International Artist says he'll destroy $45M worth of Rembrandt, Picasso and Warhol masterpieces if Julian Assange dies in prison

Assange doesn't belong in prison. This is some serious human rights violations because he outed Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party.

No, I don't want the art destroyed. Those are amazing artists and I am sure pieces. It's a stupid way to go about things.

Lol stop. It was Trump's DOJ that decided to go after Assange. They aren't going after him over Hillary's emails. They are going after him for reporting the war crimes the U.S. was committing overseas.

I'm baffled why you are baffled. Why in the world would you think not being a US citizen gives someone immunity to acquire and release US classified documents? Have you never heard of International Law?

This guy F'ed around and found out why people don't do this shit and certainly don't brag about it for clout when he also really sucks at hiding. His life is not at risk, but it will be completely miserable when he joins El Chapo at ADX, who is not a US citizen either.

Journalists have the legal freedom and I'd argue moral obligation to report classified material. Perhaps you'd better review this legal case:

The U.S. prosecution of Assange is insane overreach and a direct attack on freedom of the press.

Journalists have the legal freedom and I'd argue moral obligation to report classified material. Perhaps you'd better review this legal case:

The U.S. prosecution of Assange is insane overreach and a direct attack on freedom of the press.

There are several distinctions between these cases but I think the most critical is going to be intent to cause harm. The NYT took action to redact all identifying information from the documents they published, Assange did not. He knowingly posted documents containing identities of specific individuals and their roles that undoubtedly put their lives at risk showing zero regard for life so should be held accountable for that.

Also the NYT case is different in that they were a major US media company and the political controversy around the Vietnam war had been growing for a long time leading up to the case so in that context it was important for the Supreme Court to set the precedent that the government cannot just classify all documents to cover up incriminating evidence. Assange does not have that same context.

You mean the guy who said he would turn himself in if Obama gave manning clemency didn’t turn himself in? Definition of a coward.

The Espionage Act only applies to US people.
Assange lost his remaining credibility with me when he pulled his midnight "October surprise" book launch bollocks.
Although when he turned Wikileaks into his personal promotional and political platform rather than it's original role, that was the beginning of the end.
Even so, it disgusts me how our government will abandon our citizens to the US. Assange not being the first by a long shot, and unlikely to be the last.

I'm baffled why you are baffled. Why in the world would you think not being a US citizen gives someone immunity to acquire and release US classified documents? Have you never heard of International Law?

This guy F'ed around and found out why people don't do this shit and certainly don't brag about it for clout when he also really sucks at hiding. His life is not at risk, but it will be completely miserable when he joins El Chapo at ADX, who is not a US citizen either.

Chelsea Manning handed over classified files to Assange. Wikileaks simply published the files. That's the same shit any outlet like the NY Times does. The only reason the US is out to get him is because the government was embarrassed by their misconduct being revealed.

Chelsea Manning handed over classified files to Assange. Wikileaks simply published the files. That's the same shit any outlet like the NY Times does. The only reason the US is out to get him is because the government was embarrassed by their misconduct being revealed.
The NY times does not publish secret/TS classified information .. Are you high in this thread or something lol... No media publics classified information without getting in trouble

Assange lost his remaining credibility with me when he pulled his midnight "October surprise" book launch bollocks.
Although when he turned Wikileaks into his personal promotional and political platform rather than it's original role, that was the beginning of the end.
Even so, it disgusts me how our government will abandon our citizens to the US. Assange not being the first by a long shot, and unlikely to be the last.

Do you endorse his imprisonment?

Do you endorse his imprisonment?
Not at all. For that matter I didn't support the imprisonment of David Hicks.
At this stage even our own slack politicians are finally saying enough's, enough. Which is something given how they usually kowtow to the US.

One thing I'll notice is when protests are symbolic and meaningless the rights mocks the left for being stupid and when the protests are serious they bitch about going too far and how we're all violent animals.

They just want us to accept the regime any bitching about the style one protests was never sincere.

