NHL Finals Discussion: Besmirching Bergevin Edition

Always loved the flower, even when everyone ragged him.
Will miss that guy and his class acts in pitts. I hope he can help vegas.

Sidenote: tyler kennedy did similar in sault ste marie. His neighbor back home has downs, he invited the kid to hang in his garage with his other neighbors since he was a huge pitts fan.

Not the worst contract in the world, and the AAV is great, but I will never understand Bergy's unwillingness to gamble on players. Even if players ''prove'' themselves to you, it's possible for them to regress. Not gambling on players just means you never have any particularly good deals unless a youngster overperforms on their ELC.

Perfect example: Radulov. What on earth was the idea behind a 1 year deal? It literally can't pay off. If he plays well, you risk losing him or having to pay way more.

I would've preferred 5 years at a slightly higher AAV.

My mind remembered this post when I read about the Arvidsson contract today. Locking in a rising star long-term at a discount. Of course, being part of a functional organization helps keep prices down.

My mind remembered this post when I read about the Arvidsson contract today. Locking in a rising star long-term at a discount. Of course, being part of a functional organization helps keep prices down.

Word. Great deal for Nashville. Poile's killing it. What do want to bet there are at least a handful of posts on the habs board bashing Poile for it?

How Poile has been able to work with the Cap is something evil. My money is on him selling his soul to the devil just before the PK deal.

Word. Great deal for Nashville. Poile's killing it. What do want to bet there are at least a handful of posts on the habs board bashing Poile for it?
Oh, I'm sure there's some talk about how 7 years is too long a term and he could regress. Of course, they are paying him below market value NOW, and he could get better. Players like when you have confidence in them. Poile might have made a couple misteps this off-season, but when it matters he usually swings for the fences.

Oh, I'm sure there's some talk about how 7 years is too long a term and he could regress. Of course, they are paying him below market value NOW, and he could get better. Players like when you have confidence in them. Poile might have made a couple misteps this off-season, but when it matters he usually swings for the fences.

Losing Neal for nothing smarts, but I'm not convinced they'll really feel it. A lot depends on Fiala, Aberg, and to a much lesser extent Kamenev. Aberg looked really good in the finals.

Losing Neal for nothing smarts, but I'm not convinced they'll really feel it. A lot depends on Fiala, Aberg, and to a much lesser extent Kamenev. Aberg looked really good in the finals.
Yeah, I'd say Edmonton or Nashville are my early West picks. Fisher needs to be a leader AND contribute offensively. The Emelin/Wilson deals were underwhelming. And like you said, the young folk needs to click. I can't wait for the season, I have so many questions.

Oilers are gunna be such a force next year. Don't sleep on the Stars too. As long as Bishop is an average goalie at worse, they'll be back in the yoffs for sure.

My concerns with the Oilers and Preds are both goalie related. They need to give Talbot a few less starts so they don't burn him out, and their defense needs to help him out so they don't get wrecked like Getzlaf did in the semis.
Preds need to hope for another insane post-season from Rinne. He has a great situation as a goalie, but his window is closing.

And.... Joey!!!

636368552285073702-Ryan-Jo-01.jpg

Johansen signs eight-year, $64 million contract with Predators
Center's deal runs through 2024-25 season, has average annual value of $8 million
by Robby Stanley / NHL.com Correspondent July 28th, 2017
https://www.nhl.com/news/nashville-predators-sign-ryan-johansen-to-contract/c-290185014

Ha, Markov out, Streit in. I just...

I made an offseason thread and got it stickied, lets let Bergevin slamming keep it alive. But yeah, I knew you guys were going to lose Markov. At least he spent his whole career as a Hab, hopefully fans will appreciate the mediocre teams he gritted his teeth through.

Back