Obama Portrait artist - Kehinde Wiley controversy | Page 4

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Pseudo Sane, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SaiWa Brown Belt

SaiWa
    Why feed a troll?

But you are right u are not the one that's triggered in here... forgive me. Just had my first cup of coffe and I am still on Australian time zone...

Kafir-kun and MicroBrew like this.
  2. Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room

Rational Poster
    Was he black tho?

3. Rational Poster Scourge of the War Room

Rational Poster
    I like Michelle's better even if it doesn't look like her much.

Obama is sitting in that chair weird even if it really looks like him.

Kafir-kun and superking like this.
  4. cincymma79 Red Belt

cincymma79
    Who cares

5. Pseudo Sane Brown Belt

Pseudo Sane
    Christianity is Semitic in origin and universal in aspiration. Anyone who thinks that Christianity is somehow a white American religion is being deliberately obtuse.

6. Pseudo Sane Brown Belt

Pseudo Sane
    Lol. This looks like my quote rather than the artists.

I think it is a bit odd too.

7. MicroBrew Steel Belt

MicroBrew
    Yes it is mostly Semitic, and Semites (by and large) are considered Caucasoid and classified as White by the US gov.

It does aim to be a universal message, but from a secular rationalist P.O.V. one can not escape the fact it was started by MiddleEastern Caucasoids and its messenger is Caucasoid.

What are the odds of White Americans being Christian if the religion was founded in Sub Saharan Africa and Jesus looked like a Bantu speaker or if the religion was started by Amerindians.

Cuzcatlan and Kafir-kun like this.
  8. Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card

Mark Cutting
    They either plead down or there were additional charges.

9. Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card

Mark Cutting
    That's nest about your dad's band. Very cool.

10. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges

Ruprecht
    It's not the artist's quote, it's the article's author. They are referring to his well known practice of obtaining his models from the streets.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  11. Overpressure Titanium Belt

Overpressure
    Isn't Christianity technically an African religion?

12. Pseudo Sane Brown Belt

Pseudo Sane
    Pretty good, in my opinion? Christianity has been pretty transformative and has made serious inroads in basically every culture it has encountered, so it is reasonably safe to assume that Christianity would have made those cultures look very different over the last 2000 years, and that people would still have picked it up regardless of its origin.

You don't have to agree with Christianity or understand why people find it attractive, but it spread as a religion to so many different peoples because it appealed to them, not for no reason at all.

Honestly the African church's claim to ownership of Christianity is equal to that of Europe and America.

Also lol at caucasoid.

13. redwire Few and Far Between

redwire
    I agree with the bolded - I would be more concerned about the stylistic shift. This isn't just 'art', this is a presidential portrait, which I would assume is intended for the ages. Getting Picasso to officially do a cubist version of Taft might be 'great art', but it wouldn't be a 'great presidential portrait'. Realism is timeless, but stylistic renderings come and go and may eventually be considered somewhat cliche or even corny.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  14. nac386 Gold Belt

nac386
    I am not a fan of the portraits. Barack's is definitely better than Michelle's, but neither is a style that I am really fan of. Michelle's doesn't even really look like her. I don't think I'd even be able to identify that as Michelle Obama if I saw it.

As for the "controversy," I think it's silly. The portraits of the Obamas are perfectly fine, nothing at all controversial. If the artist who completed one of the portraits has previously done art work that you do not like, then don't buy that artist's art work. Anybody who has ever been to a modern art museum should not be surprised, offended, or have their feelings hurt by paintings.

This reminds me a bit of all the phony outrage over Obama inviting Common to the White House.

15. MicroBrew Steel Belt

MicroBrew
    I disagree the odds are pretty good of White America accepting Christianity if it was an African religion. There is simply no way that most Whites would have ever prayed to and elevated a Sub Saharan African as god's son, considering the racial attitudes prevalent in America towards Blacks.

Yes it is appealing but it also spread in some areas by force or coersion. And it would not have been adopted by Europeans and MiddleEastern people if most of the figures were Black Africans. Both regions have historically viewed Blacks as inferior, and the MENA region still views Blacks as inferior.

Christianity in what is continental Africa is older than Europe, but we are talking about adoption of Christianity, not the foundational origin of the religion.

I mention "Caucasoid" because race matters, it has been a defining feature of MiddleEastern and European society. Even when we look at the Old Testament, we see that Semites demonized dark skinned people. From a rationalist POV, the religion was obviously not started by Asians or Africans. And if it were, it would not have caught on in Europe or the MiddleEast, especially the later.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  16. HatchetHarry Green Belt

HatchetHarry
    This doesn’t surprise me. The entire Obama family are disgusting racists. Michelle is especially a racist piece of shit. Her comments when Barrack won the presidency were disgusting.

Palis and jaredmc16 like this.
  17. MicroBrew Steel Belt

MicroBrew
    It's origins go back to the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh. The conquering Semites adopted the Sumeria creation myth and then over time fashioned the Abrahamic religion. It may technically have a lot to owe to Egyptian religious ideas, but people don't generally associate Egypt with African culture, because the later alludes to SubSaharan Africans.

18. Pseudo Sane Brown Belt

Pseudo Sane
    Why is Christianity so popular in Africa?

For example, there are more practicing Anglicans in Africa than in the UK at this point.

Are Subsaharan Africans just more open-minded?

Also, where in the old testament did semities demonize dark-skinned people? Not saying it didn't happen, just curious what you are referring to.

19. Sir GymTanLaundry Brown Belt

Sir GymTanLaundry
    All that art in this post looks like shit. Your post is good though. Props.

20. MicroBrew Steel Belt

MicroBrew
    Michelle was just being blunt. To the right that makers her uppity, and the right hates uppity or outspoken Blacks. The right only wants passive docile Blacks who will accept and be content with White dominance. They hate the Obamas, like they hate any liberal or Democrat Black politician, because they (the right) perceives the Obamas as not accepting America as a country where White rule should not be questioned.

Kafir-kun likes this.