Coordinating the theft of secret documents is a bit different than just reporting on it.

Coordinating the theft of secret documents is a bit different than just reporting on it.

He published the documents Chelsea Manning gave him. If you have any information to the contrary feel free to share.

Anyone who values the first amendment and knowing what our government does should support Assange. Stop malding over 2016 and Hillary. Support our constitutional rights.

He published the documents Chelsea Manning gave him. If you have any information to the contrary feel free to share.

Anyone who values the first amendment and knowing what our government does should support Assange. Stop malding over 2016 and Hillary. Support our constitutional rights.
I don't support Assange's release of classified information. He'll have his day in court and the burden of proof is on the prosecution. I'm sure the Ecuadorians are glad to finally have him out of their embassy.

I've always wondered why some crazy rich person hasn't done anything like this before.

Imagine if Michael Jackson decided to lock up the entire Beatles catalog of music into a trust and never let anybody broadcast or distribute it just as a big middle finger to everybody calling him a pedo. I would have LOL'd.

Trump has essentially done that with an entire country instead of artwork lol

Long live wiki leaks and Assange, exposing US war crimes and genocides and illegal criminal actions that they think they cannot be made accountable for, but they can. Assange is a hero of our times and how he has been treated is a disgrace. If this art project brings a bit more attention to the topic its a good thing.

According to the indictment and evidence cited within, Assange's involvement was deeper than simply publishing. He was actively involved pursuing classified documents, encouraging Manning to obtain and provide the documents to him as well as how to perform the "hacking".

Also I said before Assange publishing the documents without redacting personal information directly put specific people's lives in danger making it not the same at all as what official media outlets do.

An artist in the south of France says he's planning to destroy up to $45 million worth of art, including pieces by Rembrandt, Picasso, and Andy Warhol, if WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange dies in prison, British broadcaster Sky News reports.

Andrei Molodkin told Sky that he put a collection of masterpieces that had been donated to him into a 29-ton safe hooked up to two barrels — one containing an acid powder and the other containing an accelerator — which, when pumped into the safe, will create a reaction strong enough to destroy all its contents.

The project is called "Dead Man's Switch," and it is backed by Assange's wife, Stella. Assange is currently in jail in the U.K. awaiting his final appeal over extradition to the United States to face charges under the Espionage Act, which will take place later this month. WikiLeaks published thousands of leaked documents relating to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Assange is alleged to have conspired to obtain and disclose U.S. national defense information.

The WikiLeaks founder denies any wrongdoing, and his lawyer says his life is at risk if he loses his appeal.

"In our catastrophic time — when we have so many wars — to destroy art is much more taboo than to destroy the life of a person," Molodkin, who is originally from Russia but now lives in France, told Sky News. "Since Julian Assange has been in prison... freedom of expression, freedom of speech, freedom of information has started to be more and more repressed. I have this feeling very strongly now."

The safe will be sealed on Friday at Molodkin's studio in France, and it will eventually be moved to a museum, Sky News reports.

Molodkin says that the safe will be hooked up to a 24-hour timer which must be reset every day or else it will trigger the release of the two barrel's corrosive substances inside. He says, each day, the timer will only be reset when someone "close to Assange" confirms he is alive.

Giampaolo Abbondio, a Milan art gallery owner, told Sky News he initially rejected Molodkin's idea, but has now donated a Picasso to the project.

Pretty crazy but understandable.

Would you pick a human life or a masterpieces by artists that died many years ago?

According to the indictment and evidence cited within, Assange's involvement was deeper than simply publishing. He was actively involved pursuing classified documents, encouraging Manning to obtain and provide the documents to him as well as how to perform the "hacking".

Also I said before Assange publishing the documents without redacting personal information directly put specific people's lives in danger making it not the same at all as what official media outlets do.

Yea the primary charge is that Assange helped Chelsea Manning crack a password on one computer. But the evidence is super thin. They discussed it but Manning was not successful.

Back