NINTENDO SWITCH Official Discussion v3: Still noobs at online gaming

Rumour: Switch's Hidden NES Golf Game Is A Tribute To The Late Satoru Iwata

A while back we reported on the news that each and every Switch console has a hidden copy of the NES game Golf inside it, and now we're seeing evidence that would suggest its placement is a tribute to the late Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, who passed away in 2015.

Switchbrew has found a way of launching the game, which requires the Joy-Cons to be detached and a hand gesture - not entirely dissimilar to Iwata's famous "Direct" signal - to be performed. Doing this successfully plays a short voice sample of Iwata before launching the game.

Before you all go rushing to your consoles to replicate this sequence, it should be noted that the Switch's date must be set to July 11th - the same date on which Iwata passed away. The catch here is that the Switch's time synchronisation is handled server-side, so if you've already connected your console to the internet there is unfortunately no way of fooling it with a bogus date; it apparently needs to be on version 1.0.0, too. Unless you have a factory-sealed console lying around somewhere, it's hard to test this out.

Even so, we've seen people posting videos online showing the unlock process:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lf_game_is_a_tribute_to_the_late_satoru_iwata

It's pretty wild what they can cram into a portable these days. I get that it's not going to be as smooth as the console and PC version, but I'm really impressed what they can squeeze into the Switch. It totally changes work travel and family vacations for me. Bringing a console for a long trip is a pain and bringing my Vita is passable but I feel like I'm playing a portable. The Switch has been great so far to have portability and console experience on the go.

Game is dope. My brother and I have been big Rob Gilbert fans since the first Monkey Island and we each backed it on kickstarter and got our voicemail recordings put in the phone book.

He got an autographed hard copy too

Just picked one up later Saturday. Mainly playing Zelda so far. I have Mario kart 8 as well. Going to get Mario + rabbids a little latet once I get bored of Zelda or beat it.

Just picked one up later Saturday. Mainly playing Zelda so far. I have Mario kart 8 as well. Going to get Mario + rabbids a little latet once I get bored of Zelda or beat it.

how do you like it?

how do you like it?

It's funny I played Zelda BOTW on my PC and it ran really great looks just about as good as it does now on my Switch. The Switch has some extra fog type filter though that adds to the game. Anyways when I played it on PC I got past the first area and got my paraglider and got to the first town. Kind of got bored and stopped playing after that.

This time around it just seems so much more enjoyable playing on my switch. I have my wife driving everywhere while I just play it. I can tell Zelda will be taking up a good portion of my time for now so not even worried about what comes out next.

Finished Mario + Rabbids. Gonna go back and get some of the secrets. This was my most played Switch game aside from Zelda so far. Was really hard to put down.

Yea looking forward to diving into this one once I finish Zelda.

It's funny I played Zelda BOTW on my PC and it ran really great looks just about as good as it does now on my Switch. The Switch has some extra fog type filter though that adds to the game. Anyways when I played it on PC I got past the first area and got my paraglider and got to the first town. Kind of got bored and stopped playing after that.

This time around it just seems so much more enjoyable playing on my switch. I have my wife driving everywhere while I just play it. I can tell Zelda will be taking up a good portion of my time for now so not even worried about what comes out next.

I recommend playing with the pro HUD, it brings the immersion up to another level. I wish I did that before I beat the game the first time... Playing with pro HUD in master mode though.

I recommend playing with the pro HUD, it brings the immersion up to another level. I wish I did that before I beat the game the first time... Playing with pro HUD in master mode though.

Nice tip. This should be the default mode when playing the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back