NFL Discussion v 42: Mike Holmes is still a can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Pro Football Focus. It's a great site.

Ahhh that first email notification about Fantasy Football. It's almost time

It's not almost time. Its still a month and a half away from a fantasy draft.
It gets closer and closer everyday.
giphy.gif

The Megatron comments about partly retiring because of the near zero chance of winning a ring in Detroit are horribly depressing

Detoilet crushed the soul of another all time great

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...n-retiring-no-chance-super-bowl-detroit-lions

Calvin Johnson: Lions' losing was factor in retirement decision

A year after retiring, Calvin Johnson has admitted playing for the Detroit Lionswas a factor in his decision to walk away from the NFL.

When he retired last year, Johnson cited the beating his body was taking after nine years in the NFL as the reason he left the league. Last week in Italy, Johnson was more candid about the Lions' fortunes being just as important in his decision.

Johnson, who was in Italy to present the game ball for Italian Bowl XXXVII, the American football championship game in the country, was asked by reporters if he ever thought about switching teams.

"Of course, I thought about it. Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it's not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.

"I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them," he said. "I didn't see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn't worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall and not going anywhere.

"It's the definition of insanity," he added, drawing laughter from the media in attendance.

Johnson, 31, was interviewed for ESPN's E:60 last year three months after retiring and largely deflected questions whether the Lions' failure on the field led to his retirement. The furthest he would go was saying, "if [the Lions] would have been a contender it would have been harder to let go."

Johnson, a six-time Pro Bowl selection, made the postseason only once with the Lions (in 2011, which consisted of one game after the Saints beat the Lions in the wild-card round).

Johnson's comments last week came two months after he told the Detroit Free Press that he wasn't happy with how the Lions treated him on his way out. The team also made him repay $1 million of his signing bonus when he retired.

The Megatron comments about partly retiring because of the near zero chance of winning a ring in Detroit are horribly depressing
Just beat me.

Also that dude was great to watch even as a Bears fan. Watching him an Tillman go at twice a year was beautiful. Too bad they both played for cancerous ownership groups and front offices.

Can't say I agree with his comments. He could have gotten out of Detroit if he didn't sign that huge contract. Take the franchise tag for a year, 2 tops and then walk when it's impossible to franchise you again. It would have cost the Lions like 10M in dead cap that year + future cap penalties to cut him. Lol it's easy for him to say "just cut me" because he collects a portion of that contract.

Unretire and come join Marshawn imo.

Raiders have enough guys who drop the ball already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back