Official Judo Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
whatcha think ippy? still doing run-n-slam or did we evangelize you to the light of our lord and savior hoppychop?

The discussion from a while back about how best to perform o-soto.

Oooooohhhhhh....

Yo soto practically requires a hoppychop to work, since I need to cover distance across the front of uke's body, although I have done it run-n-slam style before. It definitely works better with the hop though. I only do ippon o soto as a counter to the behind the back grips, so that ends up being a hoppychop as well. I can't even remember the last time I've done plain jane o soto outside of uchi komi.

So I guess you could say that I am now a believer in the hoppychop. I get more air time from my ukes and don't require as much force to make it happen.

Why do you call it yoko osoto? You can do most throws in different directions, so why is osoto different? The only throw with a yoko distinction is tomoenage, but the yoko version is substantially different.

Why do you call it yoko osoto? You can do most throws in different directions, so why is osoto different? The only throw with a yoko distinction is tomoenage, but the yoko version is substantially different.

That's just what I was taught to call it. Back of tori's knee pushes side of uke's knee.

Plus, aside from just being lucky enough to be in the proper position already, to get in position to throw it, you need to do a tai otoshi-style entry then cut across uke's body towards the far side. There are enough small differences (in entry, kuzushi, and reap) that I feel that there should be a distinction.

I never claimed that it should be officially recognized by the Kodokan, just that what I was taught is not o soto as it's commonly pictured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back