Official Judo Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can never get my hip in the right place for harai, I just never seem to get the Kuzushi for it.

Also, harai is the tits. There's no stepover bail or cartwheel like with uchimata. When you're gotten, youre gone.

Harai makikomi is my 'the previously trained elsewhere guy is beating up other new white belts and sensei wants me to randori him up some humble pie' throw.

Oh, and hopping off your post leg when they're passing the apogee? Sploosh.

I feel like harai is very underused. I'm not sure why all those uchi mata experts don't seem to throw it all that often even though it's a very, very similar motion.

Harai requires complete upper body control, whereas uchimata is much more forgiving.

The only problem I've had with harai is that I often over-throw, even though I've worked hard to avoid it. That, and I got a lot of flak when I was training down south for landing on people. *Shrug*

I feel like harai is very underused. I'm not sure why all those uchi mata experts don't seem to throw it all that often even though it's a very, very similar motion.

I think it's because they're so similar, the minor differences get peoples wires crossed.

I tend toward Uchi Mata, but lately I've been trying to work in some Harai Goshi and Hane Goshi. The result? I've gone full retard on all three. MY mind knows which one I want to throw with, but my reflexes can't decide on one.

I bet the reason Zankou hasn't locked this yet is because he's on the drink tonight.

What about...

festivus_slogan.jpg

Wasted plus I have no computer, just iPhone 6, amtraveling with family for holidays, so no lock. Merry Xmas y'all!

Got promoted in Mushin Budo Aikijitsu tonight, can't get officially promoted in Judo until I pay USJA fees which I do not see happening. Stupid, greedy fucks. White belt for life.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Harai requires complete upper body control, whereas uchimata is much more forgiving.

To add to this, harai goshi and uchi mata are very different throws and if you're thinking of them as being related and/or similar in nature, you are doing yourself no favors.

Harai goshi is in essence, a circular upper body throw. People get hung up on the sweeping of the leg, but a harai goshi can be done with minimal blocking/sweeping. The principal action of a harai goshi happens at the hips and the upper body and pivots around a vertical axis.

Uchi mata is more or less a linear lower body throw. In principal, with perfect timing, you can do uchi mata with no upper body contact. With uke in a position of broken balance, feet shoulder width apart, ass out, leaning forward and on his toes, you should be able to hit uchi mata on the basis of leg action alone.

Got promoted in Mushin Budo Aikijitsu tonight, can't get officially promoted in Judo until I pay USJA fees which I do not see happening. Stupid, greedy fucks. White belt for life.

Merry Christmas everybody.

I thought you were training for MMA? I don't really know what aikijitsu is but it doesn't sound like it would be very useful for it.

We have a programme over here if you're under 25 where you get a single weave judo gi, free gradings to 5th kyu (only 2 and I think you can do them both at once) plus membership for a year for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back