know what the first question anyone will be asking before hiring a lawyer there in future. Did you actually pass the bar?

I passed two of them. Stopped at the third.

THere are a lot of people that have served time due to completely incompetent legal defense. I'd say the consequences of incompetence can be dire, particularly for the poor.
There are appeals. Hell, you can even fire your counsel mid-case.
It isn’t as if it’s like a bridge that was built incorrectly and kills hundreds of people at the blink of an eye, no matter how much you want it to be for the sake of being right.

No, it doesn't. The Bar Exam sets an objective standard. You went to law school so you could pass that thing. If you can't pass it, that's telling you more than some wipe-you-ass-with-it diploma is telling you.
No, you go into law school to learn the law and it’s application. If all law school involves is learning how to pass the BAR, then that’s a good reason why the test isn’t really necessary or preferable.

What is a bar Lawyer is basicly job that you learn as you go. Nobody follows the guidelines or laws of law these days it is all how to make your client as good criminal or person and forget what he did. I mean you see who the jurors these days lawyers for sure do so they know these people will not I derstamd complicated language of law only time lawyers need their bar exam or school work is when there is no jury but judge trial

Back