NHL Finals Discussion: Besmirching Bergevin Edition

Were the 1988 and 1990 Bruins an "all time great" team? Moog took them to the finals twice. That's aside from his three Cups with Edmonton. Once he left the Oilers, he was one of the premier goalies in the NHL for another team.

He split his time in Edmonton. So that entire period gets a *. Then he was great for a bit with the Bruins and ok for the rest of his career as he drifted back into a time splitting role.

He was great. He wasn't an all time elite goaltender and doesn't belong in the hall of fame

Take away the rings he earned (largely from the bench) and that isn't even close to a hall of fame resume . Even with them there's no Vezina, no elite stats other than wins (which lol Oilers in the 80s) and he didn't carry the Bruins or anything he was just a part of the run. The best season of his career (in Boston) he came 5th in Vezina voting and rightfully so. He was never one of the best goaltenders in the league he was just very good. He had a hell of a career. Doesn't belong in the hall

He split his time in Edmonton. So that entire period gets a *. Then he was great for a bit with the Bruins and ok for the rest of his career as he drifted back into a time splitting role.

He was great. He wasn't an all time elite goaltender and doesn't belong in the hall of fame

Take away the rings he earned (largely from the bench) and that isn't even close to a hall of fame resume . Even with them there's no Vezina, no elite stats other than wins (which lol Oilers in the 80s) and he didn't carry the Bruins or anything he was just a part of the run. The best season of his career (in Boston) he came 5th in Vezina voting and rightfully so. He was never one of the best goaltenders in the league he was just very good. He had a hell of a career. Doesn't belong in the hall

He largely carried the Bruins in 1990 and would have won the Conn Smythe if the Bruins had won the series and maybe even if they had taken it to game seven and lost. His GAA was better than Ranford's and the best in the entire playoffs, as were his 2 shutouts.

He never won the Vezina, but he was top 8 in voting eight times. Goalies can't be perfectly compared to skaters, but any player than finished top-8 in scoring eight times or top-8 in Hart voting eight times would be an automatic Hall of Famer.

Also, he finished 3rd in Vezina voting (finalist) once, which is better than the 5th place you cited as his best.

I have him above the cutoff for the Hall of Fame, personally. Not by much, but on the right side of the line.

He largely carried the Bruins in 1990 and would have won the Conn Smythe if the Bruins had won the series and maybe even if they had taken it to game seven and lost. His GAA was better than Ranford's and the best in the entire playoffs, as were his 2 shutouts.

He never won the Vezina, but he was top 8 in voting eight times. Goalies can't be perfectly compared to skaters, but any player than finished top-8 in scoring eight times or top-8 in Hart voting eight times would be an automatic Hall of Famer.

Also, he finished 3rd in Vezina voting (finalist) once, which is better than the 5th place you cited as his best.

I have him above the cutoff for the Hall of Fame, personally. Not by much, but on the right side of the line.

There were like 230 forwards and a few defensemen competing for the Hart in those days and 38 goalies competing for the Vezina. That's not even remotely the same thing. Technically if you even make it to the NHL as a goalie you're all star quality at your position relative to position players. If that was a valid argument the Hall of Fame would be at least half goalies which is crazy

Top 8 is not anything. There were 19 teams top 8 means you're above average. Top 3 once is great like I said he was a good goalie but if he has one top 3 appearance and some rings he won from the bench to add to non-HOF stats he doesn't make it for me

There were like 230 forwards and a few defensemen competing for the Hart in those days and 38 goalies competing for the Vezina. That's not even remotely the same thing. Technically if you even make it to the NHL as a goalie you're all star quality at your position relative to position players. If that was a valid argument the Hall of Fame would be at least half goalies which is crazy

Top 8 is not anything. There were 19 teams top 8 means you're above average. Top 3 once is great like I said he was a good goalie but if he has one top 3 appearance and some rings he won from the bench to add to non-HOF stats he doesn't make it for me

There were 21 teams at the beginning of his career and 26 in the later part of his career. Not a massive difference, but those are the numbers.

Honest question here.

Can someone explain why there's been so much hype surrounding Jordan Weal?

Honest question here.

Can someone explain why there's been so much hype surrounding Jordan Weal?
Eh, he's got a lot of skill and speed, but he's pretty small and not exactly a young prospect anymore. If you're going to make an impact, shouldn't it happen by 25? I'd say he's getting more hype than usual because the Philly prospect cupboard is packed, and he could be part of that next wave.

Where the fuck are the trades?

I don't give a flying fuck about Scandella. Last year was fun, this is boring me.

We're going to lose Radulov and Markov. I just know it. The only way losing Radulov is acceptable is if we successfully peel Leon away from Edmonton with an offer sheet. Chia's on record saying that's not going to be happening, though.

We're going to lose Radulov and Markov. I just know it. The only way losing Radulov is acceptable is if we successfully peel Leon away from Edmonton with an offer sheet. Chia's on record saying that's not going to be happening, though.
Radulov was always a white elephant. He was either going to fail miserably and bring the team down or perform well and price himself out of the Canadiens range. We'll see who lands him, lots of teams could use scoring on the wings.

I'm going to assume the Canadiens lose Markov, panic, and pay Alzner 5 a season for 6 years. It'll be glorious.

I'm going to assume the Canadiens lose Markov, panic, and pay Alzner 5 a season for 6 years. It'll be glorious.

cYanmPn.gif

Haven't watched TSN in forever, forgot how much I wanted to bone Kate Beirness.

Natasha is my girl, stay the fuck away!!

I'd do dirty unspeakable things....

Whats ur thoughts on this Prok? Markov is all but gone now homie.

Well, time to drink Twisted Tea all day and watch old white men check their cellphones.

Lol. Remember when Aaron ward left the tsn panel in the middle of a broadcast and the came back with the breaking news that Iginla had been traded to the bruins?

Back