Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hansoku make.

These f12 threads seem to be the most active English language judo forum on the web nowadays, ironically.

Hansoku make.

These f12 threads seem to be the most active English language judo forum on the web nowadays, ironically.

Probably because they're the only ones not completely overrun with Japanophile traditionalist pedants.

Probably because they're the only ones not completely overrun with Japanophile traditionalist pedants.

That guy Chigoro Kano over at e-judo is like a walking comedy sketch. Who puts diacritics on "judo"? Like anybody is going to mispronounce it? "I thought it was 'juhd-ah,' thanks for the diacritics dude."

Pedantry is a cornerstone of judo. #10th dan for CK!

That guy Chigoro Kano over at e-judo is like a walking comedy sketch. Who puts diacritics on "judo"? Like anybody is going to mispronounce it? "I thought it was 'juhd-ah,' thanks for the diacritics dude."

Actually, it's quite possible you are. In Japanese there is a difference between pronouncing a vowel for a long or short period. It's not obvious to me when that is the case when spelled in English.

Actually, it's quite possible you are. In Japanese there is a difference between pronouncing a vowel for a long or short period. It's not obvious to me when that is the case when spelled in English.
Yeah, but only pedants bother with that kind of stuff, especially with words we all know. I can't figure out if CK actually practices judo or if he just spends all his waking hours cobbling up his walls of text from assorted sources cause he likes the sound of his own voice.

I train judo at a Japanese language school ... half the people there speak Japanese, many are native Japanese. In class, we all say judo the same way.

I know you can say it with more or less of a Japanese accent ... for example, the 'o' can be more emphatic and longer, and Japanese lacks the heavy accent alternation of English ... but people would look at you like a freak if you did that. You might as well write only in kanji if you wanted to be that pedantic.

When I was like 16 I always said I'd get judo in kanji tattooed on me when I got my first dan.

Glad I grew out of that idea, I'd have looked like a right nob.

If JudokaUK were still around he might be able to fill us in about CK, whom he had little respect for. I believe it came down to CK claiming to be a student of Okano, and others doubts about that.

E-Judo is good for the Documentary & History sub-forum, for anything else, here is better.

If JudokaUK were still around he might be able to fill us in about CK, whom he had little respect for. I believe it came down to CK claiming to be a student of Okano, and others doubts about that.

E-Judo is good for the Documentary & History sub-forum, for anything else, here is better.

I never found out what the whole hubbub was about. I think the posts were deleted before I saw them.

Not sure what the big deal about Okano is though. Lots of people were his "students" as he runs a dojo in Japan. I've been there myself.

Whatever happened to JudokaUK? I enjoyed his technique posts; really helped me to understand some underlying concepts.

Is the premier English language judo forum really on Sherdog???

f12 might as well be called "BJJ Technique"...

I train judo at a Japanese language school ... half the people there speak Japanese, many are native Japanese. In class, we all say judo the same way.

I'm having a tough time thinking of anyone there of Japanese ethnicity that practices and isn't nisei or sansei... Most of them are native Californians and speak Japanese with a Californian accent. ;)

Whatever happened to JudokaUK? I enjoyed his technique posts; really helped me to understand some underlying concepts.

he said he didn't have anything else to write about. it was kinda like when Forrest quit running.

I recently read that the IJF has changed its standards/rules for uniforms again, the big change being that uniforms would have to be thinner in order to be easier to grip. The article specifically said that many previously IJF-approved uniforms would no longer be legal.

a) Have you guys ready anything about this?

b) If it's true, what are the odds that a whole wackload of nice previously IJF-approved will get dumped at clearance prices? Cause I wouldn't mind getting me one of those for training purposes. ;)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

I specifically got the Yusho Comp because it was IJF legal, so I would have one less non-competition thing to worry about when I went to compete....

Joe, do you have a link?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF...

I specifically got the Yusho Comp because it was IJF legal, so I would have one less non-competition thing to worry about when I went to compete....

Joe, do you have a link?

Unless you get on the US squad you won't need an IJF legal gi.

I've seen guys in Dax Moskitos at national comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back